Nintendo NX reveal today @ 7:00AM PT/ 10:00AM ET

Does absolutely nothing for me and I'm not sure exactly who its even targeted at either. The entire video made me cringe, instead of being social and active bring your console with you! No one is going to use it like how it was displayed in any of the scenes shown. 

If I want to sit around and play games with my friends it will be online in front of a 80" TV laying on the couch, not an 8" screen on the park bench. For them selling this to parents, it's just going to look like an over expensive 3DS or Vita. And I just can't imagine anyone buying this as portable gaming system at $400+ or what ever the cost will be.

Would of loved to have just been given a Nintendo with PS4pro specs.

Edited by Vandalsquad
  • Like 1

What a mess & a kick in the balls to anyone that purchased the Wii U. :laugh:

It being a hybrid means it gains & loses the portability at the same time. It's portable in the sense that you can play it anywhere. However, its also way larger, so it won't fit in your pockets like pure handhelds (3DS & Vita). 

From the footage they've showed, it doesn't look any more powerful than the Wii U. The Switch controller when used a portable has similar traits to  the Wii U gamepad. Though the buttons & sticks have been rearranged, and the d-pad has a weirder design. Design wise the Switch looks pretty ugly.

Obviously they haven't shown everything yet, including the games they & third parties are working on. All we know is that there's Zelda, Mario & Wii U ports. So can't really judge that aspect until the launch titles are revealed. I would also be curious to find out if they have modernized their online systems. I would sure hope so.

Hopefully it will seem more appealing once they release more info.

Edited by LimeMaster
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Does absolutely nothing for me and I'm not sure exactly who its even targeted at either.

Current 3DS owners, current Wii U owners, and anyone else they can convince to come along.

The entire video made me cringe, instead of being social and active bring your console with you! No one is going to use it like how it was displayed in any of the scenes shown. 

I don't know what it's like where you live but walking "being social and active" isn't going on a lot where I live.  Teens and kids all have their faces burried in smart phones, tablets, etc. already.  Nintendo isn't trying to convince them to do that, they're just trying to exploit what they're already doing.  Walking around the local mall I can see see groups of teens standing together not saying a word to each other but texting or otherwise playing with their phones.

If I want to sit around and play games with my friends it will be online in front of a 80" TV laying on the couch, not an 8" screen on the park bench.

I don't think most people have 80" TVs so you're right, if you do you probably aren't their target audience anyway.  Just because you aren't their target audience though doesn't mean their target audience doesn't exist.

For them selling this to parents, it's just going to look like an over expensive 3DS or Vita.

Just like the 3DS was just an over expensive DS or the Vita was an over expensive PSP.  I'm sure it will have significantly higher specs than either of those and of course the new hardware costs more than the old.

And I just can't imagine anyone buying this as portable gaming system at $400+ or what ever the cost will be.

Here I TOTALLY agree with you.  I don't know where you got that number from but if this this is $400+ it's DOA.  I'd be willing to bet it will be < $300 not $400+.

Would of loved to have just been given a Nintendo with PS4pro specs.

Since when has Nintendo competed on hardware performance specs?  Why would you think they'd start now?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 4:10 AM, Asmodai said:

Current 3DS owners, current Wii U owners, and anyone else they can convince to come along.

So is it a replacement of the 3DS or not? Have Nintendo cleared that up yet? Because buying a Switch when owning a 3DS and already having a library of 3DS games seems quite redundant. 

I don't know what it's like where you live but walking "being social and active" isn't going on a lot where I live.  Teens and kids all have their faces burried in smart phones, tablets, etc. already.  Nintendo isn't trying to convince them to do that, they're just trying to exploit what they're already doing.  Walking around the local mall I can see see groups of teens standing together not saying a word to each other but texting or otherwise playing with their phones.

Call it different worlds, In Australia if your outside your physically playing games or exploring weather its at the beach or the field. Sporting being nearly mandatory as after school tradition for all kids year round due to weather being great. If your inside that's when your playing games on the home console/tablet, I just don't picture all the local kids I see out playing football or building another jump at the BMX track taking this down to play.

I don't think most people have 80" TVs so you're right, if you do you probably aren't their target audience anyway.  Just because you aren't their target audience though doesn't mean their target audience doesn't exist.

But the majority of people do have a 60" TV or larger, regardless of size while your at home with this console you would rather be playing it on the superior setup than the screen smaller than an ipad. The power of the console also worries me when its the size of a tablet unless it has something like surface specs which we know won't happen.

Just like the 3DS was just an over expensive DS or the Vita was an over expensive PSP.  I'm sure it will have significantly higher specs than either of those and of course the new hardware costs more than the old.

The difference is the 3DS and PSP had incredibly small price increases and where known as the next generation of what they where replacing, I'm still not sure if Nintendo plan or removing their handhelds off the market with this eventually or not.

Here I TOTALLY agree with you.  I don't know where you got that number from but if this this is $400+ it's DOA.  I'd be willing to bet it will be < $300 not $400+.

The Wii U has been over $400 since launch in Australia and has never experienced a price drop. The PS4 and Xbox have been cheaper for years. A PS4 slim right now is $340 while a WiiU is $420 (with a game)

Since when has Nintendo competed on hardware performance specs?  Why would you think they'd start now?

They've competed every generation bar that off the Wii. The SNES had a lot better sound and displayed a range more colours than that of the megadrive making for a more appealing picture when all games where 2D. The 64 3D games where ahead of the PSX by quite a margin in some cases. And the gamecube also had quite a range of games looking better than that of the PS2. Yes I'm aware in sume instances the consoles released after those they where up against..

The wii outsold everything even being under powered, the motion gimmick paid off well for them for that generation I'll give them that. This gimmick I don't see fairing we'll at all and investors and share price seem to be agreeing I know we can't use that as a measuring stick but still.

Release a semi powerful home console and have an open world and online Pokemon game like skyrim and watch them move more than they can produce. I do wish them all the best but I really feel this console won't be a success. 

On 10/20/2016 at 9:54 AM, anthdci said:

If it doesn't support 4k then it is behind the times before even being released.

Hey now, I still think The new super mario bros on the wii looks good on my 70 inch :D

11 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

So is it a replacement of the 3DS or not? Have Nintendo cleared that up yet? Because buying a Switch when owning a 3DS and already having a library of 3DS games seems quite redundant.

Maybe I just missed something but I wasn't under the impression that there was any confusion to clear up.  It's the replacement for BOTH the 3DS and the Wii U.  Though just like Sony still sells the PS3 despite it's replacement being out I suspect both will continue to sell for some time after launch.

Call it different worlds, In Australia if your outside your physically playing games or exploring weather its at the beach or the field. Sporting being nearly mandatory as after school tradition for all kids year round due to weather being great. If your inside that's when your playing games on the home console/tablet, I just don't picture all the local kids I see out playing football or building another jump at the BMX track taking this down to play.

Well then it may well sell poorly in Australia.  That's not how things are in the U.S. though (I wish they were) so I have no doubt it there is a large market of teens and such who would be more than happy to stand around staring out their screens.  Fortunately for Nintendo the U.S. market that they'll likely do well in is significantly larger than the Australian market that they'll apparently do poorly in.

But the majority of people do have a 60" TV or larger, regardless of size while your at home with this console you would rather be playing it on the superior setup than the screen smaller than an ipad. The power of the console also worries me when its the size of a tablet unless it has something like surface specs which we know won't happen.

I don't think that's true.  I don't think most people have 60" or larger TVs... I for example am pretty tech savvy (I'm a software developer by trade and as you can see I'm active in tech sites and such) and my living room TV is 40" and I'm about to replace it with a 55" 4K TV.  Now the 40" main TV I'd say IS likely below average but I'd say in the U.S. the most common size is more in the 50-55" range than 60".  And while there are a fair number that big I'd bet that there are more < 50" TVs out there than there are > 55".

Of course you'd rather play on the larger screen, that's why it docks.  But again Australia is unlike the U.S. and I'm sure other major global markets in that people don't stare at screens when they're out and about.  So having the tablet screen will be great for people on the go and they'll just plug it into the dock and play on whatever size TV they DO have when they are home.

As for specs all it REALLY has to do is be better than what it replaces, which means the Wii U (since that higher performance than the 3DS).  It would also HELP get 3rd party multi-platform games ported to it if it comes in with similar performance to the launch Xbox One (the current lowest common denominator for home consoles).  If it can do that and come in under $300 (in the U.S.) then I think it will sell very well.

The difference is the 3DS and PSP had incredibly small price increases and where known as the next generation of what they where replacing, I'm still not sure if Nintendo plan or removing their handhelds off the market with this eventually or not.

The MSRP for the Nintendo 3DS XL is currently $199 according to their site.  If this comes in at between $250 and $300 that's not a HUGE jump and it IS a HUGE jump in performance if it's even just slightly more powerful than the non-mobile Wii U.  Also since it also serves as the Wii U replacing home console not just a standard next iteration of the 3DS line it makes sense it costs a bit more.

The Wii U has been over $400 since launch in Australia and has never experienced a price drop. The PS4 and Xbox have been cheaper for years. A PS4 slim right now is $340 while a WiiU is $420 (with a game)

That's an Australian anomaly.  Again perhaps it will do horribly in Australia, I'll cede to your knowledge there.  But again that's a tiny market compared to the U.S. where it's not as outrageously priced and people unfortunately aren't as active.

They've competed every generation bar that off the Wii.

The Wii U isn't competitive either from a hardware spec standpoint.  They haven't competed on Specs since maybe the Gamecube which was 15 years ago.  The Wii was largely just a rehash of the Gamecube processor with the added console gimmick of motion gaming.  In fact I'd bet Microsoft's Project Scorpio will be a large percentage jump and performance over the launch Xbox One than the Wii was over the GameCube despite Project Scorpio still being considered the same generation.  The Wii U likewise is way behind the competition so much so that third parties didn't want to bother trying to dumb down their multi-platform games to run on it.  The 3DS is also significantly weaker than the PS Vita from a spec standpoint.  Nintendo doesn't compete on specs anymore, they compete on other things (arguably the best platform exclusives, cheaper price (in the U.S. anyway), catchy gimmick's etc.)  I don't see any indication that Nintendo will try to compete on specs again with MS or Sony.  They're crushing Sony on mobile already with the low spec device and they aren't going to spend the money to compete with Sony and MS for home console market... that's why the hybrid is so appealing.

• 1 month later...