Federal Judge Issues Nationwide Injunction Putting Overtime-Pay Regulation on Hold

WASHINGTON—A federal judge issued a nationwide injunction blocking a sweeping regulation set to qualify millions more Americans for overtime pay Dec. 1, delivering a blow to one of President Barack Obama’s signature workplace rules.

The Labor Department completed the rule in May as part of the Obama administration’s goal to restore and expand the middle class -- either by raising incomes for workers in industries such as retail, food service and beyond or by giving them back personal time they’ve forgone while working extra hours unpaid.

The rule would require employers to start paying overtime to workers earning salaries of less than $47,476 a year—a threshold the business community and many states say is too big a jump from the current $23,660 last updated in 2004. Some workers whose salaries exceed the threshold can qualify for overtime pay depending on job duties.

Even without court action, the fate of the rule has been far from assured as it also faces a possible strong challenge from Donald Trump,the president-elect who has vowed to roll back business regulations.

The injunction was issued Tuesday by Judge Amos Mazzant in Texas.

Judge Mazzant in the order said the challengers had made a sufficient case “that the Department’s salary level under the Final Rule and the automatic updating mechanism are without statutory authority.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-judge-issues-nationwide-injunction-putting-overtime-pay-regulation-on-hold-1479857762?mod=e2fb

And here we go with more backwards politics... Although, let's be real, if this would have passed, employers would have found a loophole anyway... shame for the working man who bleeds for his job and sacrifices a good life to never get paid for it..

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty messed up. I'm glad that my employer has no choice when it comes to OT, I work for a company who runs businesses on Navy bases, so they are governed by the Government's rules (overtime after 8 hours on the clock), granted it does not happen very often, but when it does it really nice!

IF he wanted to do this there are proper channels, but once again, for the umpteenth time, President Obama has ignored Federal law with either a regulation or executive order and it's blown up in his face. He thinks the Constitution and Federal law don't apply to him. Old News.

Some of his fiascoes were so bad that he was overturned in the Supreme Court by 9-0, meaning even Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against him.  BIG hint.

And he can't even blame Republicans for this; it was President Obama himself who nominated Judge Mazzant to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, on June 26, 2014. 

Amateur in Chief.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

IF he wanted to do this there are proper channels, but once again, for the umpteenth time, President Obama has ignored Federal law with either a regulation or executive order and it's blown up in his face. He thinks the Constitution and Federal law don't apply to him. Old News.

Some of his fiascoes were so bad that he was overturned in the Supreme Court by 9-0, meaning even Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted against him.  BIG hint.

And he can't even blame Republicans for this; it was President Obama himself who nominated Judge Mazzant to the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, on June 26, 2014. 

Amateur in Chief.

Isn't that because of stonewall in congress on anything against the opposing parties ideals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocM said:

Amateur in Chief.

Well considering the "proper channels" have been opposing 90% of everything he tries to pass, why even try. Hell this was the longest time that they blocked a SCOTUS nominee, so long he had to actually cancel the nomination. You want to pretend that congress wanted to be bi-partisan and work with the president? Fine, you have that right, but it's a load of hooey and you know it, I know it, and everyone here knows it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ensiform said:

Isn't that because of stonewall in congress on anything against the opposing parties ideals?

He'd have a harder time making his case, however his predecessors would roll up their sleeves and try to forge a bipartisan concensus to get it passed.

Ronald Reagan did it with Democrat Speaker Tip O'Neill, and Bill Clinton did it with Republican Speaker Newt Gingrich.  Rinse, wash, repeat for most any previous President

Obama tried for a large budget deficit reduction bill in 2011 with Republican Speaker John Boehner and Senate leader Harry Reid. Boehner and Reid actually reached a concensus and were ready to go, but the deal was fragile and needed a soft touch by Obama - something being better than nothing. Instead, Obama tossed in a hand grenade - demanding a $400 million tax increase. Bye Bye deal. Boehner, and many moderate members in both parties who had signed on, never trusted Obama again. Boehner, normally very calm, was so angry he was throwing telephones.

Edited by DocM

Wait, you guys in the US have to work overtime for free? Screw that...

If my employer wants me to do my job outside of working ours, he can pay me or I won't be there.  I'm not a slave.