PC is broken. Cannot boot to hard drive. Startup sequence also altered.

I've run into this where the boot loader is pooched. No matter how hard I tried to repair it, every command in the book didn't work. Finally, I had to get creative, so do this ...

Take the hard drive that actually boots and clone it to a spare drive.  (assuming it's the same version of windows of the one that won't boot, if it's not, clean install the version of windows which is on the drive that won't boot .. onto a spare drive, then continue with the instructions)

Then delete everything off the spare cloned drive  (leave hidden files hidden on the root of C. ) ... don't format it... just do a control + A (select all)  and press shift + delete. (This bypasses the recycle bin) .. just make sure you are doing this to the spare drive and not one that has info you care about on it.

Then copy everything that's on the drive that won't boot to this spare empty drive. Then try booting off that spare drive, see if it boots. If it doesn't, this time the startup repair should fix it to where it will boot. Had this work a few times.

If it actually boots, now clone it from that drive back onto the drive that wouldn't boot before.