Nigel Farage on Time's person of year shortlist

Nigel Farage on Time's person of year shortlist

Nigel Farage has been shortlisted for the title of Time magazine's person of the year, along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and singer Beyonce.

The former UKIP leader is one of 11 contenders named by the US publication, which cites his role in helping bring about Brexit.

Others on its list include US President-elect Donald Trump and his defeated opponent Hillary Clinton.

Time announces the winner of the accolade next Wednesday.

Source and more

I was angered at first, but Time do state:

Person of the Year (called Man of the Year until 1999[1]) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine, Time, that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year".

Unfortunately, due to that definition I think it will be between him, Trump, Hillary or Putin. You can read the shortlist here.

Every year people get angered by Time's shortlist for Person of the Year mainly because it doesn't fit with their own view of the world. It's not a shortlist for the greatest person of the year but for the person who has had most influence in the world regardless of whether you think it was a good or bad influence hence Hitler being shortlisted in 1939.

• Like 1

Anyone is free to make their own list of their most notable persons of the year.

The Time magazine's list just happens to be one of the most popular ones.

You might as well give it to Arron Banks then as he funded the puppets. Farage was just a mouthpiece to the money of Mr Banks who got what he wanted and now has dropped UKIP like a hot potato.

Vladimir Putin

The Russian president made headlines this year with his country’s intervention in Syria and evidence showing that Russian operatives were responsible for the hack of Democratic National Committee servers.

No evidence or citation to such is ever presented as per usual.

16 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Now if this were a list of the most douchéy of douchébags, then I could agree with the list, but otherwise...

Isn't it the person who has most influenced the world?  I'd say it's right he was shortlisted since it was him who pretty much took the UK out of the EU, and perhaps started it's demise.  I'm not sure if that's enough to win, but I do believe it's enough for a nomination at least.

19 minutes ago, glen8 said:

Isn't it the person who has most influenced the world?  I'd say it's right he was shortlisted since it was him who pretty much took the UK out of the EU, and perhaps started it's demise.  I'm not sure if that's enough to win, but I do believe it's enough for a nomination at least.

That is the criteria for Time's "Person of the Year", and like him or loathe him, Farage has certainly been that.  More than even Donald Trump, he is the face of anti-globalism (which is largely why liberals and leftists loathe him).  From BRExit, to Donald Trump surprise, to the recent Italian referendum, Farage is what they all have in common.

18 hours ago, Depicus said:

You might as well give it to Arron Banks then as he funded the puppets. Farage was just a mouthpiece to the money of Mr Banks who got what he wanted and now has dropped UKIP like a hot potato.

It's basically nothing more than a "Who's name has been thrown around the most this year" - not "who influenced it".  Sure Banks has been influential but not overtly so, his puppets however...

• Like 2