learning C# through a mini project, need some guidance

Question

I'm trying to learn C# through a project rather than reading a book. I have data in 3 columns on an excel sheet. I want to create a windows app, and possible web app, so that the user can search an item, list in column A, and the data in columns B and C would appear below. See the attached mock-up. I have already created a Windows Form in visual studio similar to the following. Any pointers?

csharp_project.png

4 answers to this question

I would suggest a console application if you're just starting out. That way you can focus on learning the language rather than conflate it with Windows Forms-specific concerns. It is very confusing for beginners. (Also Windows Form is very old and UI frameworks today look nothing like it).

I've recommended the C# Yellow Book for several years now, it's up-to-date and a great introduction to programming in general.

Might I suggest starting with something a little simpler... not to discourage you, because it is good to learn to program, but interfacing with an excel document (to read the XML excel file into a data table, with program code and then searching it with LINQ) is way higher than a beginner level.

You are not going to really learn anything if you have to copy and paste from Stack overflow most of the code for your project.

I agree with Andre... start with a console app.

once you are familiar with

Types / Variables

Object Oriented Design

Classes (User defined Types) / Objects (Complex Variables of Classes)

Program Flow and Logic

Basic File I/O (Random and Sequential)

Exceptions

Then branch out into Windows forms or Asp.net Web Forms (either will require you to branch out into other languages such as XML + LINQ or SQL or HTML + CSS + Javascript)

I used to teach freshman level C# and Data Structures at a Penn State branch campus, the Deitel line of books are some of the best for learning new languages.