Wifi and powerline

Hi all, I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 upstairs in my bedroom and a downstairs lounge NETGEAR EX6150 WiFi Range Extender – AC 1200, Dual Band.

In our household an old victorian times, thick walls (family of six) there is:

Wireless

• 3 iPads, 4 Mobiles phones
  • 3 computers (2 Windows 10 + iMac)
  • 2 Android boxes
  • HP Evny 5640 seires

Wired

• PS4
  • Virgin Media Box
  • Android box
  • Synology NAS

Now recently the wifi of the extender keeps dropping out, which means have to reboot it every roughly 45mins. Parents are on my back about the wifi issue they always too far away from the router so that not an issue and a sister who complain about the speed of her android box. I tested my Girlfriends power lines at my home yesterday for the android box and the speed improved.

I have started suggestion buying this TP-Link TL-PA4010P KIT V2.20 AV600 600 Mbps Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit, Pack of 2 for the Android boxes in 2 rooms which is a power outlet beside them of course. I still have no idea how to improve the Wifi for the iPads thinking of getting TP-link Wifi extender of use my exist Netgear extender and act that as an access point with a single power line next to it?

What do you suggest? Budget it limited to £100.

Regards

Raiders

Oh and must be discreet as possible

First piece of advice, stay away from tplink

they're crap, I have a similar set up in my house, but went the extra mile and ran a cascaded wired setup

Some reading material, it may not be relevant you your set up at all, but there's some good tips there from trusted members on this site

The tplink I bought, I threw out a week later, as it was total garbage, and went back to my ageing e4200

I would consider looking for devices by unifi, but that's because they were recommended to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

First piece of advice, stay away from tplink

they're crap, I have a similar set up in my house, but went the extra mile and ran a cascaded wired setup

Some reading material, it may not be relevant you your set up at all, but there's some good tips there from trusted members on this site

The tplink I bought, I threw out a week later, as it was total garbage, and went back to my ageing e4200

I would consider looking for devices by unifi, but that's because they were recommended to me

I use TPlink powerline adapters for the last several years at home without issue (currently running 3 pairs in same premises), and have used TPlink PoE injectors professionally before. Ive never used their routers though, im an Asus router man personally.

to OP use something like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA8010P-KIT-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B00UTG32TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480337356&sr=8-1&keywords=1200+av+homeplug

connect one next to router, and second one at the secondary routers location and bridge the routers.

more reliable than any wireless wifi exterder imo.

40 minutes ago, Mando said:

I use TPlink powerline adapters for the last several years at home without issue (currently running 3 pairs in same premises), and have used TPlink PoE injectors professionally before. 

to OP use something like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA8010P-KIT-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B00UTG32TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480337356&sr=8-1&keywords=1200+av+homeplug

connect one next to router, and second one at the secondary routers location and bridge the routers.

more reliable than any wireless wifi exterder imo.

What is the difference between the ones you posted and the ones i posted (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G5Q9E0O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

42 minutes ago, Mando said:

second one at the secondary routers location and bridge the routers.

Bridge the routers??  You mean setup old wifi routers as just AP??

As to tplink being good or bad, can not say for sure.  All companies can make good products or bad products.  I have not tried their powerline stuff..  But I have in the past used their wifi routers, didn't use their software put 3rd party on them in like 5 minutes.  But the hardware worked fine.  I just recently picked up some of their smartplugs.. HS110, can tell you those are working exactly as they should.. Pretty freaking slick turn my xmas lights on/off with my phone ;)

But yes I would go the powerline adapter route if you can run wire.. Extenders are and always will be CRAP!!  They are /2 out of the box for starters..

Typical setup wold be like this..

powerline.png

Where you use a real AP connected to the other powerline adapter, or use an old wifi router as AP, by giving it a lan IP on your network, turning off its dhcp server and connecting it to the powerline adapter via a LAN port on the old router.

Another option would be to use wireless uplink if you can not run a wire with a real AP that supports using its other band for the uplink..  So with say unifi you can do this.

wifiupdifferentband.png

What this does is use the band your not using for the "wire" to connect your AP.  2.4 has longer range which is why that would normally be used.  Then the AP at the far end supplies 5ghz band to the client there.  This allow for no /2 of the bandwidth because your not repeating the connections over the same wifi network.

43 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Bridge the routers??  You mean setup old wifi routers as just AP??

As to tplink being good or bad, can not say for sure.  All companies can make good products or bad products.  I have not tried their powerline stuff..  But I have in the past used their wifi routers, didn't use their software put 3rd party on them in like 5 minutes.  But the hardware worked fine.  I just recently picked up some of their smartplugs.. HS110, can tell you those are working exactly as they should.. Pretty freaking slick turn my xmas lights on/off with my phone ;)

But yes I would go the powerline adapter route if you can run wire.. Extenders are and always will be CRAP!!  They are /2 out of the box for starters..

Typical setup wold be like this..

powerline.png

Where you use a real AP connected to the other powerline adapter, or use an old wifi router as AP, by giving it a lan IP on your network, turning off its dhcp server and connecting it to the powerline adapter via a LAN port on the old router.

I would need 3 or 4 adaptors to I go down this route 1 for which is close to my router then other end for the android box and place my old Netgear RangeMax WNDR3300 router to use as an AP for downstairs

For streaming I moved to powerline instead of wifi and found it improved streaming considerably. I have three TP link1200, the app shows a connection at between 300 and 400Mbps which is plenty for what I need and much much faster than anything I could get via WIFI.

well then get 3 or 4 of them or 5 or 6 of them, etc..

Or the best solution is to run wires where you need a network connection ;)