Hello, I'm a recovering Linux zealot

I started writing my life story about my repeated failed conversions to Linux until I realized that few would want to read it, so I'll keep it brief: I once believed that Linux would take over the desktop. I listened to too many people on various Linux forums and sub-reddits. I believed that its "technical superiority" (of which can be very hotly debated in many areas) would be worth the pain of conversion. But eventually I realized that, for MY particular situation, there was no practical benefit to switching at this point. Windows (yes, even Windows 10) did everything that I needed and more, very nicely and efficiently, without the problems that Linux folks were continually prattling on and on about. And the LIES, oh the lies that people in the Linux community say about Windows. It just... got to me in the end. I actually hated being part of such a toxic community at times.

I still like Linux mind you, but I leverage it for its strengths in embedded devices and servers, but no longer feel any compulsion to bother with it on the desktop.

I guess that makes me one of those odd people - the person who went from Linux TO Windows, not the other way around. :)

Welcome to Neowin. Enjoy your stay.

I'm also a former Linux on the desktop user who switched back to Windows. To Windows 2000 to be precise, back when it was released.

Welcome to Neowin!

I've always said use the operating system that suits your needs best.

I personally use Windows 10 as on my desktop PC, however think Linux is great for servers and single purpose devices. I then have OSX on my laptop just to mix things up a bit more!

Use whatever works best for you, no OS is perfect, however each have strengths in different areas depending on your usage scenario.

2 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Use whatever works best for you, no OS is perfect, however each have strengths in different areas depending on your usage scenario.

Yeah, that's pretty much what made be decide to stop my crusade to switch.

I just seem to be susceptible to becoming influenced by certain... passionate, shall we say, users on various forums who mention the benefits of Linux. And they say it so convincingly! I'm sure it's great for some, but it just never clicked for me and never gave me enough benefits over Windows. But even worse, if I liked Windows and voluntarily wanted to use it, that made me a shill, or an idiot, or some dummy who wasn't worth thinking about. As if using Linux meant you were "enlightened" and part of some elite group. Being part of a minority group doesn't automatically make you elite though.

Welcome!

I'm very much also influenced by other people and their idea of the seemingly best OS - so I switch to Windows 10 and then sleep on it - only to reformat back to macOS.

Now I've learned that people are indeed different. And so am I. What I fell in love with the first time is what I should use. I could never love another OS. 

Welcome to neowin, 

Well you learn a lesson at least, I guess its a "soft way" not a hard way, 

I am also a Windows user, because linux can't run my games, but Linux rules all my Servers.

41 minutes ago, allan.nyholm said:

Welcome!

I'm very much also influenced by other people and their idea of the seemingly best OS - so I switch to Windows 10 and then sleep on it - only to reformat back to macOS.

Now I've learned that people are indeed different. And so am I. What I fell in love with the first time is what I should use. I could never love another OS. 

Unlike the OP and this person who is influenced by other people and their ideas, (that must be how Chrome became so popular also) I know how to make my own decisions based on use of each OS and have decided that Linux is by far equal to Windows in every way imaginable, thus, have wiped 6 out of 8 computers I maintain to Linux.

How ever, I do not even remotely try to influence what OS any one wants to use and could care less.

Good luck and enjoy your use of Windows! :)

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Any need to be quite so condescending?

Not particularly, but it's amazing how many people simply follow what others say just because they said so, which is sort of what this topic is about! Unfortunately, that's about the way the whole world seems to move.

I use Windows 2012R2  Server running Hyper-V.
I am hosting a few Linux VM's that host game servers etc...

I Play some games. but these games run like #@$@#% on Linux..
Linux is Awsome But to me its a Tool. and i use the Best tool for the Job.

6 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Unlike the OP and this person who is influenced by other people and their ideas, (that must be how Chrome became so popular also) I know how to make my own decisions based on use of each OS and have decided that Linux is by far equal to Windows in every way imaginable, thus, have wiped 6 out of 8 computers I maintain to Linux.

How ever, I do not even remotely try to influence what OS any one wants to use and could care less.

Good luck and enjoy your use of Windows! :)

obviously, you are right and could care less.

• Like 1

Cool you are using what works best for you but you don't sound like a Linux zealot but just someone who tried to switch to Linux on the desktop and it didn't work out.

Who said Linux is going to take over the desktop? I know a lot Linux fanboys will argue Linux is a better desktop option but who seriously thinks it will unseat Windows?

Personally, I prefer Linux on my Raspberry Pi server, my VM use to play around with coding, and my secondary PC which is a laptop but... Windows has always been my OS for my main desktop box. Will it always be? I can't say for sure as Microsoft has been working overtime the last couple of years trying to get me to switch full time to Linux.

The drive to turn Windows on the desktop to being a over sized mobile device is killing me. The people who tried to push the Modern UI and cripple the desktop with Windows 8 should have been yanked out of their Redmond offices and publicly hanged. My latest beef is Windows updates... Why can't a grown adult who uses the "professional" version of Windows be allowed to control ######## updates on their own damn PC? Cumulative updates is also just plain stupid. What happened to how Windows XP used to work where there were individual updates but once in a while a service pack was released?

In the end... Yes, use what works best for you.

Edited by oldtimefighter

I'm one of those oxymorons, or some would say just a moron! My laptop dual boots with Windows 10 but I keep the use to an absolute minimum, basically iTunes. The rest of the time I escape to Ubuntu which for me is lightning fast and reliable too. Neither or which are commonplace on Windows 10, on my laptop at least.

That said the ultimate phone is my Lumia 950, I love it. It does what I want and does it well. Lightning fast! Siri is still in pre-school compared with Cortana and I'm really happy with WIndows Phone 10. As for my laptop, I have Microsoft's online office running on Opera so I'm happy.

But yes, use what works best for you :-)

Damn it, get over to the glorious Linux OS again :-P
Nah, use what works best for you (like everyone else already said :-P ). I dual boot, but am on Linux over 90 % of the time.

Just wanted to comment briefly on the toxicity of the Linux community, while parts of the community definitely are toxic, there are plenty of spaces to hang out where people behave nice and are polite to each other as well. I myself is a huge proponent of IRC, there is usually a helpful community on an IRC channel willing to help with you whatever you need, though sometimes the channels are so small that actually catching someone there can take some time.

On 11/28/2016 at 7:57 PM, oldtimefighter said:

The drive to turn Windows on the desktop to being a over sized mobile device is killing me. The people who tried to push the Modern UI and cripple the desktop with Windows 8 should have been yanked out of their Redmond offices and publicly hanged. My latest beef is Windows updates... Why can't a grown adult who uses the "professional" version of Windows be allowed to control ######## updates on their own damn PC? Cumulative updates is also just plain stupid. What happened to how Windows XP used to work where there were individual updates but once in a while a service pack was released?

The zealots who spread the FUD that modern UI is some kind of mobile interface and mobile app system needs to be yanked out of whatever office and internet connection they have for all the confusion and misinformation they spread. 

As for updates, there's a very good read on why adults can't be trusted with the responsibility of updating their computers. the answer is that such a large percentage, maybe even majority, of adult users don't update, and even actively avoid updates, resulting in non secure machines and large botnets for DDoS and for spreading malicious software and viruses . it's a consumer OS. there's zero reason for a regular consumer, i.e. not a enterprise to not do security updates. 

what happened to how windows XP worked ? botnets, massive amounts of botnets, and the only reason XP didn't auto update was because the infrastructure to do it wasn't there at the time. it was primarily an offline OS with online capability.  it was an OS for a different age. 

27 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

The zealots who spread the FUD that modern UI is some kind of mobile interface and mobile app system needs to be yanked out of whatever office and internet connection they have for all the confusion and misinformation they spread. 

As for updates, there's a very good read on why adults can't be trusted with the responsibility of updating their computers. the answer is that such a large percentage, maybe even majority, of adult users don't update, and even actively avoid updates, resulting in non secure machines and large botnets for DDoS and for spreading malicious software and viruses . it's a consumer OS. there's zero reason for a regular consumer, i.e. not a enterprise to not do security updates. 

what happened to how windows XP worked ? botnets, massive amounts of botnets, and the only reason XP didn't auto update was because the infrastructure to do it wasn't there at the time. it was primarily an offline OS with online capability.  it was an OS for a different age. 

The modern UI was a piece of crap on a desktop PC. Almost no one liked it NOT because of FUD but because it didn't measure up to the previous Windows UI for the desktop. Period. End of story.

I don't think most people can be trusted to wipe their own ass so guess what? A big hairy guy is going to be in charge of wiping your ass from now on HawkMan. I have no problem with the update system on Windows 10 Home. I am talking about a product called "professional" that I paid money for and went out of my way to install on my PC. That's NOT a product meant for "average" user.  It's OK if you don't trust YOUR technical skills to mange your own box that's why there is a "home" product.

Ummmm Even a fully updated XP system at the time was NOT secure for the "average" user so your point is irrelevant.

Hey, I don't mind beating you down in these discussions but I wouldn't ever try to tell you how to do superhero business.

7 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

The modern UI was a piece of crap on a desktop PC. Almost no one liked it NOT because of FUD but because it didn't measure up to the previous Windows UI for the desktop. Period. End of story.

I don't think most people can be trusted to wipe their own ass so guess what? A big hairy guy is going to be in charge of wiping your ass from now on HawkMan. I have no problem with the update system on Windows 10 Home. I am talking about a product called "professional" that I paid money for and went out of my way to install on my PC. That's NOT a product meant for "average" user.  It's OK if you don't trust YOUR technical skills to mange your own box that's why there is a "home" product.

Ummmm Even a fully updated XP system at the time was NOT secure for the "average" user so your point is irrelevant.

Hey, I don't mind beating you down in these discussions but I wouldn't ever try to tell you how to do superhero business.

Windows 10 still uses modern UI. you say it was a piece of crap because you're confusing what Modern UI(Metro at the time) was compared to what it actually was. 

wiping my ass or not doesn't affect the availability of major important web services across the globe. and actually, whether you think so or not, you are still an "average" home users, unless you're on a secured enterprise computer managed by IT, you are. 

and no that was my point, maybe you should learn to read ? 

also no named from the superhero, didn't even know of him when I made my nae back on Westwood online, before there even was much internet and i was the one and only HawkMan online.