Oklahoma Man Arrested in Police "Chase" @ 208mph in a Mustang

THAT is one fast mustang.
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/16/oklahoma-speeder-caught-at-208-mph.html

Capture.JPG

I would love to know what this guy has done to his car to make it able to hit those speeds.  That is amazingly fast.
The work that would have to go into a car to make it handle those speeds, and potentially faster, must be extensive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

If that were me, and I was getting my mugshot - it would be a mugshot for the ages.  Ear to Ear grin with one raised eyebrow as if to suggest "yeah - thats right... 208 bitches"

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

THAT is one fast mustang.
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/16/oklahoma-speeder-caught-at-208-mph.html

Capture.JPG

I would love to know what this guy has done to his car to make it able to hit those speeds.  That is amazingly fast.
The work that would have to go into a car to make it handle those speeds, and potentially faster, must be extensive.

155 is the stock limiter, I would assume not much would have to be done to reach higher speeds in a gt.  Obviously removing the limiter, reflashing the computer.  but gt500's will hit 180 or somewhere up there.  final gear would have to be low and possibly some other mods...but I can only assume it wouldn't be too hard in a 2011, if it were a gt or gt500.  He could of been driving a gt500 but they stated mustang...so pick your random iteration of model and I could probably figure it out.  

Reflash would be a given, final drive gear may have to be changed (rear gears), not much for power needs to be done maybe you can add a power adder but that will just get you there faster, but that depends on the model..You will want somewhere around 500 so you can figure out that a 100 shot of nitrous would get cars there pretty safely.

4 hours ago, sc302 said:

155 is the stock limiter, I would assume not much would have to be done to reach higher speeds in a gt.  Obviously removing the limiter, reflashing the computer.  but gt500's will hit 180 or somewhere up there.  final gear would have to be low and possibly some other mods...but I can only assume it wouldn't be too hard in a 2011, if it were a gt or gt500.  He could of been driving a gt500 but they stated mustang...so pick your random iteration of model and I could probably figure it out.  

Reflash would be a given, final drive gear may have to be changed (rear gears), not much for power needs to be done maybe you can add a power adder but that will just get you there faster, but that depends on the model..You will want somewhere around 500 so you can figure out that a 100 shot of nitrous would get cars there pretty safely.

Getting a car to hit 200 is not easy.  Sure - if its geared for high end - that certainly helps - but most people, and most mustang owners - dont care about top speed.
I know you know a lot more about mustangs than I ever will - but - getting any car to 200+ is tough, considering the faster you go - the harder it pushes back.

48 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Getting a car to hit 200 is not easy.  Sure - if its geared for high end - that certainly helps - but most people, and most mustang owners - dont care about top speed.
I know you know a lot more about mustangs than I ever will - but - getting any car to 200+ is tough, considering the faster you go - the harder it pushes back.

True but consider a gt with no mods and the limiter removed can hit close to 160, how much more do you think it will need to hit 200? The car is at around 400 hp if it is a GT. The GT500 will hit 180's bone stock.   Do you think it is that difficult to get 100 hp out of a car already making 400 or more hp?  Everything is done in ratios, squeezing 100 hp out of a engine making 50 hp is like getting blood from a stone...getting another 100 hp out of a car making 4-500 stock is like going to the bank for a loan when you have a 700+ credit score.   200 hp is also pretty easy.  You could probably bet it is a no brainer up to about 2x the stock hp. 

Without anything else else on a gt, a stock street supercharger kit will yield about 600hp.  You could go turbo, get real aggressive with the turbo and fuel, put in a custom turbo cam and a few other goodies and hit that 800+ mark. 

A pulley change and a tune, can get an additional 100 hp, bringing the total hp to 600, out of the gt500. 

These arent jap cars that squeeze every bit of power out of the engine combo with no room to grow, these are American cars with tolerances built into them, knowing that people will beat the crap out of them...do you think it is normal for the blocks to be able to handle 2x the hp?  They know these cars are destined for the modding block some time in their life....there is so much aftermarket support for it.   They are the only model car that I know of that has a racing series just for them. Nmra, this racing body is just for mustangs.  Nira  is for all imports, nhra is for all hot rods. 

36 minutes ago, sc302 said:

True but consider a gt with no mods and the limiter removed can hit close to 160, how much more do you think it will need to hit 200? The car is at around 400 hp if it is a GT. The GT500 will hit 180's bone stock.   Do you think it is that difficult to get 100 hp out of a car already making 400 or more hp?  Everything is done in ratios, squeezing 100 hp out of a engine making 50 hp is like getting blood from a stone...getting another 100 hp out of a car making 4-500 stock is like going to the bank for a loan when you have a 700+ credit score.   200 hp is also pretty easy.  You could probably bet it is a no brainer up to about 2x the stock hp. 

Without anything else else on a gt, a stock street supercharger kit will yield about 600hp.  You could go turbo, get real aggressive with the turbo and fuel, put in a custom turbo cam and a few other goodies and hit that 800+ mark. 

A pulley change and a tune, can get an additional 100 hp, bringing the total hp to 600, out of the gt500. 

These arent jap cars that squeeze every bit of power out of the engine combo with no room to grow, these are American cars with tolerances built into them, knowing that people will beat the crap out of them...do you think it is normal for the blocks to be able to handle 2x the hp?  They know these cars are destined for the modding block some time in their life....there is so much aftermarket support for it.   They are the only model car that I know of that has a racing series just for them. Nmra, this racing body is just for mustangs.  Nira  is for all imports, nhra is for all hot rods. 

717hp 2015 Hennesey Mustang topped out at 195...so we are probably looking at 850hp+ to get to 208. Once you get into really high speeds, it takes massive horsepower for even small gains.

I think it far more likely that someone is wrong about what the real speed was.

Perhaps. It is all internet speculation at this point. But even that isn't all that hard to do being that 1000+ hp combos are documented. 

If you were to follow sloppymechanics, they have a few combos that are in the 800-900 range or There abouts.  Most of which you can pickup at the junk yard on the cheap vs paying new.  They are all about getting mass hp on the low budget. 

Like I said, you all know much more than me about what it takes to get those cars to certain speeds. 
The only thing I know are things like it takes the Bugatti Veyron 250hp to get it to 150mph.  It takes another 750hp to get it to hit 100mph more...

Once you get to a certain point, it becomes a herculean effort to get 5mph more.  Sure, it is very possible the 208 is a mistake.  A couple years ago, Grapevine, TX PD claimed they clocked some drunk @ 150 in a stock Chevy Blazer.  It was later "revealed" that the  radar clock was wrong, and that charge was dropped.

Anything over 200 takes a bit of power. 

Does it take 1000+ hp, well you can look at supercar specs to determine that.   

Lambo does 239mph at under 700 hp

911 turbo s 193 mph at 540 hp

You can can look at others in the 200+ mph range. 

There is quite a bit that can change to get it there.   Weight, final drive, hp, transmission gear ratios all play a part. 

Remember gt500 of that year has around 500 hp and hits 180s. How much more is needed to hit 200?   I don't think it is another 300+ hp. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sc302 said:

Fwiw, and because you got me curious, the 2013 gt500 at 662 hp hits 202mph. 

Source: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/11/16/the-2013-shelby-gt500s-official-top-speed-202-mph/

Thats what SVT claims.

Car and Driver could only hit 190, Motortrend only hit 196.

I'd be curious how long a straight, perfect road you would need to hit 202. I am certain that wasn't the case in the above article. I am still standing by 850hp+, or nitrous added to an already beastly car as mentioned earlier. It could have also been gutted for weight savings.

10 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thats what SVT claims.

Car and Driver could only hit 190, Motortrend only hit 196.

I'd be curious how long a straight, perfect road you would need to hit 202. I am certain that wasn't the case in the above article. I am still standing by 850hp+, or nitrous added to an already beastly car as mentioned earlier. It could have also been gutted for weight savings.

Maybe another 100 hp tops 200. Aerodynamics plays a big part at that speed. 

8 hours ago, sc302 said:

Anything over 200 takes a bit of power. 

Does it take 1000+ hp, well you can look at supercar specs to determine that.   

Lambo does 239mph at under 700 hp

911 turbo s 193 mph at 540 hp

You can can look at others in the 200+ mph range. 

There is quite a bit that can change to get it there.   Weight, final drive, hp, transmission gear ratios all play a part. 

Remember gt500 of that year has around 500 hp and hits 180s. How much more is needed to hit 200?   I don't think it is another 300+ hp. 

but did the GT500 hit 180 because that was the max or did it hit 180 because it was limited to 180?

10 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Maybe another 100 hp tops 200. Aerodynamics plays a big part at that speed. 

Maybe.

A Veyron has a top speed of 258 (rounded). It takes another 297hp in the Chiron to get to 261 (rounded). That is a whole 3MPH faster.