(mac) transparent windows?

:ninja: A way to do it all the time? then I could 'Work Through' tasks in the background...like watch a qt movie on the desktop and continue working in the finder but being able to see thru the windows? :ninja:

Does this slow down the system like the apps that make transparent windows in Windows?

It all depends on the speed and memory of your Graphics Card, but even on a 32MB card this would be quite workable with a few windows open, but a little too distracting for me :)

For instace this picture has a large Qucktime Movie playing under a transparent terminal at full speed with no slowdown :cool: and i've only got a GeForce2 MX

post-60-1074008328.jpg

That's cool! I have a Windows XP Professional (Athlon 64, ATI Radeon 9600 with 256MB of memory) and the computer still seems a little slower with transparent windows. I'm hoping that will be built into the next version ("Longhorn") without having 3rd party apps!

Yeah it will, Longhorn has ripped of the QuartzExtreme Desktop Composite,

Yeah just don't tell Paul Thurott that. ;) We would not want to shatter his so called "reality". :p

Ain't that for real. I like Paul's site because it's very informational, but he didn't need to get so mad about what he did. I agree with him that Mac OS X doesn't hold users' hands to get through the OS and I agree that with people who don't know that much, the constant hand holding isn't a bad thing.

For instace this picture has a large Qucktime Movie playing under a transparent terminal at full speed with no slowdown :cool: and i've only got a GeForce2 MX

Uhhh, you are aware that Terminal can do transparency all by itself, without a third party utility, right? Heck, even on my 400Mhz G3 PowerBook it doesn't slow down anything by setting it to partially transparent.

It all depends on the speed and memory of your Graphics Card, but even on a 32MB card this would be quite workable with a few windows open, but a little too distracting for me :)

so how can i make it transparent like in the screenshot? just by using WindowShadeX?

I've heard of TransLucy. How is it compared with WSX? :blink:

so how can i make it transparent like in the screenshot? just by using WindowShadeX?

I've heard of TransLucy. How is it compared with WSX?:blink:k:

There's actually a setting for this in Terminal's preferences. Go to the Terminal menu, Window Settings, Color. It's at the bottom.

Does this slow down the system like the apps that make transparent windows in Windows?

Nope, not at all :p

I really do watch movies behind windows and it works perfectly :p

This is where you can really see how good OS X is, or how bad windows is....

Nope, not at all :p

I really do watch movies behind windows and it works perfectly :p

This is where you can really see how good OS X is, or how bad windows is....

yeah. this week is my first time realizing why people always say 'once you use a mac, you wouldn't wanna use pc every again!' :D

I've heard of TransLucy. How is it compared with WSX?:blink:k:

Well, Terminal has the transparency preference built in. Some other programs do too. For all other windows, WindowShade X is the way to go.

:ninja: I will never install an APE app again. Every time I do, the aped file causes the Finder in 10.3.2 to take 87-98 percent of my CPU. The only way to fix this is to boot in verbose mode and trash all files related to APE. I hate you, Unsanity. I WAS going to buy SS; not anymore. :ninja:

:ninja: I will never install an APE app again. Every time I do, the aped file causes the Finder in 10.3.2 to take 87-98 percent of my CPU. The only way to fix this is to boot in verbose mode and trash all files related to APE. I hate you, Unsanity. I WAS going to buy SS; not anymore. :ninja:

lol

i thought people had no problem using them? :D

Interesting situation, mrelusive. Have you tried contacting Unsanity about this? Slava is a pretty approachable guy and may have a pretty in-depth solution. Building something like APE isn't exactly child's play. It involves a pretty low-level understanding of the Mac OS X subsystem. There's bound to be issues.