Windows 10 upgrade still free after erased HD?

I have a windows laptop that came with windows 8 and I did the upgrade to windows 10 when MS had the free offer. I erased the HD because it had a virus and did the system recovery but now it is back to windows 8. If I upgrade it back to windows 10 will it cost me money? Or does MS have a way of knowing in its systems that I updated it to windows 10 before so that I would still get it free? 

If you've upgraded it once to Windows 10, then no, it would not cost you anything to upgrade again.  I've done this several times.  If the computer had never had windows 10, then yes, it would cost you.  You should be ok though. :)

• Like 1

You should be fine with the upgrade again.  However if for some reason it gives you an issue, there is still a free Microsoft upgrade for windows 10.  

I cant post the link to it, since the ethics behind it are questionable by some, but if you search windows 10 upgrade for assistive technologies you will find it.  

25 minutes ago, nukenorman said:

I have a windows laptop that came with windows 8 and I did the upgrade to windows 10 when MS had the free offer. I erased the HD because it had a virus and did the system recovery but now it is back to windows 8. If I upgrade it back to windows 10 will it cost me money? Or does MS have a way of knowing in its systems that I updated it to windows 10 before so that I would still get it free? 

You can get Windows 10 for free since you had Windows 10 before.  MS has your Hardware ID or MSA that linked to your Windows 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nukenorman said:

Yes, it will work.

clean install from media kit and skip key entry and it will pick up your digital entitlement when your first online.

• Like 1

Plus, even if you haven't installed windows 10 you should still be able to upgrade for free as a clean install using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 key.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

Plus, even if you haven't installed windows 10 you should still be able to upgrade for free as a clean install using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 key.

Did you miss the memo where that ended?

35 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Did you miss the memo where you can still upgrade 8 and 7 to Windows 10 by doing a clean install and it activates just fine! :D

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Did you miss the memo where you can still upgrade 8 and 7 to Windows 10 by doing a clean install and it activates just fine! :D

Until it doesnt and you end up looking silly ;)

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

Yeah but  did you get the memo that OP said he installed Windows 10 before when he got it for free back in the day. He was wondering to see if he could get it back for free since he erased his hard drive.  

So no key needed.  Just go ahead and install it and move on. If the installation asks for a key, he can skip it and get online then his Windows will be activated.

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

While technically possible, this isn't entirely accurate.

Windows Key saved at BIOS, not HDD

6 minutes ago, Marujan said:

Windows Key saved at BIOS, not HDD

The Windows 7 the key was on the outside of the computer on a Sticker and in the Windows Registry (although usually not the same key but a generic OEM key).  Windows 8 the key is stored in the bios and probably in the registry too after it's used. Windows 10 is in the bios too but not if you upgrade. For the upgrade or clean install upgrade it's a digital licence that Microsoft stores on their server which is why to activate Windows you usually don't have to enter a key and it's activated by the time you get to the desktop

Although the Good thing about the Windows 8 key in the bios for a Windows 10 install is that it never prompts you for a key.

After the Anniversary update your Digital Entitlement is linked to your MS account that will make adding a new HD alot easier. 

On 11/28/2016 at 2:09 AM, adrynalyne said:

it still works and activates fine mate ;) last tried saturday just passed, for a friend.

It is still working as of today, 11/29 just did an install for a co-worker.

1 hour ago, JakeB said:

After the Anniversary update your Digital Entitlement is linked to your MS account that will make adding a new HD alot easier. 

How does it make it easier? If I dont use a Microsoft account this does me no good. Again, the license is linked to your hardware ID, you don't need a microsoft account. Pop in a new drive, install Windows 10 and it will automatically activate when it has internet access. I dont see how people find this difficult.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...