[Help] Reverting to Single OS system

Linux noob here: I have a dual boot system right now (dual hard drives - XP/Fedora) and I'm removing the drive with Fedora on it. How do I remove GRUB from my XP drive? Is it as simple as just removing the (slave) Fedora drive and then let XP go when I start it back up? Thanks for any help!

next time when u install fedora

install as expert via the install prompt when u boot from cd

and when u come to grub settings on one of the install screens

click advanced

and do not select MBR, select the other option

and go into fdisk or cdfisk *if u become proficient* and make that partition active

when u remove that active partition, and set ur xp partition to active again, it will just boot into windows as normal :)

nice hu.

Well, I don't want to lose information on my windows partition and I'm not installing Fedora on this system again, so neither of those will really help.

There's nothing I can do from the linux side to remove it?

Or if I go with the first suggestion, what kind of info would I lose? How important is it?

Well, I don't want to lose information on my windows partition and I'm not installing Fedora on this system again, so neither of those will really help.

There's nothing I can do from the linux side to remove it?

Or if I go with the first suggestion, what kind of info would I lose? How important is it?

Read Fedora's documentation. I am pretty sure they have a procedure on how to remove Fedora painlessly. I know that RedHat included the procedure in their docs. I will look for the link and post it for you, if you need me to....

you can also boot off of your winxp cd and do fixmbr when you get into recovery console

Yeah, I tried that earlier but when it says press F2 to enter recovery console it asks for some disk and that's as far as I could get... :huh:

What'd I do wrong?

Alright, I tried booting windows into Safe Mode (hit F8 just before xp started up) and I enter the fdisk /mbr command and it tells me that fdisk is not a recognized command/program. This can't be that difficult. What am I doing wrong?

@Fortis, you need to change your sig and avatar because everytime I load this page I get a stupid MSN login dialog...quite annoying!

Do you have a bootdisk (Windows prompts you to make one, and I hope you did!)?

or

Can you boot into ANYTHING and get online to bootdisk.com?

If so, boot off the floppy, and do the command fdisk / mbr from the floppy.

No /dev/hda or C: drive data will be in-use, and the command will succeed. :cool:

Ok, I made an MS-Dos boot disk by right clicking the 3.5 floppy drive and went to Format and checked the box to make an MS-Dos boot disk. Rebooted to the A drive, typed fdisk /mbr and got "No such command".

Let me see what I can find at bootdisk.com...

LOL

Yeah, a boot disk is just a boot disk.... I was hoping for the system disk that Windows prompts you to make when you install (or if you go to add/remove programs, if I recall coreectly)

bootdisk.com will have what you need, and I usually point people there. :)

LOL...I didn't have 6 floppies to make an XP Pro SP1 boot "setup" so I download the Win98SE boot disk and replaced the fdisk that it comes with with a new one that they had and it worked! Damn I feel stoooopid...

LOL...I didn't have 6 floppies to make an XP Pro SP1 boot "setup" so I download the Win98SE boot disk and replaced the fdisk that it comes with with a new one that they had and it worked! Damn I feel stoooopid...

No worries.

Everyone goes into uncharted territories every now and then. It's called learning, and I highly encourage it! :yes:

ok

u didnt read what the guy wrote :)

recovery consol...

of the xp cd?

not ASD or recovery mode boot

when u get to the xp install screens

it will say to u

it has already located and XP installation

would u like to repair the installtion

install fresh

or go into recovery mode

select recovery mode

it will ask u ur admin password

and then type help

u want fixmbr or fixboot

one of the two.

if that dont work *(it should)* but if it dont

do u have an old win98 (SE would help) cd lying about?

goto it

>boot from cd>to command prompt

then type

fdisk /mbr

:D

done

I'm more of a Titans fan. Even through the loss last week. :(

But, I was born and raised in Minnesota, so my poor Vikes are where my loyalties lie... They got knocked out a week earlier... :no:

And Fortis, change your avatar and sig...it's completely annoying! :crazy:

Once images come up like that, I put a block on them. (I use Mozilla)

Once images come up like that, I put a block on them.  (I use Mozilla)

It's not an image...it's a stupid msn login dialog because his images are linked into his stupid msn account.