Transfer 5-minute HD video taken on iPad to PC

I have a colleague (who is in a different city to me) that has taken a 5-minute HD video on his iPad and he wants to send the full file to me for editing.

I recommended something like WeTransfer to transfer it to me - but how can he grab the video file onto his PC in order to upload it?

4 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

I have a colleague (who is in a different city to me) that has taken a 5-minute HD video on his iPad and he wants to send the full file to me.

I recommended something like WeTransfer to transfer it to me - but how can he grab the video file onto his PC in order to upload it?

Simply connect the iPad to the PC via USB, and navigate to the media folder from My Computer (This PC) > iPad > Internal Memory > DCIM > Video.

Click and drag the video to your preferred save location and upload to whichever service to send.

You may also receive a message on the iPad asking for permission to let the PC access the device, so click yes.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Simply connect the iPad to the PC via USB, and navigate to the media folder from My Computer (This PC) > iPad > Internal Memory > DCIM > Video.

Click and drag the video to your preferred save location and upload to whichever service to send.

Ah, you don't need to use iTunes these days? Nice.

Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got a flash drive for it. SanDisk iXpand. I'm trying to not use iTunes if I can help it, it and I have never gotten along. For music I use Spotify and TinyPlayer; for videos, VLC. The latter two can make a web server you can drag/drop files into to get media onto your iPhone, and then you play them in the app (not Apple's apps). And of course with Spotify you can download music, if you're premium, which I am.

But with photos, and especially video, I didn't want to mess with Google Photos, since it has to be open and the screen on for it to back up photos. So, what I did was, got the 64GB iXpand (probably only needed 32GB, LOL — my iPhone is 128GB though), and I plug it in, pull the pics/videos off of them, and then copy them to the computer, which Google Photos is monitoring, and then it will just upload from there. Also, you can play music and video off the iXpand. Features that Android fans boast is only available with the little green robot. But, that isn't entirely accurate.

The cable may make sense for more users, and it's still an option for me. I think I have three or four Lightning cables. But 64GB is a lot of space for movies, so I can pack some video to watch on my iPhone on a long car ride or whatever. Or if I'm going to use the camera a lot, I can keep my iPhone relatively free in case I need to shoot a long 1080p60 video. It's just possibilities, man. I shot a 10 minute 1080p60 video, and I think it was 1.5-2GB... again, probably woulda been fine with 32, but I'm glad for the space the 64 offers. Ditto the 128GB iPhone. I don't plan to upgrade to a 7. I'm hoping to rock the 6s for 2-4 years, really get my money's worth, so I wanted to go big on storage.

5 hours ago, dragontology said:

But 64GB is a lot of space for movies

That is a matter of opinion to be sure..  You can do 4k can you not on the 6s.. So your talking what 375MB per min..  So less than 3 hours if you had the full 64GB which you don't  I really wouldn't call that all that much ;)  Just saying..

16 hours ago, BudMan said:

That is a matter of opinion to be sure..  You can do 4k can you not on the 6s.. So your talking what 375MB per min..  So less than 3 hours if you had the full 64GB which you don't  I really wouldn't call that all that much ;)  Just saying..

I think so, but I have nothing that can actually display 4K, so I don't use it.