Router/modem for TWC

I'm a TWC/spectrum customer, what would be a good router/modem to use for me ? No cheap junk. lol

Thanks for helping me out :)

I personally am using a Netgear CM400 and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with TWC (now Spectrum). The fastest internet they offer in my area is 50 Mbit down and 5Mbit up so the 340 Mbit the CM400 modem offers is more than enough for me. Their CM600 offers 960 Mbit if you're in a faster market. They're both DOCSIS 3.0 modems, the difference is in how many downstream and upstream channels the differing models have.

As for the Router, I am using the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, have had it for a few years, pretty much since it came out. It works really well, I may eventually get the R8000 or a different model at some point.

Links (Amazon):

CM400: http://a.co/0hHLrj5

R7000: http://a.co/bU9Yqk3

I use a modem, Artis Surfboard SB6121. Just check on TCW's website for allowed modem/routers.

I use a separate router to many hardwired, and wireless devices.

When you buy it, just go to a retail store, and give them the MAC number, and you should be alright. I did that a couple months ago, easy to do.

Edited by Mindovermaster

16 minutes ago, Squirrelington said:

I personally am using a Netgear CM400 and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with TWC (now Spectrum). The fastest internet they offer in my area is 50 Mbit down and 5Mbit up so the 340 Mbit the CM400 modem offers is more than enough for me. Their CM600 offers 960 Mbit if you're in a faster market. They're both DOCSIS 3.0 modems, the difference is in how many downstream and upstream channels the differing models have.

As for the Router, I am using the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk, have had it for a few years, pretty much since it came out. It works really well, I may eventually get the R8000 or a different model at some point.

Links (Amazon):

CM400: http://a.co/0hHLrj5

R7000: http://a.co/bU9Yqk3

The big thing (in terms of cable modems in the US) is DOCSIS 3.0 (or higher) certification.  In addition to the Netgear CM400, there is a whole series of such cable modems from ARRIS Interactive; in fact, TWO series - the SB series and the SBG series.  The SBG series can also act as eMTA (digital voice) modems in the same package; the SB series lacks this functionality - either can work in tandem with a router.  ARRIS' alternative to the CM600 is the SB-6190 (for those markets where 960 Mbit is offered), or the SB-6183 for "normal" markets - both are DOCSIS 3.0-certified.  While I have a different cable provider (Comcast XFINITY), that's the nice thing about DOCSIS - it is an industry STANDARD (the direct equivalent in the EU is EuroDOCSIS).  While Comcast's Gigabit Pro is not in the DC exurbs yet, the question is not IS it coming, but when; I have Comcast's current third-slowest cable modem plan (Performance Pro) seeing 10 MB per second (that is ten megabytes per second) is mostly pretty darn routine on P2P or Steam/Origin/uPlay.

16 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I use a modem, Artis Surfboard SB6121. Just check on TCW's website for allowed modem/routers.

I use a separate router to many hardwired, and wireless devices.

When you buy it, just go to a retail store, and give them the MAC number, and you should be alright. I did that a couple weeks ago, easy to do.

That was similar to what I did with my ARRIS SB-6183 (also connected to a Netgear router - the WNDR3700v4). It took less than an hour (and that was because of a PEBKAC on the cable company's end).

18 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

That was similar to what I did with my ARRIS SB-6183 (also connected to a Netgear router - the WNDR3700v4). It took less than an hour (and that was because of a PEBKAC on the cable company's end).

Yeah, our modem worked fine just as we got home from TCW retail store.

Hello,

If you're going with an ARRIS (formerly Motorola) SURFboard as has been previously suggested:

• SB6141 for connection up to 343Mbps
  • SB6183 for connection up to 686Mbps
  • SB6190 for connection up to 1,400Mbps

I'm not a huge fan of devices which combine the cable modem with the residential gateway broadband router and  Wi-Fi access point.

There are plenty of combo Wi-Fi access points and router devices, though.  I've used Belkin, Buffalo Technology, D-Link, Linksys (now owned by Belkin) and Securifi, and found them to be about the same in terms of reliability.  I have not used ASUS, TP-Link or TRENDnet Wi-Fi routers, but I've used other wireless gear from them and they worked fine.

Another possibility might be to look at separate router and Wi-Fi access points from companies like MikroTik and Ubiquiti .  Expect to spend some time learning how to configure and manage them, though.

If there are specific features or requirements you have, knowing those might allow your fellow Neowinians to make more granular suggestions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1 hour ago, goretsky said:

I'm not a huge fan of devices which combine the cable modem with the residential gateway broadband router and  Wi-Fi access point.

Yeah agree with you there..  Just give me the connection.. I will use my own router and for decent wifi you do need more than just the 1 spot your router supports.  Unless you living in some tiny studio or something.

What seed are you buying from your ISP??

When I signed up I went with the basic internet plan they had which measures about 17-18Mbps download and 1 in upload. I will upgrade cause the net seems to be pretty slow at times. I have connected several security cameras on the wifi as well as alarms and thermostats etc + computers, phones and laptops, but we are only a family with two adults and one kid. Wife blames me for the slow internet lol.

Edited by ampersand

Don't use the SBG6580. It's the one my house currently has (I'm leasing a house with several friends and it's the modem/router combo we lease from TWC). It has basically no advanced control options, cannot maintain a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi connection at the same time, and has poor signal strength. I got a Netgear R6700 WiFi router from a Cyber-Monday sale and it is scheduled to arrive today. The R6700 has the same internal chipset as the R7000, but with one less USB port and fewer software features (using an open-source router firmware can offer better features I've been told). And at less than $70 on Cyber Monday, it was a pretty good deal.

• Like 2