All Tesla Cars Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

Tomorrow is a big step towards fully autonomous cars.

Ludicrous +  ... 0-60 in 2.4  (.1 quicker than Ludicrous)

More Info ...

Last week, Tesla pushed the first phase of ‘Enhanced Autopilot’ to the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet. At the time, Tesla hoped to switch the rest of the fleet to active mode by the end of the week, but the company decided to push a new version of the update before going ahead.

CEO Elon Musk confirmed today that the new version will roll out tomorrow in active mode for the first 1,000 vehicles and in shadow mode for the rest of the fleet again. They are again aiming to switch the fleet to active mode by the end of the week.

Good news for Tesla owners with the first generation Autopilot hardware though, Musk said that the new update will also improve Autopilot on their cars:

/snip

Full Article at Electrek

Question for those who have those self-driving cars,

After you were dropped off at home and you tell the car to go to your wife work to pick her up, will it be able to drive itself to her work to get her while no one is in the car before picking her up?

Or a person must be in the car in order for the car to drive itself?

1 hour ago, TAZMINATOR said:

After you were dropped off at home and you tell the car to go to your wife work to pick her up, will it be able to drive itself to her work to get her while no one is in the car before picking her up?

Depends on what the laws will be, but I see no reason you couldn't have your car drive itself home and plug itself in, or go do other tasks (like I've heard suggested - be an Uber car). Could (possibly) eliminate the need for parking structures.

1 hour ago, TAZMINATOR said:

As Emn1ty said, state law is a limiting factor but that barriers are falling.

Michigan legalized unattended self-driving cars late last year, the first state to do so, and major driverless cars test centers are being built here including at the former site of the WW-2 bomber plant at Willow Run Airport. It's a full embracing of a driverless future.

Elon Musk has said automated charging is also in the works for Supercharger stations, which should allow you to fly to another state on a trip and have your car meet you at the destination. Or, you could have it come to your phone cross country for a drive home.

It's gonna be weird.

18 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Depends on what the laws will be, but I see no reason you couldn't have your car drive itself home and plug itself in, or go do other tasks (like I've heard suggested - be an Uber car). Could (possibly) eliminate the need for parking structures.

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

As Emn1ty said, state law is a limiting factor but that barrier is falling. Michigan legalized unattended self-driving cars late last year, the first state to do so, and major driverless cars test centers are being built here including at the former site of the WW-2 bomber plant at Willow Run Airport.

Elon Musk has said automated charging is also in the works for Supercharger stations, which should allow you to fly to another state on a trip and have your car meet you at the destination. Or, you could have it come to your phone cross country for a drive home.

It's gonna be weird.

Once the car gets home after picking her up, I can charge the car up... Not a problem.  My brother has a new car but has no self driving feature... His car can charge the battery while being on the road. No charging booth needed.

The reason I asked is that my brother said he would love to have a self-driving car that can send his car to pick someone up and then it drives itself back to his place. I told him I don't know if it's possible but you must be in the car to watch for something happens to the car such as break down, accidents, something like that.  Not sure how the laws work for the accidents with no one in it. Probably putting "Self Driving Car" on the police report. :laugh:

We will see when that day comes and how it goes.

Besides Tesla, Ford plans to deliver autonomous cars without a steering wheel or pedals by 2021, and GM partnered with Lyft to field a fleet of autonomous electric taxis in 5 years.

taxi.jpg

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

Besides Tesla, Ford plans to deliver autonomous cars without a steering wheel or pedals by 2021, and GM partnered with Lyft to field a fleet of autonomous electric taxis in 5 years.

2021 is not far away .. it would be here before you know it.

I hope I would be around to see those cars by then.

What's really moved this are faster than expected advances in technology; AI is moving very fast, inexpensive phased array radars on a chip (in Tesla's case - an imaging radar), inexpensive LIDAR (laser based "radar,") sonar, high precision Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) GPS, etc.

Tesla is using an NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 AI supercomputer in their cars, running a neural net AI for machine vision, sonar, and radar processing.

• 3 weeks later...