NHTSA - Drowsy while driving? Drink coffee.

Terrible advice ... lol.  What is next ... take a couple of shots of whiskey to help you relax before a long stressful drive?

eat 2 avocados for nice sex

49 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Terrible advice ... lol.  What is next ... take a couple of shots of whiskey to help you relax before a long stressful drive?

Are you trying to say coffee does not counteract drowsiness?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, troysavary said:

Are you trying to say coffee does not counteract drowsiness?

It can help ... but it does not overcome the effects of drowsiness.  Caffeine should never be considered a replacement for rest ... especially when you're behind the wheel (also consider it takes ~30 minutes to take effect).  Also, if you're a regular coffee (or other beverage with caffeine) drinker ... it won't have much of an effect on you.

If you're driving and you are starting to feel drowsy ... best to pull over.  Not "Drink 1-2 cups of coffee if you’re feeling sleepy"

I think the advice is good, but can't be extended beyond sensible limits...

I routinely take long drives from Philadelphia to Canada when run 8-10 and I drive those straight. I usually drink a fairly decent number of coffees or espressos along the way to keep me going which work very well. The coffee does a great job of counteracting the drowsiness that is a natural byproduct of long stretches of driving. I would consider this different than tiredness which I would consider the result of "excessive drowsiness". What I mean is... If I'm drowsy from boredom coffee will keep me alert more. I'm not tired, but I'm bored I guess. If I get "tired" then no amount of coffee will really work. I'll notice I'm starting to have trouble staying focused and alert... When that happens, obviously, I pull over and nap or rotate out to another driver when I feel tired.

I think NHTSA is suggesting coffee for the stage I tend to use it for, but not for the being tired...

I agree they need to be a lot clearer though as it can be very dangerous to mix the two up and for people to drive tired. It is very dangerous!

7 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

It can help ... but it does not overcome the effects of drowsiness.  Caffeine should never be considered a replacement for rest ... especially when you're behind the wheel (also consider it takes ~30 minutes to take effect).  Also, if you're a regular coffee (or other beverage with caffeine) drinker ... it won't have much of an effect on you.

If you're driving and you are starting to feel drowsy ... best to pull over.  Not "Drink 1-2 cups of coffee if you’re feeling sleepy"

Dude stop.

18 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

OK, now I understand the point you were making. It is true, coffee is no replacement for rest, and it would be dangerous to use it to attempt to complete a long drive. But if all you need is a quick pick me up to get home when it is 20 minutes away, it works great for some people.

11 hours ago, LogicalApex said:

I think the advice is good, but can't be extended beyond sensible limits...

I routinely take long drives from Philadelphia to Canada when run 8-10 and I drive those straight. I usually drink a fairly decent number of coffees or espressos along the way to keep me going which work very well. The coffee does a great job of counteracting the drowsiness that is a natural byproduct of long stretches of driving. I would consider this different than tiredness which I would consider the result of "excessive drowsiness". What I mean is... If I'm drowsy from boredom coffee will keep me alert more. I'm not tired, but I'm bored I guess. If I get "tired" then no amount of coffee will really work. I'll notice I'm starting to have trouble staying focused and alert... When that happens, obviously, I pull over and nap or rotate out to another driver when I feel tired.

I think NHTSA is suggesting coffee for the stage I tend to use it for, but not for the being tired...

I agree they need to be a lot clearer though as it can be very dangerous to mix the two up and for people to drive tired. It is very dangerous!

Exactly. The very act of freeway driving, with the lack of driver input needed since the roads are mostly straight, along with the droning of the tires, can lull you into a sleep-like state. Just the physical act of bringing the mug to your lips is enough to break the routine and keep you more alert.