Linksys Router Port 80. Are you kidding me?

On 1/7/2017 at 3:06 AM, BinaryData said:

Cisco didn't own Linksys in 2014... They sold it in March of 2013.

Yep but the N600 was a year or two old when I bought it? So it was still a Cisco branded router when i bought it mate :) Apologies I should have made that clear :) 

Edited by Mando

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

Then the router should ASK you if you want UPnP or not - shouldn't it.. Not just have it on...  I would be fine with that!  That solves the whole point of this thread ;) 

Your saying the camera maker should ask you, but the router maker shouldn't??  So what is good for the goose is not for the gander in your eyes... Make Zero sense!!

And sorry your little FUD comment is not my point at all.. My point is that UPnP should not be on by default since it has zero control.  If it had control method then sure have it on, since user has to do something.

I have not said the hackers are coming, I said without a control method is a bad idea!  I have agreed with you that when gran needs unsolicated inbound ports, then sure UPnP on here router can do that for here.  Not saying she should have to recompile the kernel or she shouldn't be on the internet.. But it should ask her if she wants this open, or she should have to turn it on with a click..   Your last comment in there is the only one that makes any sense.  Yes I completely agree if you do not "need" to open ports then you shouldn't!!

If you're saying: During router setup, ask the user, Do you want programs, devices and game consoles to request and allow incoming connections as needed? I'm for that. It won't make a difference though, expect nearly 100% yes.

If you're asking for a click every single time you launch Skype, BitTorrent, Voice Chat, etc, no. I'm not for that. That's needless complexity.  You might as well quiz them on the iTunes license agreement, they didn't read that either but they sure know what to click to continue.

Ive now disabled UPnP on the router, so far everything still works, ill check comprehensively today.

without sounding like a bum suck, If budman/Sc302 sees a potential risk, then thats good enough for me to revisit it IMO.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:10 AM, Joe User said:

Again, you're missing the point. It's a complexity problem. Imagine if you're supporting a small camera company, you need to have support with pages of routers and all their configurations to talk the user through opening a port. Only to find out that their ISP changed the default settings and it won't work anyway.

Axis, the biggest of all camera manufacturers and with a focus on the Enterprise, leaves uPnP on by default. There's no excuse for that.

6 hours ago, Joe User said:

If you're saying: During router setup, ask the user, Do you want programs, devices and game consoles to request and allow incoming connections as needed? I'm for that. It won't make a difference though, expect nearly 100% yes.

If you're asking for a click every single time you launch Skype, BitTorrent, Voice Chat, etc, no. I'm not for that. That's needless complexity.  You might as well quiz them on the iTunes license agreement, they didn't read that either but they sure know what to click to continue.

uPnP isn't required for connections that are initiated from your LAN. The router knows the request went out from what IP and port and to whom and on what port and will automatically allow the traffic back in as long as everything matches. 

55 minutes ago, Stokkolm said:

uPnP isn't required for connections that are initiated from your LAN. The router knows the request went out from what IP and port and to whom and on what port and will automatically allow the traffic back in as long as everything matches. 

It's used for hosting applications. P2P file sharing, voice conference hosting and game hosting are the top 3. They tend to break when everyone is behind NAT and no 3rd party server is involved.

I would argue that if you're sophisticated enough to host a voice conference or a game server then you should be sophisticated enough to configure a port forward. It's really not THAT hard. Seriously, those are all GREAT ways to get compromised if you don't know what you're doing. Might as well put your network printer on the internet. 

39 minutes ago, Stokkolm said:

I would argue that if you're sophisticated enough to host a voice conference or a game server then you should be sophisticated enough to configure a port forward. It's really not THAT hard. Seriously, those are all GREAT ways to get compromised if you don't know what you're doing. Might as well put your network printer on the internet. 

Exactly. All these arguments for upnp to be enabled is for activities that are used by people who typically know how the heck to open a port. I've yet to hear a single argument for an activity that needs it yet would be used by the average ordinary grandma. We already know game consoles don't need it.