How can I get into Safe mode on Windows 10?

Working on a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop. Due to the display driver Windows found, the computer now boots to a black screen. Now in all of Microsofts wisdom they removed the ability to press F8 and access the Safe mode menu.

1) I can't access windows and just get a black screen, so all the methods of accessing safe mode from inside Windows are a no go.

2) I booted off a USB Windows installer but I don't get the option to reboot to the advanced startup menu

3) I booted off a USB rescue USB which I made from windows but I don't get the option to reboot to the advanced startup menu

4) No restore points because it's a clean install.

The only method I can think of is holding the power button down 3 times while the computer is starting up and risk possibly of corrupting the ###### out the drive and causing some bad sectors in the process, is this my only option?

2 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

Have you tried that from the installer? You can get into that right? Should still work

2) I booted off a USB Windows installer but I don't get the option to reboot to the advanced startup menu

How much of this thread did you actually read LOL

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

Darn, well that sucks

Everything I can find seems to point to you being hosed 

Yep. Pretty much. It's one of those "What the ###### was Microsoft Thinking" sort of things"

• Like 2

I usually start booting, then hold the power button done.  Have never had a problem with it corrupting anything.  I definitely agree with, "WTF was Microsoft thinking"....

I had this problem, only difference is my laptop would flash the following screen for about 2 seconds...

7ANBh2R.png

After this screen it would go black and I had to reboot.

I fixed this by booting to Macrium Reflect via USB, chose Restore>Fix Boot Problems. It took about 10 seconds then asks for you to reboot. Problem solved.

Hopefully this solution works for you too.

Regards

Hello,

If you go into the BIOS/UEFI firmware and disable Secure Boot and DEP, does the notebook computer then boot up?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Ended up just putting Windows 7 back on the laptop. He really liked Windows 7 anyway.  Killing the power (3 times and potentially more if you have to go back into safe mode a few times) to the computer as its actively reading and writing to the drive just seems like a ludicrous idea.

Issues that use to be solved remotely because I would have them connect me into their PC from safe mode  with networking can now no longer be done, because I am unable to walk the users through the process. I use to be able to tell them to just mash F8. Now those machines have to be brought in. Thank you, Microsoft.

I would be open to Microsoft using the shift key, turn the computer on while holding down shift.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Ended up just putting Windows 7 back on the laptop. He really liked Windows 7 anyway.  Killing the power (3 times and potentially more if you have to go back into safe mode a few times) to the computer as its actively reading and writing to the drive just seems like a ludicrous idea.

Its not like you were doing anything different when getting out of the scenario of a black screen.

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Its not like you were doing anything different when getting out of the scenario of a black screen.

Correct, but If it was Windows 7 or earlier I would just have to power it off once, then mash F8 and select Safe mode with networking.  The difference here is, to kick it into recovery where a safe mode is an option I would have to do it 3 times. In the case of a black screen I only have to do it once and then select safe mode. Then if I would have to go into safe mode again, I would have to kill the boot 3 more times. HORRIBLE!

Actually, in the case of this black screen, I didn't have to hold the button in. I t was still alive in the back. I just pressed Alt+F4 pressed the down arrow once and pressed enter. Then the computer restarted. I was hopeful so as I pressed enter, I held the shift key down, but never got the menu to show up.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

Correct, I wasn't because I couldn't get the machine easily into safe mode. If it was Windows 7 or earlier I would just mash F8 and select Safe mode with networking.  The difference here is, to kick it into recovery where safe mode is an option I would have to do it 3 times. In the case of a black screen I only have to do it once and then select safe mode. Then if I would have to go into safe mode again, I would have to kill the boot 3 more times. HORRIBLE!

I can't remember the last time I actually saw data corruption from that, however. In the win9x days, sure.

I thought you just needed to boot from a recovery USB stick, or installation USB go to Troubleshoot, Start up settings and then choose safe mode.

It seems that you have tried that, though.

The most frustrating thing about them removing the F8 key option are the stupid people of the internet. When people only would post in forums (including this one) asking how to enter safe mode, most of the idiots would always tell you "You can just restart the computer into safe mode from inside Windows". They either forgot, didn't know or are just that stupid to fully comprehend one of the key reason for safe mode is to boot the computer when you are unable to boot normally. That still brings my ###### to a boil.

Hello,

You could always configure Windows 10 with something like

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
bcdedit /timeout 10

to get the boot loader to pause.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 10 months later...

Same issue again today on another computer. This time the computer boots up but BSOD's shortly after startup not allowing me much time to do much, including but not limited to holding down the shift key and clicking restart. It BSOD's as it attempts to restart. Booting off a Windows USB Setup drive didn't give me an safemode option under troubleshooting. I tried enabling the F8 boot menu but now that's not working either. Who knows though if that was even saved seeing how the system BSOD'ed after the command was entered and before it could shut down normally.

Right now i'm memtesting the ram but I don't think it's the cause of the BSOD.... I suspect crappy Trusteer Rapport is the culprit. So if the memtest shows up clean the only option I'm left with is booting into a PE version of windows and renaming the rapport drivers from the driver's folder and see if I can stop it from BSOD'ing long enough to uninstall the software.

Long story short due to Microsoft moronic decision to remove F8 I can't get this machine into safe mode.

Once again, what was ###### was Microsoft thinking.

• Like 2

They don't want people to be able to work on their own property. Their own computers.

MS has just had a huge brain fart on this. Terrible design choice on their part. Horrible choice. Just horrible. Bad form MS.... jusy bad form.

58 minutes ago, margrave said:

They don't want people to be able to work on their own property. Their own computers.

MS has just had a huge brain fart on this. Terrible design choice on their part. Horrible choice. Just horrible. Bad form MS.... jusy bad form.

Plus I was able to bring up the safe mode finally, but throwing it into recovery mode by holding down the power button and killing power as it's booting (sounds healthy for it) , But then I always have to sit through a scan of "Repair disk errors, this might take over an hour" although it usually only takes 10 mins." It's probably running a chkdsk on the drive because I killed power to it.

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Make a Windows 10 bootable USB and boot up with it and you can use the recovery tools. Easy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Already tried that. That was the first thing I tried. Every option was there in troubleshoot except the reboot with safe mode options.