Dell Inspiron Making God Awful Noise

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Isn't that a given? :rofl:

Also since he's in Kentucky, that would include his family recipe for Moonshine as well! :D 

dang - too bad I dont work for Dell anymore - I'd have to email someone in that division to pull a repair order - and have that laptop sent to engineering for a *data investigation* :shifty:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

dang - too bad I dont work for Dell anymore - I'd have to email someone in that division to pull a repair order - and have that laptop sent to engineering for a *data investigation* :shifty:

And you send recipe to me.   :laugh:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got it back, all seems to be well.  According to the report that came back with the laptop they replaced the fan and "installed driver", I guess for the fan controller or temperature sensors or something.

Seems to be working fine so far, I'm gonna leave it running for a while, let her play some Minecraft and such to get the fan running and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Good to hear! Was your family's moonshine recipe compromised at all? :D 

Nah, did a backup to the home server and did a factory reset before I shipped it off, so unless they got really desperate to find deleted files, all our data was safe. :shiftyninja:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gerowen said:

So this happened today.

Upon researching it online it appears the correct number is 800-624-9896  looks like they mistyped it. Still might want to verify the number. some people are saying 800-624-9896  is a spam number, others are saying it's their legit number... so I dunno, though it does look close to the one in your email, only off by 1 digit.

Man - this story is so typical of OEM warranty repairs, and unfortunately so typical of Dell.

Dell did their own warranty repairs in house at one time.  But, you said you sent it to Texas.  If it was to Irving or Grapevine - then they have started outsourcing it.  I can tell you those warranty repair depots have to low bid so badly to get an OEM's business - they are basically sweatshops, where the techs are expected to repair ANY laptop within an hour.  That is the only way they can make money.  For many cases - 1 hour is doable - but most of the time - the only way to get the laptop "finished" that fast is to cut corners.

I am really sorry you have had to deal with this, and it is far from over.

Even if I was still with Dell - I dont deal with anything consumer related and wouldnt know anyone.

As far as the # - I think that is possibly simply hitting a 6 instead of a 3 - since they are right next to each other on a 10-key - it is likely.

56 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Stay away from Dell, far away... With the issues you been having... Can you sue them? :laugh:

LOL - He can - he certainly can.  I am sure there are a bunch of sleezy independent lawyers who would tell him he has a good case - they would charge $750 - and would eventually get his laptop fixed... LOL.

This sucks - it is just so damned typical of OEM repair BS.

I think its time to embellish the situation a little to get a fire lit under someone's ass.

I would imagine - telling a mgr that your wife NEEDS this laptop repaired before Jan 2 - no excuses because she is starting her post-grad academic career & your "father-in-law who is an attorney, and consumer's rights litigation expert"  has already said he would be happy to get involved - and that mgr is adding to the negligence of Dell, et al - and you are considering having him start a class action lawsuit, which according to the many grieved Dell customers online - would be a relatively easy case....   a slight embellishment :blush:

That might be what needs to happen in order to get someone off their butt - I wouldnt be surprised if a new laptop was sent out...

(Oh - double check your HDD is backed up before sending) - after all - you are dealing with effing idiots.

you bought the wrong pillow? (j/k)....man, I would google every single Dell number I could find, and harass the **** out of them if I were you. I'd be Dell's worst nightmare....but that's just me. I'd call them every five minutes.....and ask to get the trouble call escalated....they owe you at LEAST that much, after putting you through that trouble!!!! Whatever you do, though, DO NOT crack it open and try to fix it yourself......you'll void the warranty. Just don't give up, man.....you gotta stick to your guns on this type of thing. Don't give up until you get the call escalated to a higher level of support. If that doesn't work, then I'd seek an attorney, if it's that vital.....THAT will get them in high-gear for sure. Threaten them with an attorney, and they'll probably even upgrade your purchase. ;)