Do you turn your PC off at night?

11 hours ago, xpablo said:

So by reading this thread I'm under the assumption that my computer workstation consumes mass quantities of electricity?

My computer and peripherals which are plugged into my UPS are on 24 hours a day, and are only shut off if I leave home for more than 24 hours.

it only uses what the PSU supplys to it for the load, so no not really mate :) PSUS almost never run at full draw (unless woefully under powered for components)

Since the 90's I've never had a bad harddisk after years of use and mainly 24/7 on. I have been pretty lucky with hardware, with mainly only peripherals breaking, like mouse/keyboard. The last replacement hardware I did were my two 23" screens which gave out after almost 6 years of use :p (LG) I now have two 1440p 27" Philips screens :) 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I turned it off last night due to this thread, do I get a cookie now? :unsure: 

173572251_Chocolate-chip-cookie.jpg

• Like 3

This thread made me consider turning off the two workstations that are on (and don't need to be on) .My NAS is 24/7 as it takes about 5 minutes to run up all the services, and I can't do it remotely. My NAS runs CCTV for me, so it's going to stay on.

21 minutes ago, lunamonkey said:

This thread made me consider turning off the two workstations that are on (and don't need to be on) .My NAS is 24/7 as it takes about 5 minutes to run up all the services, and I can't do it remotely. My NAS runs CCTV for me, so it's going to stay on.

Understandable (Y)

• Like 1

I do now. Never used to but this place is prone to powercuts, and I have a media server running on a Pi now which stays on so there's no need to keep the main system on. Also, global warming, electricity bills etc.

i generally turn off all my systems at night. 

For backup of my desktops, I have a combination of scripts that copy data to a single location, and that location is then uploaded for backup using crashplan.  I am not too concerned of the actual systems themselves as i am with the data.  I turn on the systems using that same script either through wake-on-LAN or BIOS. 

15 hours ago, Konstantine said:

The real question is why would I need to keep it on? Even my mum's laptop @ Windows 10, HDD @ 7200RPM, 7400 GO GPU, Centrino Duo boots in less than 40 seconds when I press the power button.

Now Imagine the speed on my i5 6400, 8GB DDR4, 650 Ti, 850 PRO SSD. I mean, most of us in here have such specs... It boots in under 10 seconds, so why? :p

Well, I can say for a fact that 80% of the members here use their PC even when their asleep. I'm constantly archiving "Linux ISOs" to my Amazon Cloud Drive. I don't leave my laptop online over night unless I need too. If I do, i just close my screen and let it go to sleep.

14 hours ago, xpablo said:

So by reading this thread I'm under the assumption that my computer workstation consumes mass quantities of electricity?

My computer and peripherals which are plugged into my UPS are on 24 hours a day, and are only shut off if I leave home for more than 24 hours.

Not at all, computer consumes less than a Fridge or your AC does, it consumes about as much as your microwave does.

14 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

Crack you up?

Ok, how about you leave your AC on all day every day and never turn it off? How about your car too? What about your lights? Do you have a couple of flood lights as well? Leave them on all the time too or is that nothing to laugh about? You seem to like wasting resources for no reason at all. You sound very american with your way of thinking.

I do. I leave my AC on 24/7, aw snap that's right, I have central heating/air. It turns on when it's needed. I don't waste resources at all, I leave my PCs online because for one, most of them are servers used by others, and my primary desktop is wonky as hell. As in, if I shut it down, it won't boot back up until I wait an hour, or it won't boot up and POSTs with a GFX Card beeps.

13 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah I think my sam hive corrupted. I lost permissions to just about everything and then I rebooted and went to a stop 0x7b. Had to wipe it. Lost some code that didn't get checked in yet. . Not a great week. 

GHEY! D: It can always be worse, bro. I watched a kid drop a 48 Bay Supermicro with 10TB Drives in it. Nothing works, all the drives are fubar, way too much shock to them. We have a concrete floor in the DC. That's about $250,000 OOPS.

6 hours ago, Mirumir said:

And you seem to have missed that that's exactly what a surge protector does.

Win? Like in a game?

Ok, babe, I'll keep that in mind! haha

God, you are DUMB. When you press the freaking power button, it's the initial release of power from the surge protector. Do you NOT understand what the ###### I'm saying? Surge Protector protects your stuff from surges from the wall plugin, it doesn't do anything more than "balance" the amount of power coming in. Once you press the POWER button, you get a "surge" of power to your PC to kick start it on. THAT'S what damages the electronics. Jesus, even my god damn mother understands this and she's computer illiterate.

2 hours ago, BinaryData said:

God, you are DUMB. When you press the freaking power button, it's the initial release of power from the surge protector. Do you NOT understand what the ###### I'm saying? Surge Protector protects your stuff from surges from the wall plugin, it doesn't do anything more than "balance" the amount of power coming in. Once you press the POWER button, you get a "surge" of power to your PC to kick start it on. THAT'S what damages the electronics. Jesus, even my god damn mother understands this and she's computer illiterate.

Take a chill pill, babe.

4 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Once you press the POWER button, you get a "surge" of power to your PC to kick start it on. THAT'S what damages the electronics. 

Include numbers with that hypothesis.  For example, a power switch fails after too many power cycles.  Its specification number:  100,000  cycles.  That means power cycling seven times every day will cause it to fail in ...  39 years.  

Disk drives are typically rated for 50,000 power cycles.  Power cycling seven times every day (even vacation days and holidays) means it will fail in ... 19 years.

They left their computer on for months.  When they finally power cycled it, it would not start.  So the *knew* power cycling was destructive.  Then I studied it.  A bootstrap resistor to enable the power supply regulator (only during power on) had failed due to too many hours of operation.  Power cycling did not do that damage.  Too many hours powered on caused a failure.  They used speculation and emotion.  Once hard facts with numbers are provided, then a fear is fictional.

Power cycling is destructive only in wild speculation.  Once we include numbers, a conclusion is 100% reversed.   Best has always be to turn it off when done.  Best conclusion only comes from others who first learn facts and numbers rather then endorsing what is only wild speculation.

What is this part destroyed by power on?  It was never listed because it does not exist.  Most all failures are due to manufacturing defects.  Power cycling does not create the most common reasons for failure. Only junk science created by observation proves power cycling is destructive; not facts, not numbers, and not knowledge about how hardware really works.

Used to let Workstation on for torrent downloading, configured a Raspberry Pi as a web torrentbox with Nas. Decreased electricity bills more than i thought it would.

Server is on all the time

Laptop i just close the lid and send it to sleep at night time, unless its ding something

A lot of misinformation being perpetuated in this thread. Modern components are not as prone to some of the problems being discussed here.

I turn it off if it occurs to me; otherwise, I don't sweat it.

Everything is turned off apart from tablets. I don't have any need to leave things on plus the missus has a fear of fire from electricals, everything is unplugged except from essentials like the fridge freezer.

most of the "big" stuff I don't turn off puts itself into hibernate mode after a while, but I do leave things like routers on (I've seen people actually turn everything off when they leave the home, I guess it's not necessarily a bad idea ?). At home I turn my computer off at night and when I leave, unless I have a very specific reason not to, which almost never happens. At work, unless I have a script running that I can't stop and that I couldn't put on one of the servers, I put my pc in hibernate so that I keep all my windows and stuff open for the next day. My understanding is that it technically turns them off too, is that right ?

I put my laptop to sleep at night. I've not had a desktop system at home for donkey's years.

I've hosted an online game at home for about 13 years and so I have a Linux based server that stays on 24/7. During the last hardware refresh, I bought a small system that is fan-less and consumes about 15 watts. I used to worry with the previous system what would happen if I had a fan failure when I was on holiday because it used to get hella hot when they did.