CPU Temp 80+ /Corsair h115i extreme edition

Well i just built a custom pc and it was my first time. Everything is working fine and today i relaized that the cpu temps are 90c+. I made sure that the mount thing (the pump thing that connects to the cpu) is connect with the cpu correctly and yes it was. The sata cables was connected too. I thought it may be the sata cable (the one that supplies power to the pump) so i changed it with the one i was using for my ssd and still it didnt work. The fans r all working great and the light on the mount (corsair text) lits up too. I havent installed the backplate that comes with the cooler because it wasnt fitting there, the screws were too small. I used corsair link and it worked and the temperature it was showing me was 30c.

specs,

MSI GODLIKE GAMING CARBON 

i7 6850k

64gb rams - corsair led vengeance

corsair hx1000i power supply

corsair h115i aio liquid cooler

Correct me if I read this wrong... You were at 90C+, and now you are at 30C? What are you asking us?

You need the backplate. If the screws are too small, I'd call up Corsair and ask them for replacements. It needs a tight connection with the CPU.

So i removed the mount to replace the thermal paste but turns out the one on the mount havent even spread yet.. is it supposed to be like that or what?

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Correct me if I read this wrong... You were at 90C+, and now you are at 30C? What are you asking us?

You need the backplate. If the screws are too small, I'd call up Corsair and ask them for replacements. It needs a tight connection with the CPU.

No im at 90c+ but in the app of corsair it shows that the cpu is at 90c+ too but the there are other reading by the sensor in the pump which shows the readings of temperature which was 30c

Well if it did come with the paste it did not spread because it was not tight enough. My cooler came with various parts, are you sure that you are using the correct brackets as the screws should have been long enough.

I recently got a H75, and it came with pre-applied grease. Maybe you just have an earlier version that didn't come with that, or something...

The paste doesn't appear squished/spread.

I wouldn't say the paste needs reapplying, the unit just needs attaching to its backplate tighter, so contact with the CPU is better.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I recently got a H75, and it came with pre-applied grease. Maybe you just have an earlier version that didn't come with that, or something...

Well mine is about a year or so old. It came with paste in a plastic baggy type container but I used that Silver XXX Paste. Maybe they started applying it at the factory..In either  case it needs to be tighter .

• 2 weeks later...

yep , as other have said the heatsinks not on tight enough to spread the compound. 

With Intel sockets and the Corsairs you have to be 100% sure your attaching the assembly securely & the right way round, it only covers the entire chip when fitted in the right position. 90C is close to the chips thermal throttling limit id suspect so its not touching the cpu shim.