Motherboard Woes, New One?

I have this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128907

I recently got a CPU and RAM for it. Those are irrelevant though...

I recently had to send this board back to Newegg for a replacement, as the board was defective. I now have gotten this new board back.

I was having trouble with it. I originally thought it was a bad RAM stick. But, no... It's one RAM slot that was bad. I tried both sticks, by themselves, on both RAM slots. The one closest to CPU always beeped at me... So, the board is broken, once again... I want to use my 2x8GB DDR4 RAM.

Should I look at a different board now, or try sending this back to Newegg for another replacement? If a new board would be a good idea, what would you get? Get the B150 chipset again? Different? ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, EVGA, maybe? (I despise MSI...) I want a ITX board. WiFi/BT isn't a great need. Budget is around $100. More, if needed.

@Unobscured Vision, please read...

As you've paged OV I'm guessing you specifically want his advice

For what it's worth, I'd RMA the board and go for a rival brand

I personally prefer ASUS boards, but it's your money and your choice.

• Like 1

Are you looking for anything specific? Good linux compatibility? Overclocking?

All brands will have DOA boards, or boards with problems. It happens. Gigabyte is generally good, but so is Asus, eVGA, MSI, etc.

I personally would not bother with a board if I have had two DOA on me, but that might just be me. 

here is a board from MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130903 just around your budget

And this board, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4R24302 but it is a little above your $100 dollar mark.

In the end, it comes down to what you want to do with the system.

I guess we will need to wait for OV to come in as you are specifically looking for his input, isn't that what PM's are for?

I only tagged OV because I think he'd be able to help.

@Circaflex- why did you reccomend me a MSI when i just said I hate them? But I can go above $100, if theres a very good reason for it.

I had several ASUS boards over the years, it's just with the 1155 family, ASUS is a little lacking. But I see now with 1151, they've been picking up again.

Because it is one of the better boards that fits in your budget, like I mentioned all OEMs have their issues. Strange that you would despise them but think about getting the same gigabyte board again? Third times a charm?

And again, I will ask, what is the point of this computer? Do you intend to game? Do you want to overclock? Good linux compatibility? Without answering any of those questions, we may as well link you to the newegg page with mini-itx 1151 boards and you just pick one at random.

"Most" newer boards are compatible with Linux. I'm not too worried about that.

I do not plan to game that hard. My 750Ti can take care of most games.

I don't find overclocking really a need, but if I want to, I will. That's where the north bridge comes in. Some you can OC, others you cannot.

Ok, I'm here.

A bad RAM slot is one of those "unforgivable" things with me on a new board. And I'm leery of Gigabyte's boards to begin with. Certainly stick to your budget, but not with that Manufacturer.

Recommend going with ASUS or ASRock. They seem to be where the action is right now, Gigabyte too but quality has been bad for a while (as you're seeing).

• Like 2

My dad's system has a Gigabyte, too... Not that found of it... Just needed something cheap ;)

ASRock used to be POS, but lately, in the last year or so, they have been excellent.

Always liked ASUS...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Some people are telling me to get a new board, some are saying to RMA it...

Up to you really ... third time's a charm ... is something that is said.  I've had Gigabyte's, ASUS', ASrocks, MSI's, etc. and haven't had issues with any of them.  

Anyway ... not sure what NewEgg's policy is ... but RMA it for another board or RMA it for an ASUS or ASrock.

Here is one ASUS that is similar ... though about 10 bucks more expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132720

Did your first board have the same issue as the second (the memory slot)?  If so ... that is really unusual ... could be builder error. :p 

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

I have always hated Gigabyte mobos.  I think they use marketing to pump up nonsense features in lieu of quality.

My 2 cents

This is what I was alluding to earlier. Every single company has their QC issues. You'll find people who like brand a and people who say brand a has always been bad. Me personally, I always loved Gigabyte boards and they were very popular in the early to mid 2000's, especially with overclockers and the lan party series was stellar. However, they also had a bad rep then too and many referred to them as Gigabutt. I have experience with almost every single motherboard maker out there and only one that I never had a single issue with. That was eVGA before many of the motherboard team left to join sapphire and now their boards are just OK in my opinion. There is not a single brand that is light years better than the other is what I am trying to get at.

OK, going to send back the board to gigabyte. Hopefully "they" can get a full working board for me.

• Like 1

I can tell you this, I did a bunch of research on a Socket 1151 board recently, and the quality and reliability/stability of ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte all seem to be in the toilet if you check the Newegg/Amazon reviews. Yet almost all of the ASRock boards had very high marks, so I went with one, haven't had 1 problem since changing out in the last 2 weeks. Best experience ever with a motherboard in 25 years of doing this stuff, honestly.

• Like 2

Yeah, ASRock have stepped up their quality considerably in the past few years. :yes: ASUS would be the next one in line for distinction, for me.

10 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Some people are telling me to get a new board, some are saying to RMA it...

Well I said RMA as I didn't want to put you on the spot, (the option to try again is still there)

Personally, (And this is what I would do, so not speaking for you) I would send it back stating the fact that this was the second dead board, so now I want my money back

I refrained from recommending a model of ASUS as I didn't know what your specific needs were

My needs.. were to build a reasonably high powered workstation, with some gaming thrown in, so I went with the Crossfire range (Specifically ROG Crossfire V Formula Z with 32GB RAM)

My Reason.. if it can do some high end gaming, it can do some autocad, (which as it turned out, I didn't need afterall, as photoshop sufficed) and it happened to fit within the budget I had set myself (complete new build using none of the parts from my old rig)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I just got my board back from Gigabyte RMA. Put my 2 RAM sticks in, good. Tested monitor, excellent. Loaded up Manjaro live-usb, golden. :)

Now, to see if Debian will work on this again.... (My last board failed on it)

• Like 1

I've always despised Gigabyte I feel they falsely advertised at least one of their "features" with the dual backup bios, after having 3 of them go bad and the secondary bios not able to reflash the primary or even take over and work as the primary then why advertise dual bios?

But that was all years ago maybe they are better today.

4 minutes ago, Order_66 said:

I've always despised Gigabyte I feel they falsely advertised at least one of their "features" with the dual backup bios, after having 3 of them go bad and the secondary bios not able to reflash the primary or even take over and work as the primary then why advertise dual bios?

But that was all years ago maybe they are better today.

There much better now, on my GA-X99M-Gaming 5, there's DIP switches on the board to switch between bios 1 & 2, so it's pretty fool proof. I've pretty much always had Gigabyte boards and I've never had a problem, each to there own I suppose.

OK.... I can't get any video out of my motherboard now....

I tried onboard HDMI and DVI. I tried my old ATI5770 on it, HDMI and DVI, no-go. I tried it on my TV, LCD, and one of my Dad's LCD's.

I get no beeps. Had constant beep earlier, but I saw that my one RAM stick wasn't in all the way...

Are CPU corners supposed to be bent?  2 corners are, pointing towards my PCI-E slot. My Dad noticed that. And I never touched it since I first put it in. Unless my CPU is the culprit this time round?