R.I.P. What.CD

Just found out about this. Super sad. Probably one of the greatest collections of music. It saddens me that I wasn't able to download it all, legal or not. I would spend my life buying all the albums, just to be legit.

What?  CD?  Sad.

I have not used the site in YEARS.   but i liked the idea of an archive!   

i found some of the most obscure foreign language cds there that I could not ever possibly find again. ever :(

some of the stuff there was magical. and impossible to find, no matter how much money you pay!

Private trackers are very vulnerable to legal seizure, as they by their nature would not able to have the same resiliency as publicly open trackers.

And private torrents would not able to use the DHT by design.

5 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

Can someone please tell me what @BinaryDatais on about?

I got side tracked and forgot the link, my bad bro.

The site was amazing, it had more music than Spotify could ever hope to have. I believe it was counted at one point, that they had over 100TB of music. Remember, this was literally EVERYTHING by ANYONE. Tape Mixes, CDs released before they were big, etc.. It was an archivists wet dream to download that site. Whats next to come down is IPTorrents, and at that point, I'll be sad as hell.

4 hours ago, freqnasty said:

How many songs were believed to on there? Are talking a similar number to the likes of Spotify etc. ?

I would posit Spotify X 12.  It was super vast.  

2 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Hmm? Never heard of it, but never used torrents either.

Going by title of post, I thought this was going to be about cd's not being made anymore! :)

what.cd was the web domain. Though, I can see how it could fool someone.

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.
Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

The following punishments may be applied to your account following infractions:

Posting a link to pirated software/film/tv/music. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Suggesting (overtly endorsing) that somebody pirate material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Requesting assistance in pirating material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Posting screenshots that show obviously pirated material (e.g. someone's uTorrent download screen) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

Openly discussing pirated material (e.g. z0mg - new episode of Lost was amazing!! BitTorrent FTW!) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

Repeat offenders of the above examples will eventually be restricted from posting all together

https://www.neowin.net/forum/guidelines/

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Sorry. It was news. We talked about KAT going down, What.CD was just as large as KAT, I even see GMods and Mods discussing it in there. Not ONCE, did I ever see a mod or anyone complain about it. It's not like I'm selling an invite or anything. It was the largest collection of music ever put in one location. Legitimate or not, you can't deny that. Would it help if I linked a freaking article? Guess we shouldn't talk about webservers, seedboxes, or computers. That stuffs used for illegal activities too! /s

10 hours ago, norseman said:

Please don't share stuff like this. It puts a lot of people at risk.

And your comment was necessary because..........?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Not ONCE, did I ever see a mod or anyone complain about it.

You never know but someone could have used the report feature and the mods are only just looking into this now :p 

42 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

You never know but someone could have used the report feature and the mods are only just looking into this now :p 

I find it absolutely ridiculous that talking about something that was shutdown is "frowned" upon. It's friggin' news man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Sorry. It was news. We talked about KAT going down, What.CD was just as large as KAT, I even see GMods and Mods discussing it in there. Not ONCE, did I ever see a mod or anyone complain about it. It's not like I'm selling an invite or anything. It was the largest collection of music ever put in one location. Legitimate or not, you can't deny that. Would it help if I linked a freaking article? Guess we shouldn't talk about webservers, seedboxes, or computers. That stuffs used for illegal activities too! /s

And your comment was necessary because..........?

No need to get defensive ;)

It's fine to discuss it as news, which is why the topic is still open. One member has mentioned what they pirated though which as the rules say, is not permitted. Their comment was removed and my post is a PSA for others not to do the same thing.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2016 at 11:18 AM, Andrew said:

It's fine to discuss it as news, which is why the topic is still open. One member has mentioned what they pirated though which as the rules say, is not permitted. Their comment was removed and my post is a PSA for others not to do the same thing.

Indeed, you have my blessing, remove posts  but keep topic open, I'll allow it :p  j/k please don't kill me

21 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Well, that didn't take long. There's already viable replacements out there.

yeah, the piracy Hydra

On topic though, seriously,  What.cd was the biggest collection of rarities     AND high quality    Sadly, the music industry is not controlled by artists, but rather greedy corps who dont' care about preserving art.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BinaryData said:

I find it absolutely ridiculous that talking about something that was shutdown is "frowned" upon. It's friggin' news man.

I will be bringing up the Neowin site and forum with different trackers because of this, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Alright. Well, What.CD was ALL about music. Thus the name "What.CD" referring to "What CD do you want?". It was an amazing collection. 100TB of music of every form possible. Wasn't just music, soundtracks and lots of other juicy stuff. 

1 hour ago, norseman said:

I will be bringing up the Neowin site and forum with different trackers because of this, unfortunately.

Your post made absolutely no sense. Also, discussing trackers, private or not IS slightly frowned upon. However, asking for help on running a public tracker is not. I haven't released the tutorial yet, which has @Steven P.s blessing to release. It uses OpenTracker.

17 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Alright. Well, What.CD was ALL about music. Thus the name "What.CD" referring to "What CD do you want?". It was an amazing collection. 100TB of music of every form possible. Wasn't just music, soundtracks and lots of other juicy stuff.

You don't need to educate me on the web site. I know what they offered.

Just don't jump down my throat for doing my duties, please :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

but rather greedy corps who dont' care about preserving art.

I would agree with this, but there are some exceptions for sure.  Grateful Dead has always been open to fans sharing their music..  Archive.org has pretty much any rare live music you could think of theirs.

Oh it was so amazing getting a show via snailmail on cassette back in the day.  Many of the shows were recorded right off the sound board, etc.  I have many of these in my closet.. But I converted it to digital long time ago...

I am with the mods on this though - these sorts of discussions can degrade really fast on how or where to get something that might not be in line with site policy or actually "legal".  But agree that such a site closing is news, and should be free to discuss.  Just have to be careful with your comments, so you don't cross the line ;) 

Discussion of say PB going down would be fine I would think, as long as you don't post say alternate urls or proxies to get there, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

You don't need to educate me on the web site. I know what they offered.

Just don't jump down my throat for doing my duties, please :)

Wasn't trying too, just felt frustrated because it seems like the mods like to pick on me. :( 

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

I would agree with this, but there are some exceptions for sure.  Grateful Dead has always been open to fans sharing their music..  Archive.org has pretty much any rare live music you could think of theirs.

Oh it was so amazing getting a show via snailmail on cassette back in the day.  Many of the shows were recorded right off the sound board, etc.  I have many of these in my closet.. But I converted it to digital long time ago...

I am with the mods on this though - these sorts of discussions can degrade really fast on how or where to get something that might not be in line with site policy or actually "legal".  But agree that such a site closing is news, and should be free to discuss.  Just have to be careful with your comments, so you don't cross the line ;) 

Discussion of say PB going down would be fine I would think, as long as you don't post say alternate urls or proxies to get there, etc.

SnailMail? Must be before my time. I grew up when UPS/USPS/FedEx delivered everything :p

I do agree, as long as the mods aren't total ###### about it. Andrew removed a single response, which kept the thread fairly healthy. As long as it's news, and stays on topic, then I'm cool. But I don't want to get dinged for posting a link to a News Article.

I wouldn't post links to a torrent site or explain how to get access to them, not publicly anyways. PMs are slightly different, but even at that point, I'd probably just ignore them. Oh well, What.CD was amazing just for the sheer collection.

• Like 1

Topic Cleaned

As stated earlier, the discussion surrounding the closure of What.CD is allowed. What is not allowed is made clear in the guidelines:

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.

Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

The following punishments may be applied to your account following infractions:

Posting a link to pirated software/film/tv/music. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Suggesting (overtly endorsing) that somebody pirate material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Requesting assistance in pirating material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE

Posting screenshots that show obviously pirated material (e.g. someone's uTorrent download screen) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

Openly discussing pirated material (e.g. z0mg - new episode of Lost was amazing!! BitTorrent FTW!) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

Repeat offenders of the above examples will eventually be restricted from posting all together

I don't want to hear anymore about cross checking email addresses between sites.