Question

Ryan Daum

I was hoping I could reach out to all of the pros out in the neowin.net community for some advice. I am trying to find a good training option and I am not really finding quite what I need.

My work is starting to get into continuous integration / automated deployments. I am somewhat familiar with TFS Build system already and have some build / release definitions created for several projects. I am most interested in the training covering migrating branching strategies and the more complex things you can do with creating custom build processes with the new vNext system. Does anyone know of a good online course that is offered that goes into this sort of thing? It could be an onsite deal if necessary instead of online.

The only online resources I can find cover more of the TFS administration, with only covering the TFS Build as a side item. This makes sense from the prospective of most PMs maybe, but it isn't what I am going for. I'm not sure if this is because since Microsoft gives such a good range of options for really making your build process do whatever you want that it is hard to cover a lot of presentation material on the subject or not, but it seems like there should be a paid option out there somewhere.

My company is willing to spend money to make this happen, so that is not a concern at this time, it is just a matter of finding the right resource. Worst case I could always try to find books on Amazon, but that is currently my second choice.

1 answer to this question

DevTech

VS 2017 has new build system.

Team Services or whatever the name change of the week is for that (online version of TFS) has tons of info on GitHub for CI etc to Azure. All the Azure docs are edited live on GitHub as well. The Microsoft footprint on GitHub is huge so well worth investigating and bookmarking the sea of material there...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      The session catalog for Microsoft Build 2020 is now live
      by Rich Woods

This year's Microsoft Build developer conference is going to be virtual, and that's going to be the case next year as well. But Microsoft is carrying on, as there will be keynotes, sessions, and workshops just like an in-person event.

Last week, the agenda was published for the virtual event, showing the main schedule of keynotes and workshops, all of which will be replayed at different times for different time zones. Now, the full session list is live.

Microsoft Build 2020 includes a list of 604 sessions, and that probably won't change. Usually, the schedule is published weeks ahead of time, and then sessions get added between then and the actual event. But at this point, we're just five days away.

Out of those 604, exactly zero show up in search results for Windows 10X. There are 51 sessions that show up in a search for Windows though, such as "Unifying and evolving the Windows platform".

Sadly, the event isn't populating in the Microsoft Events app, so if you're attending the event, you'll have to use the web interface to manage your schedule. You can check it out here.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft publishes the agenda for its Build 2020 virtual event
      by Rich Woods

Last week, Microsoft opened up registration for its Build 2020 developer conference, also announcing some details about its upcoming event. Now, the agenda has been published on the Build website.

The event will begin at 8am Pacific, followed by the "Empowering every developer" keynote from CEO Satya Nadella. At 8:40, it will be time for the Imagine Cup, followed by a session with Scott Hanselman and then a session with Scott Guthrie.

Here's the agenda for May 19:

PDT Experiences 8:00 AM Microsoft Build digital event begins

8:20 AM Empowering every developer, with Satya Nadella

8:40 AM Imagine Cup

9:00 AM Every developer is welcome, with Scott Hanselman and guests 10:15 AM Azure for every developer, with Scott Guthrie and guests 11:00 AM Building the tools for modern work, with Rajesh Jha and guests 12:30 PM Digital Breakouts with live Q&A 4:45 PM Social Hour: Mix, Mingle, and Celebrate 5:20 PM Empowering every developer, with Satya Nadella 5:40 PM Imagine Cup 6:00 PM Every developer is welcome, with Scott Hanselman and guests 7:30 PM Digital Breakouts with live Q&A
      Obviously, some of these sessions are being replayed, which is for people in different time zomes. You can see that in the day two schedule as well.

PDT Experiences 12:15 AM Azure for every developer, with Scott Guthrie and guests

1:00 AM New ways to work and learn, with Rajesh Jha and guests

2:00 AM Digital Breakouts with live Q&A

9:45 AM The future of tech, with Kevin Scott and guests 10:30 AM Ask Scott Guthrie, with Scott Guthrie

11:30 AM Power Platform for developers, with James Philips

12:30 PM Digital Breakouts with live Q&A 6:30 PM Social Hour: Mix, Mingle, and Celebrate

7:30 PM The future of tech, with Kevin Scott and guests 8:15 PM Power Platform for developers, with James Philips 9:30 PM Digital Breakouts with live Q&A
      The rest of the event will be breakout sessions, as usual. That schedule isn't listed just yet, although it should be pretty soon. After all, Build is just 11 days away. It's still not listed in the Microsoft Events app, and it's unclear if that's even where Microsoft will publish the schedule.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft is opening registration for its digital Build 2020 conference today
      by Rich Woods

Back in March, Microsoft confirmed that its Build 2020 developer conference would not go on in Seattle as it had planned. It's going to be a virtual event instead, as all Microsoft events will be until mid-2021. Today, it's opening up registrations for the virtual conference.

As expected, it's a free event. If you already paid the $2,395 for a ticket to the in-person event, you should have already been automatically refunded.

Being that Build 2020 is in a virtual format, things are going to be done a bit differently. Important keynotes will be broadcast multiple times to hit different time zones around the world. There will still be breakout sessions and such, and as you'd get from the in-person event, there will be Q&A and interactive bits.

Once you register for the virtual event, you can start using the MSFT Events app, although the session schedule isn't live just yet. Once it is, you can build your personal agenda, add sessions to your calendar, give feedback on sessions, and more.

While the keynotes my be shorter and the news might be slightly more sparse, don't forget that Build 2021 is going to be all-digital as well. Microsoft will likely look at what went well, what didn't, and what kind of feedback attendees have to offer from this year's event before planning the next one.

Update: Registration is live now.

• By zikalify
      Amazon in contact with two COVID-19 test makers for workforce
      by Paul Hill

Reuters has seen internal meeting notes which suggest that Amazon has been in contact with the bosses of two coronavirus test kit makers in order to find a way to test its workforce which is now more crucial to the functioning of society than ever. The two companies in talks with Amazon are Abbott Laboratories and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.

It’s not clear from the documents which type of tests Amazon is hoping to deploy at its warehouses but Abbott has U.S. marketing approval for a diagnostic test for use in physicians’ office and other community healthcare buildings – these tests check to see if someone currently has COVID-19. The FDA has also approved a Thermo Fisher test.

According to the leaked documents, Amazon had asked the firms if it would be able to start tests in a warehouse near Seattle, however, the U.S. government is currently taking up all of their testing capacity so it’s not clear how long Amazon would need to wait. In addition, Amazon is also investigating how it can test more than one person at a time but has not stated who it’s working with to achieve that.

Routing out COVID-19 among its workforce is important for Amazon because the demand for its services is high with more people forced to stay at home. The disease has been found in staff from at least 19 of its U.S. warehouses according to Reuters. Overall, the coronavirus has affected at least 1,139,207 people worldwide since jumping to humans and has caused almost 61,000 deaths at the time of writing.

Source: Reuters

• By medhunter
      [build help] Gaming desktop for the next 5 years
      I am going to build a desktop for gaming (mainly Linux) to 4K HDR 55 inch TV and 4k HDR watching and streaming to TV.
      Intended next upgrade: 5 years
      My setup is couch, TV, Xbox one X, RPI4 NAS and the future PC. No laptop there.
      Suggested list
      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pt6Myk
      I have currently a mediocre i3 7100 MiniPC, 8GB RAM, 128 SATA M.2 SSD. I have Kb, Mouse and accessories
      I currently reside in Saudi Arabia, and I have some parts eligible for free shipping. These are included
      Of course, there is No Case, or power supply eligible from newegg. So, i will buy locally.
      Update: Just found out this 5700XT . what do you think?
      I will go AMD route because of open source drivers