• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Legend of Zelda Link to the past and Super Mario World original cart sizes.

+warwagon    13,165

This is pretty worthless information but oh well.

As a kid I remember looking through Nintendo Power Magazine and seeing the Megabit size of each game. Some were 4 megs some were 32 and some even went higher than that.

Then just recently I was searching online and learned how big the games Legend of Zelda and Super Mario world actually were.  I don't know why but I was actually surprised.

Super Mario World - 4 Megabits

Legend of Zelda Link to the past - 8 Megabits.

• Like 1

+virtorio    3,131

As a completely useless comparison, the latest CoD update is 27 GB. 

Vandalsquad    515
8 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Random? Yes, but still neat to know. We sure have come a long way, seeing how we now have minimum requirements being 70gb for some games.

Halo 5 with all the multiplayer additions is nearing 100gb install size I think now..

8 hours ago, virtorio said:

As a completely useless comparison, the latest CoD update is 27 GB. 

What update was that? I just updated BlOps and Infinite both around 1.6gb each. Modern Warfare remastered coped a 9gb update but..

Doom just tried hitting me with a 29gb update.. Games being deleted tomorrow, Since Sony can't manage free hdd space and always needs so much more X to be downloaded and installed and I'm sick of deleting games just to update some others it's starting to become a massive downfall of these tiny HDDs on the first releases of the PS4/Xbox.

+warwagon    13,165

Also notice I said Megabit, not Megabyte ... so if we convert to Megabyte

Super Mario World = 500KB

Link to the past =  1MB

Draconian Guppy    13,037

Oooh remember expansion packs on n64...  There was something similar on snes if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

LimeMaster    15,601
2 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Oooh remember expansion packs on n64...  There was something similar on snes if I recall correctly.

SuperFX for Starfox?

JustGeorge    1,658

The entire library of NES/Famicom games take up less room than a CD (I think). Every SNES rom would fit on a DVD also, I believe.

Todays games, including patches take up more room than the internet /s

Draconian Guppy    13,037
6 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

SuperFX for Starfox?

exactly!

• Like 1

Boo Berry    2,264
13 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

SuperFX for Starfox?

The S-DD1 is the closest one I can think of since it compressed data to stay within the 32 megabit limit whereas the SuperFX was just a GSU and didn't actually expand the game's size limit (it was still subject to 32 megabit), if memory serves. I believe Star Ocean, when uncompressed without the S-DD1, is the largest SNES game at around 96 megabits (which can be only played on a SNES with a SD2SNES flash cart, I believe).

The expansion pak for the N64, if I recall correctly, expanded the overall memory to 8MB and was required by some games like Majora's Mask.

EDIT: I was slightly wrong, Star Ocean compressed with the S-DD1 and Tales Of Phantasia both max out at 48 megabits so those are the largest SNES games, unless you run Star Ocean uncompressed at 96 megabits.

Edited by Boo Berry
  • Like 3

+InsaneNutter    1,353

You could do a lot with so little back then.

Even today i'm impressed by how good games on the Amiga 500 were, I dont think most people could do much today with a 7mhz processor and 1mb of ram!

LimeMaster    15,601
Just now, Boo Berry said:

The S-DD1 is the closest one I can think of since it compressed data to stay within the 32 megabit limit. I believe Star Ocean, when uncompressed, is the largest SNES game at around 96 megabits (which can be only played on a SNES with a SD2SNES flash cart, I believe).

The expansion pak for the N64, if I recall correctly, expanded the overall memory to 8MB and was required by some games like Majora's Mask.

That's interesting! Shame it was one of those games that never saw the light of day here.

Also, kinda funny how nowadays it's possible to hack SNES games & go beyond limits that existed back then:

Spoiler

KrgZPtF.png