Oklahoma Man Arrested in Police "Chase" @ 208mph in a Mustang

10 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Where did I ask you to change? I only said I can't prove that I've seen or done the things I said.

I only said you don't need 600 horses to reach 160mph

Sorry. I don't go off word of mouth. I am very much a person that requires evidence. You don't need 600 horses to get to 160 if you have enough weight reduction (which in the US you would NEVER find in a police car) and ideal track conditions with enough length. Yeah I can buy that. In real world conditions? Nope.

Actually you don't need 600 horses at all. Not sure why you are stuck on that number. The cars you are discussing are way less than that. My car can hit 160 with 435. 

Edited by adrynalyne

Honestly top speed comes down to gearing. Horsepower does play into it. Consider a 1995 mustang gt with a whopping 215bhp (185whp) could hit around 145mph bone stock it would be cranking for a long time to hit it but eventually it would. Gearing could also help it accelerate faster but you lose top end. 135 is plenty fast enough for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Honestly top speed comes down to gearing. Horsepower does play into it. Consider a 1995 mustang gt with a whopping 215bhp (185whp) could hit around 145mph bone stock it would be cranking for a long time to hit it but eventually it would. Gearing could also help it accelerate faster but you lose top end. 135 is plenty fast enough for me. 

Yup I buy that. It also has a similar curb weight to the Mondeo with less HP and which I'm am being told can hit faster speeds than that. HP has diminishing returns as you go faster. 

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, adrynalyne said:

Thats what SVT claims.

Car and Driver could only hit 190, Motortrend only hit 196.

I'd be curious how long a straight, perfect road you would need to hit 202. I am certain that wasn't the case in the above article. I am still standing by 850hp+, or nitrous added to an already beastly car as mentioned earlier. It could have also been gutted for weight savings.

Sorry. I don't go off word of mouth. I am very much a person that requires evidence. You don't need 600 horses to get to 160 if you have enough weight reduction (which in the US you would NEVER find in a police car) and ideal track conditions with enough length. Yeah I can buy that. In real world conditions? Nope.

Actually you don't need 600 horses at all. Not sure why you are stuck on that number. The cars you are discussing are way less than that. My car can hit 160 with 435. 

In another thread there was a debate about needing 600 horses...

My point initially was you don't even need near that, as @sc302 pointed out I should have mentioned gearing, and that's on me.

I can live with you not going on word of mouth, but in that same breath I would ask why you believe something written in a magazine?

As I'm sure I could find magazine articles to help defend me.

Now I can go on what you've read in Car and Driver AND Motortrend, could you go with what's been written in Top Gear Magazine or Max Power magazine?

3 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

In another thread there was a debate about needing 600 horses...

My point initially was you don't even need near that, as @sc302 pointed out I should have mentioned gearing, and that's on me.

I can live with you not going on word of mouth, but in that same breath I would ask why you believe something written in a magazine?

As I'm sure I could find magazine articles to help defend me.

Now I can go on what you've read in Car and Driver AND Motortrend, could you go with what's been written in Top Gear Magazine or Max Power magazine?

It was *never* said you need 600 horses in any thread  to go 160 as far as I know. Magazines are using controlled conditions by the way. Are you a professional driver? More often than not, they have one. 

21 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It was *never* said you need 600 horses in any thread  to go 160 as far as I know. Magazines are using controlled conditions by the way. Are you a professional driver? More often than not, they have one. 

But do have some weight on what is possible to achieve, like you said, open roads have too many variables, but controlled test conditions...

I'm talking about it being doable.

And Yes I am actually, thanks for asking, I worked as a Class 1 Truck Driver, and still hold the relevant certificates to do so.

Had you asked if I was a racing driver, I'd have said no.

Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

But do have some weight on what is possible to achieve, like you said, open roads have too many variables, but controlled test conditions...

I'm talking about it being doable.

And this is a thread about crazy speeds on an open road. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

And this is a thread about crazy speeds on an open road. 

In which I mentioned the speed I achieved on my car, and any Omega V6 owner will tell you, it will see and top 150 (which is where I bailed) and above

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

In which I mentioned the speed I achieved on my car, and any Omega V6 owner will tell you, it will see and top 150 (which is where I bailed) and above

I believe that's what your speedo showed. 

3 minutes ago, BottleTop said:

People saying he needs long stretches of road...IT WAS IN OKLAHOMA...but horsepower aside, what tires was he running that would be street-able and sustain 200 MPH?

You are familiar with the area travelled in this story and can vouch it's miles of straight, flat, and perfect road?

Tires shouldn't be an issue. Most uhp tires are rated high enough for those speeds. 

5 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Seeing as it was an Ex Police car, I'm pretty sure it was correctly calibrated.

And modified. I wasn't the only one that pointed that out. 

8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

And modified. I wasn't the only one that pointed that out. 

EX POLICE CAR!

of course it's not stock!

Half the time they don't bother restoring or re limiting them, as they've been ragged to hell and back, some can take it, some can't, it's a bit of a crap shoot, I'll give you that, but they're a bargain vs the same car bought from a private seller.

I see, my reply to him was snipped <moderated>

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

EX POLICE CAR!

of course it's not stock!

Half the time they don't bother restoring or re limiting them, as they've been ragged to hell and back, some can take it, some can't, it's a bit of a crap shoot, I'll give you that, but they're a bargain vs the same car bought from a private seller.

I see, my reply to him was snipped <moderated>

...You can't discuss as if it's like a stock vehicle with stock numbers and then drop a bomb shell later about knowing it was modified and still have a reasonable argument. 

Come on man. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, adrynalyne said:

717hp 2015 Hennesey Mustang topped out at 195...so we are probably looking at 850hp+ to get to 208. Once you get into really high speeds, it takes massive horsepower for even small gains.

I think it far more likely that someone is wrong about what the real speed was.

I'd be damn disappointed to only manage 195 :(

That's why he all sadface in the mugshot. He knows they're lying.

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

...You can't discuss as if it's like a stock vehicle with stock numbers and then drop a bomb shell later about knowing it was modified and still have a reasonable argument. 

Come on man. 

In honesty bud, I thought the fact that every time I mentioned my car as an ex police car would have sufficed

Granted I lost the argument, ok, the sun will still come up tomorrow.

I've been told that they're usually just remapped and have a lightened flywheel, as any more than that, they become too expensive to be viable with labour times and parts etc. when they come to get rid of em. But I'll even concede that as a 'word of mouth' comment, (so no need to reply to that, I already know roughly what you'll say)

That's why I brought up the news article about that cop doing 159, I have no clue as to whether that Vectra was modified.

The remark about the Phaeton..

The Vectra in the YouTube video is running as Stock, the point I was desperately trying to make was that it is possible, nothing else.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

In honesty bud, I thought the fact that every time I mentioned my car as an ex police car would have sufficed

Granted I lost the argument, ok, the sun will still come up tomorrow.

I've been told that they're usually just remapped and have a lightened flywheel, as any more than that, they become too expensive to be viable with labour times and parts etc. when they come to get rid of em. But I'll even concede that as a 'word of mouth' comment, (so no need to reply to that, I already know roughly what you'll say)

That's why I brought up the news article about that cop doing 159, I have no clue as to whether that Vectra was modified.

The remark about the Phaeton..

The Vectra in the YouTube video is running as Stock, the point I was desperately trying to make was that it is possible, nothing else.

Fair enough. 

On 2/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, adrynalyne said:

You are familiar with the area travelled in this story and can vouch it's miles of straight, flat, and perfect road?

Tires shouldn't be an issue. Most uhp tires are rated high enough for those speeds. 

Depending on which area of the turnpike he was traveling, yeah, it's straight for miles and the road, which is a toll road, is only about 25 years old, so probably in pretty good shape.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:06 AM, The Evil Overlord said:

It may take a mile or 2 to get there, but my point was it didn't need 600 horses to do so.

I still don't believe the numbers are correct.  The only reason I say it, I've worked in the car industry now for 10 years, it's just not possible.  To give an example, we ran up my car (205KW) on the weekend on the ground.  It wasn't getting anywhere near the numbers you are talking, and that's with the limiter disabled.  And this is less than 12 months old.

4 hours ago, Nashy said:

I still don't believe the numbers are correct.  The only reason I say it, I've worked in the car industry now for 10 years, it's just not possible.  To give an example, we ran up my car (205KW) on the weekend on the ground.  It wasn't getting anywhere near the numbers you are talking, and that's with the limiter disabled.  And this is less than 12 months old.

Then we're at an impasse

I've supplied newspaper articles, which incidentally made the actual news, and a video. Short of buying another Omega like my old one, renting a race track, hiring a professional to set up speed monitoring equipment, and flying you both over, to witness this first hand, I don't know what else to say or do.

37 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Then we're at an impasse

I've supplied newspaper articles, which incidentally made the actual news, and a video. Short of buying another Omega like my old one, renting a race track, hiring a professional to set up speed monitoring equipment, and flying you both over, to witness this first hand, I don't know what else to say or do.

I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, I'm just trying to discuss.  The numbers simply don't work.  I have no reason to believe your car wasn't hitting those speeds, but if it was, I think you were packing a hell of a lot more under the bonnet than what you had been lead to believe.

1 minute ago, Nashy said:

I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, I'm just trying to discuss.  The numbers simply don't work.  I have no reason to believe your car wasn't hitting those speeds, but if it was, I think you were packing a hell of a lot more under the bonnet than what you had been lead to believe.

pm incoming

• Like 2