Do you turn your PC off at night?

56 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

My desktop yes, because of the noise and heat. My laptop however stays on or sleeps if it isn't doing anything overnight. 

Why does your desktop make noise when it's not being used? Have it go to sleep... During the winter any heat coming out of the PC is a bonus. :-) So... I keep my PC on 24/7 during the winter but turn it off at night during the summer.

Desktop, yes. It has midi keyboard connected which I use almost daily but not often enough to leave on. Laptops are always powered down unless there is something I need to do the next morning that I don't have any spare time for. Like a early doctor appointment, etc.

Hibernate, it's pretty much off. That goes for the tablet too. I don't need email or calendar notifications beeping at me at night.

21 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Why does your desktop make noise when it's not being used? Have it go to sleep... During the winter any heat coming out of the PC is a bonus. :-) So... I keep my PC on 24/7 during the winter but turn it off at night during the summer.

I have no reason to have my desktop set to sleep. It is a gaming/benchmark rig, no reason to leave it on when I am not doing one of the two, that is why I have a laptop. My rig makes noise due to the pumps and water cooling, even more so when I hook up the phase change unit for benching.

My desktop/file server stays on 24/7. All the other PCs/laptops in house are turned off when not in use.

It was ingrained in me at a young age to conserve electricity whenever possible and I try to do that as much as possible (turning lights off when not being used is one I do relentlessly).

4 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Both of my PC's consume approx. 1.5kW.

If I don't power them off for the night, my monthly electricity bill rises by about $30.  It's not much (on a monthly basis), but I don't like to waste the energy or my money. In addition, I tend to avoid risks as there's always a risk of catching a fire if I don't shut them down (the same goes for all the other household appliances). Better to be safe, than sorry.

P.S. A saving of $30 per month nets a saving of $360 per year.

Same here but I don't use that much power for my computer.

3 hours ago, BinaryData said:

I've been told that shutting down your PC constantly is bad for the hardware. I leave mine online due to how obnoxious mine is.

How is it bad for hardware?

5 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Same here but I don't use that much power for my computer.

How is it bad for hardware?

It damages the circuitry over time. It's the initial "zap" that does the damage. Though, when I was told this, it was the early 2000s. We've made leaps and bounds with how we design/develop hardware. I'm waiting for someone to correct me.

Just now, HoochieMamma said:

I turn off everything, PC, modem/AP etc every night. Just wasting power if it's on and I'm not doing anything on it.

I use this to make it easy for me at night as the switch is near my PC

https://www.belkin.com/conserve/switch/

You do realize you're probably saving about $1 - $3 tops every month. For me, I'd save about $10 / month if I did that. I have 5 - 7 computers running 24/7, network gear, and APs.

4 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

You do realize you're probably saving about $1 - $3 tops every month. For me, I'd save about $10 / month if I did that. I have 5 - 7 computers running 24/7, network gear, and APs.

What about the fire risk?

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

What about the fire risk?

Don't forget about the hackers.

The only safe PC is a turned off PC :) 

13 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

It damages the circuitry over time. It's the initial "zap" that does the damage. Though, when I was told this, it was the early 2000s. We've made leaps and bounds with how we design/develop hardware. I'm waiting for someone to correct me.

My PC is plugged to a UPS that flattens electrical spikes, so I'm supposed to be good :) 

13 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

How much are you paying per kilo watt per hour?

You should check with your hydro company ;) 

4 hours ago, BinaryData said:

I've been told that shutting down your PC constantly is bad for the hardware. I leave mine online due to how obnoxious mine is.

As I've been told: "Turning your PC off/on is more stressful than just leaving it on, but leaving it on is a constant stress."

I think my last PC was on 24/7 for 5yrs. Never a problem. My newly built PC has been getting shut down during the week as I only use it to game on weekends.

I guess 24/7 operation is probably unnecessary wear/tear on capacitors, especially if you're not actually using it much. Then there is the increased power consumption and possible security risks to an always on internet connected PC.

Fire risk? Do you have some terrible PC that is glued together. Ive worked in IT for more that 10 years, supporting more than 10k end points and most of the companies never turn off their machines and I have never heard of a machine catching fire. The numbers just dont add up for me to be worried about it.

I have 4 servers(3 HP Micros and a PC) and my Gaming/Work PC none of these are ever turned off. I also have 2 laptops and they are only put to sleep. My power bills are fine the aircon is what causes most of the issues in summer. 

The only real reason would be to stop hacking but...... convenience cancels out that thought at the moment.

Only when leaving for extended periods of time.

6 hours ago, Crisp said:

I leave mine on, I don't like the cold so the sooner the ice caps melt... the better :/

The heat mine outputs when idle is negligible. Curse modern technology.

11 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

My PC is plugged to a UPS that flattens electrical spikes, so I'm supposed to be good :) 

Its from the power supply to the motherboard that I would be concerned with during power up.

9 minutes ago, IsItPluggedIn said:

I also have 2 laptops and they are only put to sleep. My power bills are fine the aircon is what causes most of the issues in summer. 

A few years ago I got an HP laptop from a customer. I put a spare hard drive in and reinstalled Windows. It was doing updates so I left it plugged in on my kitchen table and went out for the night. Next Day I had the laptop on my lap with it unplugged from the charger cable. The Charger was plugged in laying on the floor and all of the sudden the tip of the charger started smoking :o

5 hours ago, warwagon said:

Mine has been running Since October 2008 :D

This thread cursed me. My workstation (figuratively) blew up today. 

13 minutes ago, warwagon said:

A few years ago I got an HP laptop from a customer. I put a spare hard drive in and reinstalled Windows. It was doing updates so I left it plugged in on my kitchen table and went out for the night. Next Day I had the laptop on my lap with it unplugged from the charger cable. The Charger was plugged in laying on the floor and all of the sudden the tip of the charger started smoking :o

HP's had some recalls for chargers, I think. Maybe you got  winner :)