Business China Trip and VPN access

Hey guys, 

I am traveling to China on business next week. This will be our startups first trip over there and trying to get some opinions on VPN software that we can use to be able to access our google services while over there. We don't have an office server setup to be able to VPN in to . 

Any suggestions?

19 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

Awesome thanks guys and all these won't have any issues when I get over to China?

You might want to do a little research for if the VPN you choose is actually also blocked in China at ISP level, and which ones aren't. Maybe try to reach out to the VPN company that you're considering and ask? Btetter safe than sorry :)

• Like 1

As John mentions you can roll your own.  How much bandwidth you think you will use?  How many concurrent users?

A simple 15$ a year vps, and 2 minutes to install openvpn-as package and your up and running for 2 concurrent.  If you need more you could go with community version of openvpn just a bit longer to setup is all.  Advantage to this for sure is cost of 1 year of your vps prob be 1 month of vpn services.

While its likely that china could be blocking many of the major players vpn services..  The odds of them blocking traffic to some small vps service providers netblock is less likely.

A friend who went a few years back said its VERY intermittent, They would block things at random probably just bulk block IP ranges. Not sure what its like now though... I presume it hasn't changed much. 

So far from what I have read ExpressVPN is the best working one.  Has anyone else gone over there for business, any precautions I need to take with important documents on my work laptop? 

2 hours ago, John Teacake said:

They would block things at random probably just bulk block IP ranges.

Or maybe they just had spotting connectivity ;)

My past job we had customer that had site in china, and other than latency issues we had them connecting with the websense proxy in the cloud without any issues over standard proxy port 8080..  That was back a few years.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 3:07 PM, wv@gt said:

So far from what I have read ExpressVPN is the best working one.  Has anyone else gone over there for business, any precautions I need to take with important documents on my work laptop? 

my users have zero issues using Checkpoint VPN to my site from China. Weve also had success with Vypr.

I would however recommend encrypting your laptop disk, especially if your travelling with work data on said device.