News Comments Updates

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

Guys are You working on visibility for quotes? It is hard to follow who replied to whom without quotes being visible.

Quotes are visible, we're working on getting the citation displayed at the top of the quote so you can see who is being quoted.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

I'm not sure that's a great idea, search engines do tend to frown upon different content being delivered to their spiders compared to what users would see when viewing the page - they see it as trying to cheat the system to get better rankings, and can heavily penalise a site for doing it

Isn't that the same thing that you are already doing right now but you are using javascript to do the job? Or am I missing something?

Just now, Danielx64 said:

Isn't that the same thing that you are already doing right now but you are using javascript to do the job? Or am I missing something?

No man, we are just delaying loading of content with javascript which means bots can't index the content, what Dave is saying is that you are explicitly saying what bots can't read on a page.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've rolled out some improvements to comments this afternoon.

1. If you're logged in, you'll no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to trigger comments to load, they'll load as part of the page, so they're visible immediately
  2. Quote fixes:
    1. Only quotes of the 'parent' comment (if you're using the threaded view) will be stripped out, other quotes will remain intact
    2. The citation line has been restored to the top of the quote, which links back to the original comment

Sorry this has taken so long for us to get around to, but we got there in the end

1 hour ago, DaveLegg said:

1. If you're logged in, you'll no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to trigger comments to load, they'll load as part of the page, so they're visible immediately
  2. Quote fixes:
    1. Only quotes of the 'parent' comment (if you're using the threaded view) will be stripped out, other quotes will remain intact
    2. The citation line has been restored to the top of the quote, which links back to the original comment

Sorry this has taken so long for us to get around to, but we got there in the end

Great work, but I think something got broken in the process. I can't add a comment here: https://www.neowin.net/news/star-citizen-plans-to-drop-directx-and-exclusively-use-vulkan-graphics-api#add

Great update, Dave!

Would it be possible to allow users to lock their own parent comment, so they don't have to deal with notifications when they're done with it?

2 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

2. Quote fixes:

No apologies at all required mate, sterling work :) 

1 hour ago, LimeMaster said:

Great update, Dave!

Would it be possible to allow users to lock their own parent comment, so they don't have to deal with notifications when they're done with it?

Lock no, but being able to better manage notifications for comments is on the to-do list

• Like 2