2 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

So why didn't they take the cards back and add thermal pads themselves instead of having customers do that and risk voiding those best warranties?

The customer doesn't have to request/install the pads if they don't want to, they can request an advanced RMA instead.

17 minutes ago, xendrome said:

The customer doesn't have to request/install the pads if they don't want to, they can request an advanced RMA instead.

I guess it's OK if you live in the US (or UK?). In Eastern Europe they're only offer low tier 2 year warranties, while being more expensive than the competition. Regardless, EVGA is not trustworthy any more after this and the previous misaligned heatpipes cooler issue. Their cost-cutting is harming their products and wasting consumer time with avoidable RMAs. I wonder what they'll mess up next.

17 minutes ago, SenatorRobb said:

It would be a shame to have spent so much money on this rig, then refuse to spend just $300 to replace the processor after RMA'ing the Mobo.
So I might just throw in that i7 6700 or and i5 6600, if the i5 isn't a bad idea, as it's more of a gaming rig then anything else, or supposed to be. Then I can focus my efforts on the AMD solution and then not upgrade too much for a while, as I'll have two good gaming type rigs and an AiO in the house.

If gaming is what you're after, the i7 is just a waste of money, as you're not going to get much of an improvement over the i5.

5 hours ago, xendrome said:

Pretty sure this was confirmed by people running Furmark, not good for any video card to be running. Stories on these types of failures going back to 2011. If the card is run within spec, even overclocked it won't burn up.

I crunch using my GPU which can keep it at 100% for... months.  I have mixed tasks so my GPU varies from around 60-100% usage 24/7 365.  Never any fires here.

6 hours ago, Luc2k said:

If gaming is what you're after, the i7 is just a waste of money, as you're not going to get much of an improvement over the i5.

Thank you muchly! Gonna throw in an i5, and wait for Summit Ridge's successor is almost available, that makes it easier with money too as I'm not building one right after the other, well 6 months apart.

7 hours ago, Luc2k said:

I have only skimmed through this thread as it applies to applications that I have no interest in.  However, the above comment has me confused.

This comment suggests the new i5 is the way to go in a gaming build ?

Or have I just read something out of context ?

Just now, T3X4S said:

I have only skimmed through this thread as it applies to applications that I have no interest in.  However, the above comment has me confused.

I have a GeForce 980Ti in it, too boot to handle the graphics load, debating getting a 1080FTW, and use sli mode, but haven't made up my mind. If that changes things?

6 minutes ago, SenatorRobb said:

I have a GeForce 980Ti in it, too boot to handle the graphics load, debating getting a 1080FTW, and use sli mode, but haven't made up my mind. If that changes things?

No, I am simply concerned about the comment on an i5 being a better choice over an i7, regardless of what it plugged up to it.  I was just wondering what the story behind the comment is.

If someone has top level cards, why would one choose an i5 over an i7 ?  That question begs answers by itself.  But to @Luc2k that the i7 "was a waste of money" if building a gaming machine.  That is what I am asking about.

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

From what I've gathered over the past few years in terms of gaming, there is very little different between an i5 and an i7 processor performance wise. If you transcode videos, compress files, etc, then the i7 would out-perform the i5 and that would sway a decision on which processor to get. But for actual gaming, you are looking at minuscule differences in performance between the two, like a couple of FPS.

15 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

From what I've gathered over the past few years in terms of gaming, there is very little different between an i5 and an i7 processor performance wise. If you transcode videos, compress files, etc, then the i7 would out-perform the i5 and that would sway a decision on which processor to get. But for actual gaming, you are looking at minuscule differences in performance between the two, like a couple of FPS.

Thank you, that is exactly the answer I was looking for.
I realize benchmarks make things appear to be massive in terms of performance deltas between i5 & i7, but have never taken the time to look @ real world differences.  It was just something I always assumed, but never cared to examine.

Of course, I wont use this knowledge when building my next powerhouse, but I am glad someone sees things the same way I do. ;)

13 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Thank you, that is exactly the answer I was looking for.
I realize benchmarks make things appear to be massive in terms of performance deltas between i5 & i7, but have never taken the time to look @ real world differences.  It was just something I always assumed, but never cared to examine.

Of course, I wont use this knowledge when building my next powerhouse, but I am glad someone sees things the same way I do. ;)

No worries. I must admit, I'm not as up to date as I'd like to be in terms of knowing the performance benchmarks and differences between the processor families, but I can't imagine that much changing from a gaming perspective. Though this article may sum it up for you: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/

5 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Precisely what Daedroth said. Take a i5k vs a i7k in a given generation and the stock performance difference in games is at most 5%, while costing 100$ more, usually.

From what OP was saying, this rig would be a secondary one, with the main one being built with Zen. That one should handle games reasonably close to Intel, while being superior in video encoding/editing. We'll know more once Zen is released.

• Like 2

WTH do you need a 1600 Watt PSU for?

If you don't already have an Intel board/cpu. wait a couple more months for Zen. You'll be angry if you could've gotten an 8 core/16 thread cpu for the same price as that i7. Assuming the rumors are true of course :)

Latest info I read was this. AMD Zen will come in 4 desktop versions, 8-core SR7 Special @499$, 8-core SR7 @350$, 6-core SR5 @250$ and 4-core SR3 @150$. All four will have hyperthreading and will be without GPU. The sweet spot for me would be SR7.

Edited by Yogurth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Latest info I read is this. AMD Zen will come in 4 desktop versions, 8-core SR7 Special @499$, 8-core SR7 @350$, 6-core SR5 @250$ and 4-core SR3 @150$. All four will have hyperthreading and will be without GPU. The sweet spot for me would be SR7.

Well actually this rig was planned in mid 2015, but recently went down. I paid premium, when the i7 6700K first came out. I've had the rig for over a year, it's just the processor and board ended up getting fried, so the board is under warranty but the guy who originally put it together bent some pins, and quite some, but then had to unbend them. So yes, I was angry and thus decided I'd try to learn this myself, and I would build with my hands the next one. I've always known a lot about pc's but never did this before, so... yea. It ran for quite a while, before going berzerk-o. :(

Edit: Forgot the reason for the quote... :laugh: I'll probably be getting the SR7 Special. But I refuse to go more than $525 for a cpu. ~$750 for a gpu. So I want to get a GTX 1080 for my newer intel rig but thank god this happened before plugging in a GTX 1080 FTW. But now planning for Zen, I'm trying to save funds not blow them so... I might say hell with it who knows. I hope that all made sense :laugh:

4 hours ago, slamfire92 said:

WTH do you need a 1600 Watt PSU for?

If you don't already have an Intel board/cpu. wait a couple more months for Zen. You'll be angry if you could've gotten an 8 core/16 thread cpu for the same price as that i7. Assuming the rumors are true of course :)

I was planning on running three SLI's, but part of that was my fault, part was trusting a someone who did it for a living, now I trust me.

Edit 2: Sorry, thought being these two posts were so close in time, they'd merge. Now I should go ask a mod... my stupidity.

11 minutes ago, SenatorRobb said:

Well actually this rig was planned in mid 2015, but recently went down. I paid premium, when the i7 6700K first came out. I've had the rig for over a year, it's just the processor and board ended up getting fried, so the board is under warranty but the guy who originally put it together bent some pins, and quite some, but then had to unbend them. So yes, I was angry and thus decided I'd try to learn this myself, and I would build with my hands the next one. I've always known a lot about pc's but never did this before, so... yea. It ran for quite a while, before going berzerk-o. :(

Edit: Forgot the reason for the quote... :laugh: I'll probably be getting the SR7 Special. But I refuse to go more than $525 for a cpu. ~$750 for a gpu. So I want to get a GTX 1080 for my newer intel rig but thank god this happened before plugging in a GTX 1080 FTW. But now planning for Zen, I'm trying to save funds not blow them so... I might say hell with it who knows. I hope that all made sense :laugh:

Special will most likely be what the "Black edition" was in the past with Athlon. Hand picked chips with better OC capabilities...not sure is it worth the price.

56 minutes ago, SenatorRobb said:

I was planning on running three SLI's, but part of that was my fault, part was trusting a someone who did it for a living, now I trust me.

Edit 2: Sorry, thought being these two posts were so close in time, they'd merge. Now I should go ask a mod... my stupidity.

Yeah, he was just saying with the current build (1 GPU) - there is no reason for such a monster PSU.  I always side on overkill when it comes to PSU - but that is just .... too much.

a 1000W Platinum would still be overkill - but one can get a 1KW Platinum Seasonic like mine for $240 - and it would never break a sweat in that build.

1 hour ago, SenatorRobb said:

Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but I think Nvidia no longer supports more than two cards in SLI.

4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Yeah, he was just saying with the current build (1 GPU) - there is no reason for such a monster PSU.  I always side on overkill when it comes to PSU - but that is just .... too much.

a 1000W Platinum would still be overkill - but one can get a 1KW Platinum Seasonic like mine for $240 - and it would never break a sweat in that build.

I think I paid just $40 or $50 more/ so I felt rather than repurchase a psu again in the future, I'd have enough. Anyways live and learn as I realized that a little late.

3 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but I think Nvidia no longer supports more than two cards in SLI.

Yes, I learned all this, and the guy who was supposed to help me which my neighbor said would, either didn't himself know what he was doing well enough or just didn't care. Like I said, I learned from my mistakes but I appreciate you guys at least being honest. Now can we please leave my stupidity in the past, please?

Edit 2: Did it again. Ugh now I'm flustered.

Make sure you're grounded when you attempt to assemble all of this! If available, I'd recommend paying an experienced individual to oversee your assembly since this is your first time.

1 minute ago, slamfire92 said:

Make sure you're grounded when you attempt to assemble all of this!

I at least got that right when I first did assemble it :)

Edit: well when I tried to.

Edit 2: Before I realized I was over my head and got his help. The kicker was how long it took for it to be assembled.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to hijack your thread ... but regarding the topic: AMD *Ridge vs. Intel *Lake

WCCFTech reports, citing a French PC Magazine, that the Ryzen (doesn't give the variation other than identifying code) is comparable to the i7-6700k.  It also draws less wattage (93 which is less than both i7-6900K and FX-8370).

What is probably one of the biggest leaks of this year has just occurred. A review that was apparently published (in paper form) before the NDA lifted has leaked out from a trusted French PC hardware guru and reveals real-world performance testing of the Zen based Ryzen processor. The clocks of the Ryzen CPU used in this testing are the same as all the leaks we have seen so far, namely an all core turbo of 3.3 GHz (with a base clock of 3.15 GHz) although Lisa Su has stated in the New Horizons event that the final clocks will be 3.4 GHz+.

CPCHardware, short for Canard PC Hardware is a well-known PC magazine from France that has been in print since 2001. The review in question was conducted by the hardware guru Doc Teraboule, and gives a basic summary of the Ryzen processor. Before we begin, I would like to mention that the identifying code of the processor is AMD 2D3151A2M88E and the chip is not mentioned by its new marketing name. 

/snip

Lisa Su’s statement says the final CPU will be clocked at 3.4 Ghz, and this sample is at 3.15 Ghz base clock. If that happens, we are looking at a clock increase of ~8%. Assuming a textbook linear increase (which usually does not happen), the 6900K will still be 5.6% faster than the Ryzen. The maximum clock speed we have heard about is around 3.5 GHz and even if that comes true, these benchmarks show that the 6900K is still comfortably ahead of the Ryzen (for optimized and unoptimized loads). That said, consider the fact that you are talking about a processor that is 2-3 times as expensive as the Ryzen but only a few percentage points faster.

/snip

Full article at WCCFtech

That is pretty exciting ... comparable performance to the 6900K for half the cost (if the particular AMD is the more expensive SR7 Black Edition) ... even more exciting if it was one of the cheaper models.

Maybe this will kick Intel in the butt and get them out of their (IMO) CPU stagnation.  

On 12/26/2016 at 10:26 AM, jjkusaf said:

Not to hijack your thread ... but regarding the topic: AMD *Ridge vs. Intel *Lake

WCCFTech reports, citing a French PC Magazine, that the Ryzen (doesn't give the variation other than identifying code) is comparable to the i7-6700k.  It also draws less wattage (93 which is less than both i7-6900K and FX-8370).

Full article at WCCFtech

That is pretty exciting ... comparable performance to the 6900K for half the cost (if the particular AMD is the more expensive SR7 Black Edition) ... even more exciting if it was one of the cheaper models.

Maybe this will kick Intel in the butt and get them out of their (IMO) CPU stagnation.  

I don't mind it being hijacked at all, I'm just thankful for all the help I recieved :) Thanks for the article!