Faulty SSD?

I installed an Samsung 750 SSD in an acer 4810T laptop. It's given it a good boost as it is, but then when I ran a performance test it read as less than half the read/write speeds I'd expect. I then noticed it was labelled as being in a SATA 2. I was sure it was a SATA 3 in this machine. Now it's gone down to being labelled as being in a SATA 1.5, with performance tests that reflect that.

HWinfo, CrystalDiskInfo and  Samsungs Magician software say it's SATA 6Gb/s running at 1.5Gb/s.

Anything that would be causing this besides a faulty SSD?

If that is the one with the Core2Duo ... and the GS45 chipset ... it should be SATA 2.  I would ensure that the latest (or I guess due to the age) the last chipset drivers are installed.  I doubt it would be a "faulty" SSD giving you the undesirable speeds ... but instead the chipset/drivers (or some other Acer OEM quirk).

• Like 2

doesn't matter if the SSD is sata 3, your computer is SATA (1) aka 1.5Gb/s.

what ever drive you have SATA 3, SATA 5, or SATA 157, it will run at what ever the interface is in the PC.

8 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

doesn't matter if the SSD is sata 3, your computer is SATA (1) aka 1.5Gb/s.

what ever drive you have SATA 3, SATA 5, or SATA 157, it will run at what ever the interface is in the PC.

He knows that

7 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

He knows that

I don't think OP realize what he is calling a "faulty drive". It's his system's fault, not the SSD.

update the chipset drivers? Just a guess on the fly, but I'll bet it'll make a difference. SlimDrivers works pretty well. Give it a shot, nothing to lose, right?

15 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

If that is the one with the Core2Duo ... and the GS45 chipset ... it should be SATA 2.  I would ensure that the latest (or I guess due to the age) the last chipset drivers are installed.  I doubt it would be a "faulty" SSD giving you the undesirable speeds ... but instead the chipset/drivers (or some other Acer OEM quirk).

All the Intel GS45 chipsets came with Sata 2 and the ULV C2d is a single core 1.4ghz with HT iirc.

it could be a combination of single core clock speed, but id expect to see slightly higher R/Ws on sata 2 with a  Sata 3 SSD.

My X201 Lenovo is similar era, except its an i7 ULV (so really a dual core with HT at 2.67Ghz) and Sata 2.

with AS SSD Benchmark an old Vertex 3 SSD on my sata 2 chipset gets 

vertex.jpg

Compared to on SATA3 on a Z68 based chipset 

840.jpg

I've tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers, uninstalling drivers and a whole bunch of other things, but I can't get it to do anything more than SATA 1.5.

I am almost certain that when I initially checked it was at SATA 2. :wacko:

Is there like an option in BIOS to have it run at SATA II speeds? Or maybe a Windows option?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Is there like an option in BIOS to have it run at SATA II speeds? Or maybe a Windows option?

Not as far as I can see. There isn't much in the BIOS.

I wouldn't worry about it, real world it's the access time of SSD's that make them a lot quicker, not so much the transfer rate.

The bios should at least tell you what SATA controller you have, if it's not already see if you can set it to AHCI, just be aware, changing this, if possible, can stop windows booting forcing you to either repair or reinstall.

Edited by SIE

13 minutes ago, SIE said:

I wouldn't worry about it, real world it's the access time of SSD's that make them a lot quicker, not so much the transfer rate.

The bios should at least tell you what SATA controller you have, if it's not already see if you can set it to AHCI, just be aware, changing this, if possible, can stop windows booting forcing you to either repair or reinstall.

Q: does TRIM have anything to do with this?

i honestly dont remember, is there a SATA 1.5 standard? i thought it was just SATA, SATA2, SATA3. oh, now that i reread, it's 1.5Gb/s, not 1.5.

OP - not sure how to help you, but consider this. the slowest part of an SSD is still going to be small files and 4k stuff. SATA drives rarely exceed 50MB/s in benchmarks w/ small files. SATA1 will handle that just fine.

37 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It also improves performance. 

Yeah but only write speeds, and it's not that much of a boost considering the size of the cache on newer SSD's, if you turned trim of, I doubt you would see any performance loss real world, it would only be noticeable when writing a  lot of data that can't all fit in the cache.

Hello,

There is no SATA revision 1.5 spec.  It goes straight from revision 1.0, with a speed of 1.5Gb/s, to revision 2.0, with a speed of 3..0Gb/s.

Have you verified with Acer that the system actually supports SATA rev 2.0?  I have seen notebooks with SATA rev. 2.0 controllers that were limited to SATA rev 1.0 speeds by the manufacturer for data integrity reasons, like the ThinkPad T61.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky