• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Bad news for Microsoft as Windows 10's market share flatlines

Yogurth    2,213

"NetMarketShare shows that in October, Windows 10 went from 22.53 percent usage share to 22.59 percent, a minuscule rise of 0.06 percentage points. Or, to put it another way, the OS is still down 0.4 percent from where it was in September. Microsoft won’t be too thrilled to see Windows 10 growth stagnating in this way, and it’s hard to imagine the recently announced Creators Update doing much to excite potential upgraders with its big focus on 3D."

Source

I wonder if businesses will actually start upgrading to Windows 10, it has been almost 1 1/2 since 10 was released.

xendrome    5,360

Microsoft won’t be too thrilled to see Windows 10 growth stagnating in this way,

Seems expected as the free upgrade is over.

• Like 1

Yogurth    2,213
7 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Since witnessing first hand reactions over the last year and more, I am not surprised, but I don't think that Microsoft were expecting this, not even in the worst case scenario. In the end what they are reaping is what they sown.

FloatingFatMan    18,202
9 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Source

I wonder if businesses will actually start upgrading to Windows 10, it has been almost 1 1/2 since 10 was released.

If you knew anything about how corporate IT works, you would know that the vast majority of corps do not upgrade to a new OS version until it's been around for 2-3 years, minimum.  Upgrading an OS corp wide is not a cheap or simple thing to do.

• Like 1

Nick H.    9,703
11 hours ago, Yogurth said:

<Title edited to reflect source in accordance with posting guidelines>

Yogurth    2,213
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

If you knew anything about how corporate IT works, you would know that the vast majority of corps do not upgrade to a new OS version until it's been around for 2-3 years, minimum.  Upgrading an OS corp wide is not a cheap or simple thing to do.

Yes I am aware, but this was a specific situation concerning the upgrade, first time for MS to offer it for free within first 12 months.

FloatingFatMan    18,202
4 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Yes I am aware, but this was a specific situation concerning the upgrade, first time for MS to offer it for free within first 12 months.

First for free yes, but 8 was launched at a drastically discounted price for a considerable time, too. However, the cost isn't the main part. Corps just don't jump straight on top of a new OS as a general rule... They let the kinks get worked out first over the first couple of years.  Remember, they have to do a LOT of testing to prep for an upgrade.

• Like 1

macoman    1,640
3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

First for free yes, but 8 was launched at a drastically discounted price for a considerable time, too. However, the cost isn't the main part. Corps just don't jump straight on top of a new OS as a general rule... They let the kinks get worked out first over the first couple of years.  Remember, they have to do a LOT of testing to prep for an upgrade.

This! My organization has been testing Windows 10 for over a year and are planning to upgrade next year. 

+warwagon    12,944
15 hours ago, xendrome said:

Exactly, we were expecting this to happen, which is why I was wondering why stop the free upgrade (Automatic Free upgrade)

adrynalyne    11,643
Just now, warwagon said:

Exactly, we were expecting this to happen, which is why I was wondering why stop the free upgrade (Automatic Free upgrade)

Had there not been such a community backlash over it, I wouldn't be surprised if they would have continued to offer it.