• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Australian gov won't spend the money, and yet

Draggendrop    5,747

I help to fix this up a bit...

NBN revenues up after connections Double

Government-owned broadband company NBN Co has increased quarterly revenues to $181 million and is meeting its roll-out and revenue targets, management revealed on Tuesday. 

However, the man in charge of the roll-out, Bill Morrow, warned there may be further changes to fibre technology in coming years as NBN tries to meet the "very aggressive schedule of getting universal [broadband] access to everybody by 2020". 

"Everything that we can see from this point on, with nearly one third of the nation being ready, is positive and we don't see any problems at this point.

"Having said that ... you are going to see changes to technology, you are going to see changes even to the roll-out plan that we have. Nothing that will jeopardise the end state, but flexibility and agility are key here."

more at the link...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/nbn-revenues-up-after-connections-double-20161108-gskff5.html

//

Broadband for everyone, nice....:)

• Like 1

starman3344    55

Yeah, but Australias internet is still third world, of which it shouldn't be

Draggendrop    5,747

In Canada, a lot of rural areas are not served well, and our prices are real high for access. There have been some plans of major coverage but nothing like the plan your country is aiming for.

Hope it works out for all and at an affordable price.  :)

starman3344    55

Yep, I agree. I'm on the pension and can afford internet, not many can in other countries, even though its faster, that's the best thing about being In Australia, anyone can afford it here, you have basic plans for 40/month with 100 gigs, so an unemployed person could afford it here.

Most are still stuck with old technology like adsl2 but it works I guess

• Like 1

Draggendrop    5,747

We get hit by high cost for broadband, cable TV, Sat TV and cellular. Regional governments have been trying to crack down on the package contents and pricing, but we still have to pay a lot. 

In some provinces, hydro costs have been constantly rising as well....and we have high fuel costs as well.

Some days you have to shake your head.....:)

wakjak    17,187
8 minutes ago, starman3344 said:

Yep, I agree. I'm on the pension and can afford internet, not many can in other countries, even though its faster, that's the best thing about being In Australia, anyone can afford it here, you have basic plans for 40/month with 100 gigs, so an unemployed person could afford it here.

Most are still stuck with old technology like adsl2 but it works I guess

Our "high speed" here is 7Mbps @ $70 a month ADSL2 I believe, maybe just ADSL.. We do get unlimited data though. And my hometown only got "high speed" 1Mbps in 2004/2005

• Like 1

Raa    1,548

C'monnnnnnnn NBN. I know i'll be asking then to quote me fibre direct to the house.

starman3344    55

Nope not fibre direct to the house here now, fttn now, sucks fibre to the node for most. I have fibre direct (fttp)

Danielx64    601

While not cheap 4GX is smoking fast: someone downloaded 1TB in a day.

• Like 1

starman3344    55
5 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

While not cheap 4GX is smoking fast: someone downloaded 1TB in a day.

I be there bill must have been big lol

Danielx64    601

They paid nothing: it happened when we had our free data day. I pulled down 46GB that day on 4G (there is a different between 4G and 4GX).

starman3344    55
8 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

They paid nothing: it happened when we had our free data day. I pulled down 46GB that day on 4G (there is a different between 4G and 4GX).

Lol ok