Toddler saves dad's life by force-feeding him yogurt

Three-year-old Lenny-George Jones noticed his dad was slipping into a diabetic coma – but thanks to his quick thinking, his dad was OK.

He managed to drag his little blue chair over to the fridge and grab two Muller Crunch Corners.

Then, being too small to reach his parents’ cutlery drawer, he found a plastic knife in his toy kitchen – and spooned the yogurt into his dad’s mouth.

His dad Mark, 34, eventually came around and was able to take his glucose tablets.

Lenny’s mum Emma, 31, said she couldn’t be prouder of her young son – especially as they had never sat down with Lenny to explain Mark’s diabetes, or what to do if something like this happened.

‘He saved his life,’ she said. ‘Mark is a Type 1 diabetic and has to take insulin four times a day. It was a Sunday night, I needed to nip to my mum’s – which is literally two minutes around the corner by car – and I left them watching CBeebies together.

‘I’d been out for about 30 minutes and when I got back they were lying on the sofa. Mark didn’t look well, so I said, “What’s going on here?”

‘Lenny just turned to me and said “I saved daddy” – and Mark said it was true. He had.’

Emma added that when she got home Mark’s blood sugar levels were at 1.1. They should normally be between four and seven.

However, they think he must have seen Emma getting yogurts for Mark in the past when he’s fallen ill.

Source

• Like 3

Yes, I thought it was really a cool story! Can anyone who is British translate this line:  I needed to nip to my mum’s. Does that mean go to or run to my mom's?

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, I thought it was really a cool story! Can anyone who is British translate this line:  I needed to nip to my mum’s. Does that mean go to or run to my mom's?

Yes, 'nip to' basically means 'quickly visit'.

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yeah, that's right, used mostly in a situation where something is expected to be done quickly or shouldn't take a long time. 

Great story, it's funny just how much kids pick up on that you wouldn't even think about.

2 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

Yes, 'nip to' basically means 'quickly visit'.

2 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Yeah, that's right, used mostly in a situation where something is expected to be done quickly or shouldn't take a long time. 

Great story, it's funny just how much kids pick up on that you wouldn't even think about.

Thanks to both for the quick answer! You dang brits with your funny slang! :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I was going to reply with it's the same as saying  "I need to pop to the shops" but then I realised that's probably going to be just as confusing :)

42 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Hey now, I've heard plenty of confusing American slang over the years! :p

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Hey now, I've heard plenty of confusing American slang over the years! :p

You should hear Michiganders talk - we have our own dialect, a mix of English, French, Native American, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish. Things like adding s to store names to make it possessive, Livonia is pronounced Lih-vōne-yuh and "did you eat?" becomes Jãeat?, mirror becomes meer, and sometimes Lōpers/Trolls and Yoopers (lower peninsula and a upper peninsula folks) barely understand each other.

Edited by DocM