What was the last movie you watched? (2017 Edition)

If you have recently watched a movie, tell us a bit about what you thought and give us your rating out of 5 or 10. :)

Please use spoiler tags for recently released movies (5 years since the release date is a good cut-off) or just avoid spoilers all together!

Usual Neowin Rules Apply.

maxresdefault.jpg

Horrible acting by the leads the first 30 minutes... really felt that they weren't into the part.  It got better as  the movie advanced. Around 7ish/10 story wise i'd say.

Edited by Draconian Guppy
  • Like 2

Bad Moms - 8/10 
It was actually funnier that I would have thought..

Legally Blonde 2 (2003)
This movie doesn't really give credit to Elle Woods. The first movie really showed someone who had confidence and wasn't going to let other people's options of her bring her down. She demonstrated strong morals such as not being judgemental and letting others show their true colors rather than calling them out. The second installment of this series just didn't have the depth the first movie did.  Elle taught us to be ourselves and be the best person we are capable of. 

Arrival - 9/10

Dennis Villeneuve is a master of suspense, and combined with natural curiosity most of us have when it comes the theme, it created a really engaging experience. At times it felt that nobody in the theater was breathing. The story is really good, the performances as well. I can't wait to watch it again at home, to see if it holds up.

Rogue One - 6/10

Characters were really flat and it hindered my interest in the movie, especially because the movie sort of hangs on them being interesting in order to work, as you already know where it's leading. The action at the end is cool, and it does a few things you wouldn't expect from a Star Wars movie, but that's about it.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 7/10

A nice feel-good adventure/friendship movie from one of the guys who directed "What We Do in the Shadows." It's a tad predictable, and a bit zany (reminded me of Wes Anderson in that regard), but Sam Neil and the kid actor are great. The scenery is beautiful, and the cinematography manages to capture it.

Death Race 2050

I happen to be a fan since the Original David Carradine movie

death-race-2050-poster.jpg

Easily one of the worst movies in the entire existence of bad movies

terrible acting, terrible directing, terrible cgi,

absolutely terrible

10/10 and I loved every second of it

Last movie I watched was suicide squad last night (again) must get the directors cut watched and see if its more well rounded than theatre release.

Decent enough but it was all saved by.....it even redeems the Jokers shortcomings in this movie.

Spoiler

Gallery_327632K4a_SS_Dom_Character_Harley_57a3c96be06cb4.90062679.jpg

stunning :D

8/10.

• Like 1

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV. Watched this Saturday night with my wife. The CGI was literally so good it hurt my eyes, and yes I do mean literally. The graphics were so good, the people and a lot of the 'normal things' looked real. The hair was a little exaggerated as were things like the cars and weapons (swords and guns). Then there were things like monsters, airships, and magic effects that were obviously not real. The movie itself was not very good and largely predictable.

I watched it because I started the game, and I thought the movie was back story, but it contradicted the beginning of the game, or at least it seemed to. There is also an anime series called Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV (five ten-minute episodes; the whole thing is half the length of Kingsglaive) which follows the events of the movie, but takes place before the game. It highlights the beginning of the game actually, but does not give any of it away, and instead tends to focus on the back story of the four main characters. So basically, the movie and the anime provide back story to the game, which provides none at all. Unlike the old PS1 Final Fantasy games, you don't watch a 5-10 minute CGI movie before the game begins. There's just a conversation between Noctis, the main character, and his father, then they get in the car and take off.

I may have gotten a little off topic from the movie, which is what this topic is about. Movies. But this isn't really a regular movie you watch. You watch the movie and the anime with the first chapter or two of the game, as you're able, and it sort of rounds out the experience. If you're considering the game, the movie isn't really a good way to sell the game. Had I only seen the movie, I wouldn't have wanted to play the game. That being said, I gave the movie a 6/10 and the anime a 7/10. Again I did not think the movie was very good, but damn, it sure was pretty to look at.

Morgan. Watched this Friday night. I was a bit taken in by the trailer, which promised a movie about a mysterious, gender androgynous figure called Morgan, and they don't really tell you anything else. Then I saw the movie, which quickly establishes that Morgan is a little girl (aged 5, but physically looks 12 and the actress is 20) created in a lab, who is organic but has a computer's neural network in her DNA through the magic of science, so she's awkward like Data from Star Trek and makes some of the same social mistakes, except she's also seriously injured one of the lab techs observing her, so Kate Mara's character is sent to decide whether she should be terminated (put to death) or if the research should continue. That's the premise outlined in the first 5-10 minutes, and you can guess what happens throughout most of the rest of the movie. I gave it a 7/10 because it was interesting and it was fun, and it was only 85 minutes. Much longer and its score would have dropped fast. But it was very much a poor man's Ex Machina.  Also, if you don't sympathize with Morgan, I think you're going to have a worse time. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been as interested.

I am new to the topic (haven't posted in previous years' topics), so if you want to see my ratings history, here is my Trakt profile/ratings page. I tend to rate high if I liked a movie, and I don't care as much about technical qualities as I do about how much I liked the movie, and how likely I am to watch it again. I also rate high, though I've been trying to balance it out a bit. But my feeling on rating low is, if a movie's steering to a 5 or below, I'm not going to finish it, and if I don't finish it, I probably won't rate it (because that wouldn't be fair). I have rated a few movies low, but my average is 7 or 8. Then again, most of the movies I rated, I watched because I like them. They were picked because they fit a profile and looked good. Sometimes I will sit through a movie I don't like and then give it a bad rating. And I've adjusted some of my ratings. Anyway, should give you an idea of whether you agree with my tastes or not...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dragontology said:

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV. Watched this Saturday night with my wife. The CGI was literally so good it hurt my eyes, and yes I do mean literally. The graphics were so good, the people and a lot of the 'normal things' looked real. The hair was a little exaggerated as were things like the cars and weapons (swords and guns). Then there were things like monsters, airships, and magic effects that were obviously not real. The movie itself was not very good and largely predictable.

I watched it because I started the game, and I thought the movie was back story, but it contradicted the beginning of the game, or at least it seemed to. There is also an anime series called Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV (five ten-minute episodes; the whole thing is half the length of Kingsglaive) which follows the events of the movie, but takes place before the game. It highlights the beginning of the game actually, but does not give any of it away, and instead tends to focus on the back story of the four main characters. So basically, the movie and the anime provide back story to the game, which provides none at all. Unlike the old PS1 Final Fantasy games, you don't watch a 5-10 minute CGI movie before the game begins. There's just a conversation between Noctis, the main character, and his father, then they get in the car and take off.

I may have gotten a little off topic from the movie, which is what this topic is about. Movies. But this isn't really a regular movie you watch. You watch the movie and the anime with the first chapter or two of the game, as you're able, and it sort of rounds out the experience. If you're considering the game, the movie isn't really a good way to sell the game. Had I only seen the movie, I wouldn't have wanted to play the game. That being said, I gave the movie a 6/10 and the anime a 7/10. Again I did not think the movie was very good, but damn, it sure was pretty to look at.

Morgan. Watched this Friday night. I was a bit taken in by the trailer, which promised a movie about a mysterious, gender androgynous figure called Morgan, and they don't really tell you anything else. Then I saw the movie, which quickly establishes that Morgan is a little girl (aged 5, but physically looks 12 and the actress is 20) created in a lab, who is organic but has a computer's neural network in her DNA through the magic of science, so she's awkward like Data from Star Trek and makes some of the same social mistakes, except she's also seriously injured one of the lab techs observing her, so Kate Mara's character is sent to decide whether she should be terminated (put to death) or if the research should continue. That's the premise outlined in the first 5-10 minutes, and you can guess what happens throughout most of the rest of the movie. I gave it a 7/10 because it was interesting and it was fun, and it was only 85 minutes. Much longer and its score would have dropped fast. But it was very much a poor man's Ex Machina.  Also, if you don't sympathize with Morgan, I think you're going to have a worse time. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been as interested.

I am new to the topic (haven't posted in previous years' topics), so if you want to see my ratings history, here is my Trakt profile/ratings page. I tend to rate high if I liked a movie, and I don't care as much about technical qualities as I do about how much I liked the movie, and how likely I am to watch it again. I also rate high, though I've been trying to balance it out a bit. But my feeling on rating low is, if a movie's steering to a 5 or below, I'm not going to finish it, and if I don't finish it, I probably won't rate it (because that wouldn't be fair). I have rated a few movies low, but my average is 7 or 8. Then again, most of the movies I rated, I watched because I like them. They were picked because they fit a profile and looked good. Sometimes I will sit through a movie I don't like and then give it a bad rating. And I've adjusted some of my ratings. Anyway, should give you an idea of whether you agree with my tastes or not...

Wow, really thorough reviews!

Kinda feel you should start a thread for each movie review you do :p

Also, last movie of FF I watched was Advent children and enjoyed it a lot! Having no previous FF experiences (gaming nor anime)

• Like 2

HO00003779.jpg

7/10

Though I feel it could have been longer, like explaining why they where in the forrest (Though it was implied) and perhaps a final closing scene to what their lives had become with that upbringing (after all, the movie does emphasize a lot on that)

• Like 2

Watched The Accountant last night. Ben Affleck is his usual wooden, could-be-Adam-Sandler's-older-brother-slash-father self, but he plays a good autism/Aspergers um, patient? Sufferer? Affleck plays a guy who suffered with autism as a child, but through extensive training, has learned to control himself. He still has many nervous twitches, but lives as an accountant. He's brilliant and capable of photographic memory and bizarre, almost supernatural mental calculations. He's brought in to audit a robotics company that is about to go public, but as he discovers their secrets (which he was not meant to find), his past begins to unravel and things go sideways.

On the nerd level, it's pretty cool, but the story makes a few quick leaps for convenience to tie everything together, and a lot of the second half just doesn't make sense. If it was as well put together as the rest, it could have been an 8/10, possibly, but I gave it a 7/10.

14 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Wow, really thorough reviews!

Kinda feel you should start a thread for each movie review you do :p

Also, last movie of FF I watched was Advent children and enjoyed it a lot! Having no previous FF experiences (gaming nor anime)

Thanks. Don't want to clutter the forum though. One thread for all the reviews, closed at the end of the year and renewed each January is a great idea. Keeps things on track.

For Final Fantasy, if you have the time for a game, you should try to play Final Fantasy 7. It's on Steam, but I'm not sure if it's been fixed. Shortly after the game came out on PC, and it was 3 CDs on PS1, and 4 on PC (install disc and three game discs), a hacker/cracker/whatever released an "Ultima Edition" on the "warez scene." Not only did this reduce the game to 2 CDs (it's 2 ISO's, IIRC), but they also fixed a game breaking bug Squaresoft left in. After the first city, which takes about 10 hours to complete, there's a scene where the game just crashes, and apparently it will every time. You can probably get the patch separately. I would HOPE that it's included in the Steam version. But the patch was never official. My best guess is that it's not included. So I would pay for the game, because it really is worth paying for... and then just download it. As much as I hate to suggest black market gaming. Square should have admitted that they screwed up the release, paid the author of the patch a few grand, and then published it on their site. But instead, they pretended that the issue did not exist, and ignored complaints. Really sad situation. The PS1 version does not have the bug in the first place. If you can get a PS1, that's the best/most legit way to play the game. If you do it on PC you would have to jump through hoops. But it's so worth it. The game is not hard at all, and it's one of the best stories I've seen, in games, in movies, in TV, or anywhere. In typical Japanese fashion they don't spell it out for you like American writers tend to do, but they give you more than enough dots to connect. And if you connect them, it's a pretty emotional experience at the end. Though, I think a lot of the Final Fantasy games have that effect on people. That's why people go to such great lengths to defend their favorite, whether it's 6, 7, or 8. Those are the common ones, but the others have their champions, too. But 7 is absolutely Square's baby. It's the one that saved them way back when, and it started the 'cinematic' trend that continues today through Final Fantasy 15, just released last month (or maybe November).

14 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

HO00003779.jpg

7/10

Though I feel it could have been longer, like explaining why they where in the forrest (Though it was implied) and perhaps a final closing scene to what their lives had become with that upbringing (after all, the movie does emphasize a lot on that)

Damn, I meant to see this. Looks really good. 

• Like 2

Apologies for the double post. And for including the poster in my quote. Just realized I did that. Not cool. Cool that Draconian Guppy included it. Not cool that I quoted it. Maybe a mod could be so kind as to edit the image out of my post? Just leave a *snip* or something.

Just watched The Girl on the Train. Confusing movie. I wasn't sure I'd stick with it. It jumps around a lot in the first act (about 45 minutes) and I felt unnecessarily. But stick with it, and it starts to make sense. Don't really want to say much more than that, since once it does start making sense, things start changing, and spoilers and such. Overall it's about a 6.5/10, but since the sites I rate on (IMDb and Trakt.tv) only use whole numbers, I went up to 7/10 rather than down to 6.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 4:50 AM, dragontology said:

Apologies for the double post. And for including the poster in my quote. Just realized I did that. Not cool. Cool that Draconian Guppy included it. Not cool that I quoted it. Maybe a mod could be so kind as to edit the image out of my post? Just leave a *snip* or something.

Just watched The Girl on the Train. Confusing movie. I wasn't sure I'd stick with it. It jumps around a lot in the first act (about 45 minutes) and I felt unnecessarily. But stick with it, and it starts to make sense. Don't really want to say much more than that, since once it does start making sense, things start changing, and spoilers and such. Overall it's about a 6.5/10, but since the sites I rate on (IMDb and Trakt.tv) only use whole numbers, I went up to 7/10 rather than down to 6.

there's actually a forum:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/forum/187-movie-ratings/

• Like 3

Just watched all 4 Indiana Jones movies again. Watching them all in a row, it's pretty stunning how bad Crystal Skull was. Even Harrison's acting was terrible.

• Like 1

On the World Cinema theme

Ek Peheli Leela

ek-paheli-leela-movie-april-10.jpg

Karenjit Kaur Vohra (aka Sunny Leone)

The rest are mostly unknowns

A reminiscent movie about a 300 year old legend (based on very old Bollywood Cinema <60's-80's>)

Mostly an Iconic Location set movie.

Meera, an Model goes to India, Rajasthan, and remembers a previous life.

Murder, unfinished business, lost love....

7/10

purely for the locations, the acting was about par for what would be a low budget movie (not surprising when taking into consideration Sunny's paycheque :p )

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Raees

raees.jpg

SRK as Raees

Movie felt a little reminiscent of Scarface, in this instance, set in prohibition, Gujarat,

Raees, a smuggler, built an empire around his booze manufacturing and smuggling industry.

Honest thief undertones,

6/10

• Like 3

Arrival  9/10

Denis Villeneuve has become one of my favorite directors, movies such as Sicario (and Benicio Del Toro's chilling performance), Prisoners and Incendies are fantastic.

VtYMs7O.jpg

• Like 2

large_Arrival-Poster-2016.jpg

Starting on the oscar bits

i'd say  7/10   acting was great, supporting actor kinda meh. I would have liked more story or at least a hint of a proper follow up on "WHY ARE THEY HERE" and time travel and sequel.

Eg. Them coming to earth to show Louise Banks the future isn't the why, that's the consequence of the way (Eg. we will need your help)

• Like 2

The Rush Hour trilogy

I won't bother posting images as I'm on a tablet

Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker.

10/10 

Sat and watched them with my wife and kids, loved it.

The movies were good too

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

The Rush Hour trilogy

I won't bother posting images as I'm on a tablet

Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker.

10/10 

Sat and watched them with my wife and kids, loved it.

The movies were good too

yeah nice popcorn flicks.

I'd love a 4th with them being older!

• Like 2