Suspect Identified in Ohio State [University] Attack as Abdul Razaq Ali Artan

A 2014 Somali refugee, via Pakistan.

More ammo for slamming the door.

NBC News....

Suspect Identified in Ohio State Attack as Abdul Razaq Ali Artan

An Ohio State University student plowed a car into a campus crowd, then jumped out and started stabbing people with a butcher knife before being shot dead by police Monday morning, officials said.

Ten people were taken to hospitals after the ambush, but none of the injuries were considered life-threatening. The incident was initially reported as an "active shooter" situation, but the suspect did not shoot anyone. [NOTE: reports now say 11]

A police officer was on the scene within a minute and killed the assailant, likely saving lives, university officials said. "He engaged the suspect and eliminated the threat," OSU Police Chief Craig Stone said.

Law enforcement officials told NBC News the suspect's name is Abdul Razaq Ali Artan, an 18-year-old student at the university. He was a Somali refugee who left his homeland with his family in 2007, lived in Pakistan and then came to the United States in 2014 as a legal permanent resident of the United States, officials said.

The motive was unknown, although law enforcement sources said Artan posted a rant on social media prior to the incident. Officials said the attack was clearly deliberate and may have been planned in advance.

"This was done on purpose," Stone said.

Officials said Artan was in the car by himself, but investigators are trying to determine if anyone else was involved in the planning.

A campus lockdown was lifted about 11:30 a.m., some 90 minutes after the violence unfolded on the Columbus, Ohio, campus, where 60,000 students are enrolled.

"This car just swerved and ran into a whole group of people," said Nicole Kreinbrink, who was walking down the street when she saw the car hit people who had evacuated an academic building during a fire alarm.

"All these people were running and screaming and yelling," she added.

Jacob Bowers, an OSU sophomore, was sitting on a bench about 100 feet away when he noticed people running.

"Then I heard someone yell, 'He's got a knife.' And I saw a guy with a big-ass knife just chasing people around. When I saw that, I grabbed all my stuff and started running," Bowers said.

Bowers said he looked back to see a police officer on the scene. The officer yelled to the suspect, "Drop it and get down or I'll shoot," and then fired on the suspect, Bowers said.

"The man was going insane," he said.

Another student told NBC News he heard gunfire from his dorm room.

"I heard gunshots from my dorm, probably six or seven," said Stephen Yunker, 18, a freshman who lives two blocks from Watts Hall, where the incident occurred.

He said he and his roommate looked at each other, heard sirens about five seconds later, and then looked out the window.

"We saw fire trucks, couple of cars, and a body laying on the ground," he said.

OSU Police identified the officer who took down Artan as Alan Harujko, who has been on the force for two years.
>

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-California), senior Democrat House Intelligence Committee; "bears all of the hallmarks of a terror attack carried out by someone who may have been self-radicalized."

We'll see about the self-radicalized - the terrorism alert status has been elevated all weekend, and apparently the US warned Europe to be on guard. 

Sounds like he reacted real quick. Good on him.

All police officers in Ohio, including university police officers, are trained and certified to the same standards, as overseen by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission. As such, university police officers have the same authority to carry weapons and make arrests.

Ohio State University Police Department

53 sworn officers, 9 dispatchers, and 26 support personne

Special Response Team (SRT/SWAT)

Two Canine Units

Patrol and Investigations Units

Bicycle Patrol

CALEA accredited

http://nbc4i.com/2016/11/28/active-shooter-reported-at-osu-campus/

>

Ohio State Police Chief Craig Stone said that the assailant deliberately drove over a curb outside a classroom building, got out of the vehicle and began to cut people in a crowd with a butcher knife.

osu_alan_horujko-ab45x1w1ygfnsii8bn2_t46

OSU Officer Alan Horujko (Courtesy: OSU Police)

OSU police officer Alan Horujko, who was nearby because of a gas leak, arrived on the scene within a minute of the attack beginning and shot and killed the driver.

"A police officer was on the scene within a minute and killed the assailant. He engaged the suspect and eliminated the threat," Stone said.

Officer Horujko is a Cincinnati native who joined the OSU Police Department in January of 2015.

He graduated from The Ohio State University in 2012 with a bachelors degree in security and intelligence. During his time as a student, he served as a Student Safety Service officer between 2010 and 2012.

>

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, DocM said:

Sounds like he reacted real quick. Good on him.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/11/28/active-shooter-reported-at-osu-campus/

He'll be hung in public for "shooting and killing an innocent black person who could have just been arrested".:woot:

Liberals. Get killed by Muslim terrorist all the time, too stupid to identify the real problem.

22 hours ago, DocM said:

We have a couple incidents so a whole people/religion should be barred? #facepalm

I am 1000x more likely to get killed by an American citizen than a "terrorist".

18 hours ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

He'll be hung in public for "shooting and killing an innocent black person who could have just been arrested".:woot:

Liberals. Get killed by Muslim terrorist all the time, too stupid to identify the real problem.

Liberals get killed by Muslim terrorists all the time? What country do you live in?

Yes, he could have just been arrested! Hell, if the students weren't chicken ###### they could have rushed the attacker and took him down. I am confident could have disarmed him all by myself and beaten him down before law enforcement showed up. A shame it was misreported as a active shooter as only a couple of patrol cars and a taser was needed.

31 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Liberals heads are exploding right now, the attacker was a muslim and he didn't use a gun..

Thank God he didn't use a gun so no one was killed.

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

We have a couple incidents so a whole people/religion should be barred? #facepalm

I am 1000x more likely to get killed by American citizen than a "terrorist".

Liberals get killed by Muslim terrorists all the time? What country do you live in?

Yes, he could have just been arrested! Hell, if the students weren't chicken ###### they could have rushed the attacker and took him down. I am confident could have disarmed him all by myself and beaten him down before law enforcement showed up. A shame it was misreported as a active shooter as only a couple of patrol cars and a taser was needed.

Thank God he didn't use a gun so no one was killed.

You mean thankfully no one died, knives are deadly, or didn't you know that. I mean you seem to lessen the fact that people got hurt here, you had to add in the part about a gun, sorry that doesn't lessen the fact that people could of died by the stab and slash wounds. 

Just now, KingCracker said:

You mean thankfully no one died, knives are deadly, or didn't you know that. 

Yes, a knife can be deadly but you are not comparing it to a gun? Right? LOL

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Yes, a knife can be deadly but you are not comparing it to a gun? Right? LOL

Nope. All I said was a gun wasn't used. You compared it. 

30 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Nope. All I said was a gun wasn't used. You compared it. 

So you admit your comment was pointless? Once again, thank God a gun wasn't used because it's almost certain there would be multiple deaths. Only idiots choose a knife over a gun to try to kill people...

Just now, oldtimefighter said:

So you admit your comment was pointless? Once again, thank God a gun wasn't used because it's almost certain their would be multiple deaths. Only idiots choose a knife over a gun to try to kill people...

Just like your comments to begin with ;) 

4 hours ago, KingCracker said:

You mean thankfully no one died, knives are deadly, or didn't you know that. I mean you seem to lessen the fact that people got hurt here, you had to add in the part about a gun, sorry that doesn't lessen the fact that people could of died by the stab and slash wounds. 

And this was just a butcher's knife. Lord help the victims if/when one of these guys uses a machete or, worse, a kukri. 

• Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:24 PM, DocM said:

NBC News....

Where was this attitude when Seung-Hui Cho went on his killing spree. Why did you not call for all South Korean immigrants to be blocked ?

13 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

But yet when even worse attacks are carried out by South Korean immigrants there is no such call.

I for one am completely mystified by this, why it would take 1000 Jessica Fletcher's to solve this mystery :rolleyes:

Edited by TPreston
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mirumir said:

That's our guy with some heavy slavic balls.

Are Slavic men known for inflammation of the testicles (Orchitis) or something?

If the officer had a real pair he would have tasered the attacker and arrested him like these guys...

4221396001_4648352001001_4648308932001-vs.jpg

Edited by oldtimefighter

15 hours ago, KingCracker said:

Liberals heads are exploding right now, the attacker was a muslim and he didn't use a gun..

which is why nobody was killed

23 hours ago, KingCracker said:

Zombie window

9 hours ago, TPreston said:

Where was this attitude when Seung-Hui Cho went on his killing spree. Why did you not call for all South Korean immigrants to be blocked ?

Seung-Hui Cho was a mentally ill man who was allowed to get that far by campus political correctness - the VA Tech clinic should have reported him to the ATF NICS office so he couldn't legally purchase a firearm. Dumb.

Worse, he and his 32 victims were also victims of the deinstitutionalization wave of the late 1970's and 1980's which made it far to difficult to do involuntary committments. Another "progressive" policy gone way wrong we store still paying for - most of today's spree shooters fall into the same box as Seung-Hui Cho. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John. said:

Ah, the standard Neowin back and forth, just before a thread gets locked.

Yep, when everything here has become about agendas and not the stories/facts it will always end like this.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:33 AM, TPreston said:

But yet when even worse attacks are carried out by South Korean immigrants there is no such call.

I for one am completely mystified by this, why it would take 1000 Jessica Fletcher's to solve this mystery :rolleyes:

Because.... the majority of mass killings this past two years done in the US was not done by South Koreans, but MUSLIMS.

It's not rocket science, but of course liberalism is a mental disease and they are unable to think for themselves.

Oh, and all the Cops being killed by BLM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Because.... the majority of mass killings this past two years done in the US was not done by South Koreans, but MUSLIMS.

It's not rocket science, but of course liberalism is a mental disease and they are unable to think for themselves.

Oh, and all the Cops being killed by BLM.

i'm more conservative but i find it really funny that people go ahead and make rash conclusions based on their own observations and/or manipulated statistics. I'd say both sides have a dose of that. I mean you for one already proved that your not thinking for yourself but more along the lines of thinking by yourself.

and instead of being so narrow about your two year time frame, you should really take a larger sample to see the overall religions involved in mass murder. this is merely just a current trend.