Windows Movie Maker - Trial???

Question

Before i formatted my hard drive a few week ago i used Windows Movie Maker quite a bit & never had an issue with it.

So when i reinstalled Windows i set to putting all my programs back on, including WMM.

Now though, every time i open it, it tells me i'm using a trial version & i can buy a licence.

When it opens up it all seems like the same thing as i was using & i never got prompted beforehand. Any ideas how i can remove the trial pop up at the start other than actually paying for it which i don't want to do.

Well I uploaded it to virus total and only 1 AV out of 52 detect it. 

The only AV to detect anything was Zillya and it called it .. Trojan.Zbot.Win32.192057

Gotta love Antivirus.

Well i solved the problem in the end :)

Formatted the hard drive ... for a 3rd time :(

But at least it's now installed & working fine.

I'm going to get things set up as close to how they should be as i can & then make a backup with Macrium i think. Don't want to be spending all my Christmas holiday's formatting hard drives.

I'm surprised that if it's bad software that only 1 out of 52 AVs even flagged it.

EDIT: I've also now installed Win7 on a Virtual Machine using VMWare Player on my 2TB storage drive to test things in future. I know a VM isn't unbreakable but it's there now.

Strangely i read that VirtualBox is supposed to be the number 1 program for VMs so i tried it yet it would only let me install Win7 32 bit.

VMWare Player didn't complain at all when i used my Win7 64bit DVD.

So for those, not so clean websites, i'll be using the VM :) lol

Edited by Technique

3 hours ago, Technique said:

EDIT: I've also now installed Win7 on a Virtual Machine using VMWare Player on my 2TB storage drive to test things in future. I know a VM isn't unbreakable but it's there now.

Strangely i read that VirtualBox is supposed to be the number 1 program for VMs so i tried it yet it would only let me install Win7 32 bit.

VMWare Player didn't complain at all when i used my Win7 64bit DVD.

So for those, not so clean websites, i'll be using the VM :) lol

There is no guarantee that a VM can retain infections from spreading. A sandbox maybe.

19 hours ago, Gary7 said:

There is no guarantee that a VM can retain infections from spreading. A sandbox maybe.

Installing programs aside, on a sliding scale how secure is a VM for just browsing websites? I'm not talking Neowin but you probably figure what i'm talking about :) lol.

And what is this Sandbox? Is it simple to set up like a VM is?

1 hour ago, Technique said:

Installing programs aside, on a sliding scale how secure is a VM for just browsing websites? I'm not talking Neowin but you probably figure what i'm talking about :) lol.

And what is this Sandbox? Is it simple to set up like a VM is?

https://www.sandboxie.com/

It is supposed to be a safe are to do whatever you want. Avast AIS had one built in. I believe you just install it and play in the sand..

What We Do

Sandboxie uses isolation technology to separate programs from your underlying operating system preventing unwanted changes from happening to your personal data, programs and applications that rest safely on your hard drive.

Web Browsing

Secure your favorite web browser and block malicious software, viruses, ransom-ware and zero day threats by isolating such attacks in the Sandbox; leaving your system protected

On 12/22/2016 at 9:06 AM, Technique said:

I just searched "Windows Movie Maker" in google & looking at the sites that it says i've visited i must've downloaded from this one: http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/

microsoft doesn't have stupid websites like windows-movie-maker, everything from microsoft would be at microsoft.com

oh and Copyright (c) 2008 - 2016 windows-movie-maker.org Software Studio.

that doesn't look at all suspicious.... 

common sense is needed to use the web.

On 24/12/2016 at 9:50 PM, nekrosoft13 said:

microsoft doesn't have stupid websites like windows-movie-maker, everything from microsoft would be at microsoft.com

oh and Copyright (c) 2008 - 2016 windows-movie-maker.org Software Studio.

that doesn't look at all suspicious.... 

common sense is needed to use the web.

Hmm we've had a few posts like yours.

wonder how many more we're going to get.

Everyone wanting their shot at being witty with the sarcasm i guess. Wonderful.

14 minutes ago, Technique said:

Hmm we've had a few posts like yours.

wonder how many more we're going to get.

Everyone wanting their shot at being witty with the sarcasm i guess. Wonderful.

In all fairness, those posts will probably help make you learn from your mistakes.

Anyways, happy holidays to you!

7 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

In all fairness, those posts will probably help make you learn from your mistakes.

Anyways, happy holidays to you!

Not really. The sarcasm & 'wit' could've been cut & i'd have still not done it again.

Lessons can be learned without that :)

Thanks and you too :)

This thread is at the top when I searched for solutions but didn't actually help me at all, so I thought I'd add my experience for others.

I also downloaded the dodgy version and then couldn't install the legit version because it was somehow still installed. I followed the instructions from Leonard here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-wlinstall/how-to-completely-remove-windows-essentials-2012/a68c00f9-e3b1-4775-9009-7b9fa3d0e015 I had to search around for a working download link to wlarp.exe but google solved that easily. I also installed CCleaner and ran it on my registry for good measure. 

After doing the above I was able to use the offline installer for windows live 2012 to install movie maker and it works well.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Ulead/Corel Video Studio

1 hour ago, stevo_gj said:

This thread is at the top when I searched for solutions but didn't actually help me at all, so I thought I'd add my experience for others.

I always think it's great when someone finds a thread on Google and stops to contribute there experience.

I'd advise you to format your PC however, you never truly know what the dodgy version of Movie Maker has done, it could well be logging everything you type as a scary example. It might be doing nothing, however if your buying online, doing banking or even accessing personal things it's be better safe than sorry.

On 2017-3-14 at 7:44 PM, InsaneNutter said:

I always think it's great when someone finds a thread on Google and stops to contribute there experience.

I'd advise you to format your PC however, you never truly know what the dodgy version of Movie Maker has done, it could well be logging everything you type as a scary example. It might be doing nothing, however if your buying online, doing banking or even accessing personal things it's be better safe than sorry.

I agree formatting is definitely the safest approach. I've shared this thread with a few others in the same predicament who wouldn't format regardless of finding a solution.

On 2017-3-14 at 8:07 PM, T3X4S said:

I think its great when 1 post wonders bring dead threads back from ...err... uhmmm... death.

Sorry for trying to be helpful, I'll avoid that in the future. :/

1 hour ago, stevo_gj said:

Sorry for trying to be helpful, I'll avoid that in the future. :/

Thank you for reviving this! It reminded me that @warwagon still needs to post his results about using the fake Movie Maker sandboxed.