Cable Modem Help!

Okay here is my problem...

I am using a P.O.S Lan card for my Cable connection "And I am running XP Pro" When I ry to remove that card and install another ofcourse it makes a new Network Connection. Now the problem is that I cant make that new connection my Internet Connection. I have ried the wizard in the start-programs-communications crap. I still get nothing.... HELP??? PLEASE????

This is driving me nuts. I have never had this problem before.

In device mangler click view then show hidden devices. The old network card may show up so you can delete it. That may get rid of LAN connection 1 and let you rename LAN connection 2.

Still having problems...

I even deleted my partition and reinstalled windows... I still can only use this F****** Lan Card... I cannot download anything.... any Ideas? Comcast.net Linksys line100tx version 2 lan card and a Motorola sb4100 cable modem with windows xp

Never had to rely on a cable modem myself (DSL here), but I think i remember reading somewhere that some cable internet services tie your connectivity to the MAC address of your network card, which would explain why swapping cards won't fly for your broadband connectivity. You may want to try calling your cable service to verify that this.

Hope this helps,

John

I just got off of the phone with comcast.net customer support. they told me that there is some problem with my configuration on the dhcp server and i wont be back to normal for another day or so.... b33r...... damnit...... p0w@... or somethin ey?

Comcast's excuse sounds pretty lame. I bet the guy didn't know how to help you so he gave you that line about DHCP so you would go away. Does your cable modem have nay useful led lights on it? Mine has four lights. They are Power, Connecting, Data Transfer, and Multi Function. If the Connecting light is flashing then the service is down. If it is lit up solid then the connection is working. The Data Transfer light flashes when I power up my router. The Multi Function light never comes on.

Have you tried cycling the power on your cable modem?

All of my lights are on, the women did sound like she somewhat knew what she was doing... and i put networks together as a second job...... maybe she was lying and maybe not.. i donno i guess i will know in a day or so.. damned comcast.........grrrr :right: :dead: