• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

News Comments Updates

Recommended Posts

Yogurth    2,195

Guys are You working on visibility for quotes? It is hard to follow who replied to whom without quotes being visible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    974
1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

Guys are You working on visibility for quotes? It is hard to follow who replied to whom without quotes being visible.

Quotes are visible, we're working on getting the citation displayed at the top of the quote so you can see who is being quoted.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogurth    2,195
Just now, DaveLegg said:

Quotes are visible, we're working on getting the citation displayed at the top of the quote so you can see who is being quoted.

Right, that is  what I meant :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielx64    598
21 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

I'm not sure that's a great idea, search engines do tend to frown upon different content being delivered to their spiders compared to what users would see when viewing the page - they see it as trying to cheat the system to get better rankings, and can heavily penalise a site for doing it

Isn't that the same thing that you are already doing right now but you are using javascript to do the job? Or am I missing something?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    12,771
Just now, Danielx64 said:

Isn't that the same thing that you are already doing right now but you are using javascript to do the job? Or am I missing something?

 

 

No man, we are just delaying loading of content with javascript which means bots can't index the content, what Dave is saying is that you are explicitly saying what bots can't read on a page.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    974

I've rolled out some improvements to comments this afternoon.

  1. If you're logged in, you'll no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to trigger comments to load, they'll load as part of the page, so they're visible immediately
  2. Quote fixes:
    1. Only quotes of the 'parent' comment (if you're using the threaded view) will be stripped out, other quotes will remain intact
    2. The citation line has been restored to the top of the quote, which links back to the original comment

Sorry this has taken so long for us to get around to, but we got there in the end

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boo Berry    2,264

Groovy, thanks Dave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogurth    2,195
1 hour ago, DaveLegg said:

I've rolled out some improvements to comments this afternoon.

  1. If you're logged in, you'll no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to trigger comments to load, they'll load as part of the page, so they're visible immediately
  2. Quote fixes:
    1. Only quotes of the 'parent' comment (if you're using the threaded view) will be stripped out, other quotes will remain intact
    2. The citation line has been restored to the top of the quote, which links back to the original comment

Sorry this has taken so long for us to get around to, but we got there in the end

 

Great work, but I think something got broken in the process. I can't add a comment here: https://www.neowin.net/news/star-citizen-plans-to-drop-directx-and-exclusively-use-vulkan-graphics-api#add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yogurth    2,195
Just now, DaveLegg said:

Woops, fixed!

 

Uuu, fast...thx :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LimeMaster    15,600

Great update, Dave!

 

Would it be possible to allow users to lock their own parent comment, so they don't have to deal with notifications when they're done with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando    5,117
2 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

I've rolled out some improvements to comments this afternoon.

  1. If you're logged in, you'll no longer have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to trigger comments to load, they'll load as part of the page, so they're visible immediately
  2. Quote fixes:
    1. Only quotes of the 'parent' comment (if you're using the threaded view) will be stripped out, other quotes will remain intact
    2. The citation line has been restored to the top of the quote, which links back to the original comment

Sorry this has taken so long for us to get around to, but we got there in the end

No apologies at all required mate, sterling work :) 

 

thanks :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    974
1 hour ago, LimeMaster said:

Great update, Dave!

 

Would it be possible to allow users to lock their own parent comment, so they don't have to deal with notifications when they're done with it?

Lock no, but being able to better manage notifications for comments is on the to-do list

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LimeMaster    15,600

Sounds good, as currently it notifies you whenever somebody replies to the parent comment rather than if you are actually quoted or mentioned. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    12,771

Yep, unfollow comment is on the to-do (task list since I'm not a dev) :p 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.