• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vinyl album sales out-perform digital downloads for first time ever

Draconian Guppy    13,037

More money was spent on vinyl than album downloads last week for the first time ever, new figures have revealed.

The Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) said vinyl sales earned the record industry £2.4m in week 48 of 2016, while downloads took in £2.1m.

more sauce:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/vinyl-sales-digital-downloads-albums-record-store-day-a7458841.html

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,271

Does this not just go hand-in-hand with the assumption that digital consumers are now using subscription plans rather than discreet payments?

Also worth noting that the recent resurgence in vinyl sales (beyond DJ usage who never went away) is the whole "look at the lovely artwork, display these to your friends" type, who pay for the expensive repressings with heavier vinyl and ridiculously well printed sleeves - as such, they are paying above the odds and this isn't about music itself.

As a DJ, I have recently had some very unexpected people ask me to recommend some record decks, and when I suggest a low-end Technics (knowing their income) they suggest that what they want rather than a decent deck is one that "looks the part" :(

• Like 2

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
11 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Does this not just go hand-in-hand with the assumption that digital consumers are now using subscription plans rather than discreet payments?

Exactly. More people stream music that purchase it outright. Vinyl represents a small percentage of the music industry as a whole.

+Human.Online    8,271
1 minute ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

Exactly. More people stream music that purchase it outright. Vinyl represents a small percentage of the music industry as a whole.

That's my assumption, but I am not going to go look into it.  I have only anecdotal comments.

I used to work for the UK vinyl reseller HTFR, and watching the numbers drop was - well... We knew that redundancy was coming ;)

lol.JPG

Boo Berry    2,264

Personally, I quite like vinyl and have quite a collection going. Though I'm weary of most releases by newer bands these days as they typically use the same digital master as the CD (and hi-res downloads if available) instead of creating/using a master just for the vinyl.

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,271
2 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Personally, I quite like vinyl and have quite a collection going. Though I'm weary of most releases by newer bands these days as they typically use the same digital master as the CD (and hi-res downloads if available) instead of creating/using a master just for the vinyl.

Spot on.  There are many types of vinyl collectors, and I judge none of them harshly, but it's rarely about quality of music these days:

1) Vinyl is still easier to mix with for some, they prefer the tactile control

2) There are certainly those who argue that vinyl is a superior format for audio replication - I disagree but will suggest that this can still be the case when a better master is used for the vinyl pressing

3) Those who follow the trend without knowing anything about masters, weight of vinyl, repressings and so on

4) Those who just like the shiny sleeves and want to look a certain way

5) Those who understand what certain pressings are worth in good condition and are financially collecting

Draconian Guppy    13,037
1 hour ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Also worth noting that the recent resurgence in vinyl sales (beyond DJ usage who never went away) is the whole "look at the lovely artwork, display these to your friends" type, who pay for the expensive repressings with heavier vinyl and ridiculously well printed sleeves - as such, they are paying above the odds and this isn't about music itself.

As a DJ, I have recently had some very unexpected people ask me to recommend some record decks, and when I suggest a low-end Technics (knowing their income) they suggest that what they want rather than a decent deck is one that "looks the part" :(

+1 Didn't think of it that way, just saw the news and thought it was interesting. Goes to show how news outlets just publish click bait. Nonetheless, this could be an interesting write up, taking all the facts (hint neowin news reporters :p )

Edited by Draconian Guppy
  • Like 2

+Human.Online    8,271
8 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

+1 Didn't think of it that way, just saw the news and thought it was interesting. Goes to show how news outlets just publish click bait. Nonetheless, this could be an interesting write up, taking all the facts (hit neowin news reporters :p )

No doubt it's an interesting statistic.  It's sparked conversation!

• Like 1

Yogurth    2,213

While I love the records because of the size, more "intimate" relationship with the sleeve and sentimental value, this is where he list of advantages ends. Records degrade too fast...10 plays and You already lost resolution and gained noise. They are tiresome to maintain, expensive to listen and do not sound better than digital formats even when mixed properly. Usually only first ~2 tracks on a side will sound good the rest will not, since the spin progresses towards the center, or the end.

Why do we like the sound of it? Perhaps because it is not perfect, perhaps because some frequencies are cut off, since that is the nature of the media, making them sound or just perceiving them warmer, perhaps it is just a fad :)

compl3x    6,290
12 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

E Vinyl represents a small percentage of the music industry as a whole.

True dat. It is a niche hobby. Fun if you are into it; I have toyed with the thought of buying a few of my fav albums and a turntable but that might be a long time down the line.

Yogurth    2,213

This sums it rather nice..I loled on this, when I waw it this afternoon, badly :)

490002.jpg

• Like 1

cork1958    1,658
17 hours ago, compl3x said:

True dat. It is a niche hobby. Fun if you are into it; I have toyed with the thought of buying a few of my fav albums and a turntable but that might be a long time down the line.

Yeah, toyed with the idea of getting another turn table but never pulled the trigger. Hearing isn't what it used to be, for one thing, so can't even imagine it sounds better!!

Still have my 400+ albums from back in the day in a stereo rack though!! :)

starman3344    55

New news, VHS has just come back in