• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Do you turn your PC off at night?

Technique    39

I couldn't find a suitable forum for this so apologies if it'd be better suited elsewhere.

I was just curious how many of you turn your PCs off at night. I don't mean machines that NEED to run 24/7 if you own such a machine. I mean just your usual PC for whatever you may use it for. Photo editing, gaming, just browsing, whatever.

I'm going to be setting up auto-backup now as i don't want to go through the formatting process i did last month, so i'll set it to every Saturday in the early hours, but then that's the only time i'll leave it on overnight, every other day i will turn it off.

I know some people leave their machines on all the time but curiosity got me about this message board & its members.

+Gary7    7,382

No, I just put it to sleep. I do not use restore points so I do a Backup every day. With Macrium it only takes 5 minutes.

Crisp    3,271

I leave mine on, I don't like the cold so the sooner the ice caps melt... the better :/

• Like 5

Steven P.    15,004

I leave mine on, but sometimes will power down if I remember.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,090

My workstation has been running for 3 years straight ;)

Turning it off and back on causes the fan bearings to complain. 

At home I just let things sleep. 

Nick H.    10,276

Nope. But I generally have things downloading, and I fall asleep with a film/tv show/music playing so at least it is doing something. I put the laptop to sleep when I leave the house in the morning, though. These days I don't have much of a need to remotely connect to it.

Mando    5,117

i shutdown all systems at home when not in use. Only items on 24/7 is NAS & router.

• Like 5

Draconian Guppy    13,037

desktop pc that used to function as mediapc, nevar. laptop, just closed the screen at night, though after 2 weeks of not shutting off, usb ports go crazy

• Like 1

Astra.Xtreme    2,874

I turn mine off.  Boot time with a SSD is less than 10 seconds, so turning it on & off isn't exactly a burden.

• Like 8

tsupersonic    1,870

In college, I'd leave it on all the time. Now that I pay for electricity, I shut down my desktop. My laptops always sleep when not in use. All my PC's have SSD's, so boot times are quick.

Buttus    1,231

i haven't turned my computer off in years.  (except when i go on vacation for more than a couple days)

+Zagadka    4,106

I almost never turn my PC off unless I'm gone for some days. It does a lot of things on its own (updates, scheduled actions, IRC bots, etc)

Dot Matrix    7,438

All my devices power down to sleep mode when not in use.

Pam14160    319

Darn I was wondering what that little round button up in the corner was for . . .:woot:

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,581

My desktop yes, because of the noise and heat. My laptop however stays on or sleeps if it isn't doing anything overnight. 

Mockingbird    2,938

Of cause. Why would I leave it on?

+warwagon    13,508
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

My workstation has been running for 3 years straight ;)

Turning it off and back on causes the fan bearings to complain. 

At home I just let things sleep. 

Mine has been running Since October 2008 :D

+InsaneNutter    1,380

I put my PC to sleep, it's also set to go to sleep after been idle for 30 mins.

DConnell    6,584

At night? Never. It's my media server.

I power it down when I leave for work, unless I expect to need to remote into it for something or I have a process running.

• Like 1

Xenon    8,939
1 hour ago, Mando said:

i shutdown all systems at home when not in use. Only items on 24/7 is NAS & router.

Same

onewarmslime    195

Depends on what you mean turn off. I always put the computer to sleep when I'm not using it. I used to turn it off completely at nights but I find myself doing it less and less as time goes by. The sleep button on Dell keyboards is super convenient and I guess it's good for the environment too because who knows how many times I'd leave it on if it wasn't so easily accessible :p

LimeMaster    15,602

I hibernate all devices when given the option. I'm not keen on keeping them running constantly,

• Like 1

+Zagadka    4,106

I'd add that I frequently go to bed in the middle of a lot of work (as I do so from home). Closing and re-opening everything is possible, but not really worth it.

+Mirumir    5,636

Both of my PC's consume approx. 1.5kW.

If I don't power them off for the night, my monthly electricity bill rises by about $30.  It's not much (on a monthly basis), but I don't like to waste the energy or my money. In addition, I tend to avoid risks as there's always a risk of catching a fire if I don't shut them down (the same goes for all the other household appliances). Better to be safe, than sorry.

P.S. A saving of $30 per month nets a saving of $360 per year.

• Like 1

Hurricane Andrew    49

Haven't turned any of my desktop systems off at night in at least 10 years.  The only time I power things down is when I'm going on an extended vacation (more than a weekend).