What books (are you) or (have you) read?

I'm currently reading a psychology book by a Dr. Lyle. H. Rossiter, Jr. M.D. titled " the liberal mind: the psychological causes of political madness.

link: The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness (Amazon.com)

excerpt

The Liberal Mind is the first in-depth examination of the major political madness of our time: The radical left’s efforts to regulate the people from cradle to grave. To rescue us from our troubled lives, the liberal agenda recommends denial of personal responsibility, encourages self-pity and other-pity, fosters government dependency, promotes sexual indulgence, rationalizes violence, excuses financial obligation, justifies theft, ignores rudeness, prescribes complaining and blaming, denigrates marriage and the family, legalizes all abortion, defies religious and social tradition, declares inequality unjust, and rebels against the duties of citizenship. Through multiple entitlements to unearned goods, services and social status, the liberal politician promises to ensure everyone’s material welfare, provide for everyone’s healthcare, protect everyone’s self-esteem, correct everyone’s social and political disadvantage, educate every citizen, and eliminate all class distinctions. Radical liberalism thus assaults the foundations of civilized freedom. Given its irrational goals, coercive methods and historical failures, and given its perverse effects on character development, there can be no question of the radical agenda's madness. Only an irrational agenda would advocate a systematic destruction of the foundations on which ordered liberty depends. Only an irrational man would want the state to run his life for him rather than create secure conditions in which he can run his own life. Only an irrational agenda would deliberately undermine the citizen’s growth to competence by having the state adopt him. Only irrational thinking would trade individual liberty for government coercion, sacrificing the pride of self-reliance for welfare dependency. Only a madman would look at a community of free people cooperating by choice and see a society of victims exploited by villains. [From The Liberal Mind; The Psychological Causes of Political Madness by Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr., MD]

also reading

Theology for Today 2nd Edition (Sorry. .Also Amazon)

Theology for Today: Elmer Towns. This is a comprehensive look at theology Proper including Pneumatology, Christology, Angelology, Satanology, demonology, Soteriology, Hamartiology, Anthropology, Ecclesiology and Eschatology. The book begins with a Prolegomena to Theology.

• 2 weeks later...

I am listening to a great audiobook right now.

For anyone who grew up in the 80s, and avid gamers - you will love Ready Player One.

Im sure many of you have heard, read or know about it - I highly suggest it.

Im on Chapter 26/40 - so please - no spoilers.

It is being made into a movie, directed by some guy named Spielberg in 2018.

Edited by T3X4S

On 1/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, LittleFroggy said:

I'm currently reading a psychology book by a Dr. Lyle. H. Rossiter, Jr. M.D. titled " the liberal mind: the psychological causes of political madness.

link: The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness (Amazon.com)

I hope you are are only reading that for laughs. Psychology book? LOL Books are supposed to make you smarter NOT dumber.

36 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

For anyone who grew up in the 80s, and avid gamers - you will love Ready Player One.

That is something I have never read so think you may have chosen my next book for me (but not the audio or digital version).

I have been reading a lot of graphic novels of late and just finished book 5 (of 6) of Preacher the other day. I recently also finished Chaos Monkeys by Antonio García Martínez.

9 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

That is something I have never read so think you may have chosen my next book for me (but not the audio or digital version).

I have been reading a lot of graphic novels of late and just finished book 5 (of 6) of Preacher the other day. I recently also finished Chaos Monkeys by Antonio García Martínez.

I highly recommend it.  My ADD makes reading difficult.  No matter how interesting, I am thinking of 100 different things while reading.  I have to re-read things 3x before it sinks in, but when it does - I usually can recite it word for word.  So audiobooks are great for me, especially since the Audible app has a "roll back 15 seconds" button.

The book is chocked full of 80s references, pop culture and video games of old.  I saw the reviews before downloading and decided to give it a try, Im glad I did.  It will be interesting to see how Spielberg turns it into a movie though.

My father recently gave me a book about Joseph Walker, called Westerly Man, the frontiersman who was pretty important in the days of western expansion of the United States - he is a relative of mine.

I spend much of my days reading/learning as much as I can, but usually science or history.

Also just finished Influx by Daniel Suarez.  A great high-tech sci-fi book.

Edited by T3X4S
  • Like 1

My work and my gaming time have cut back on the time I can allocate to reading. I used to be a big fan of the Dune series as a kid, including the more modern-ish extended universe of Brian Herbert. I haven't finished the last one yet. I don't know if I can recommend it, they're really interesting additions if you're already into the whole Dune universe, but as stand-alone I wouldn't know

15 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Yep, I listened to that one last year, bit of a slow start but once it gets into it I loved it.

14 hours ago, Cnónna said:

I'm illiterate :(

Already said above but Audiobooks FTW (Y)

Right now I'm listening to Fear the Sky by Stephen Moss, still early into it but It's OK so far.

I just finished the audio book version of the Alien Movies (1-4) which was pretty good.

Top "listen" for me (other than Harry Potter series) is still The Martian by Andy Weir

6 hours ago, Skiver said:

Yep, I listened to that one last year, bit of a slow start but once it gets into it I loved it.

Already said above but Audiobooks FTW (Y)

Right now I'm listening to Fear the Sky by Stephen Moss, still early into it but It's OK so far.

I just finished the audio book version of the Alien Movies (1-4) which was pretty good.

Top "listen" for me (other than Harry Potter series) is still The Martian by Andy Weir

Skiver - check out Influx - it was really good.

Just packed up like 5 boxes of books from uni etc into the garage for long term storage. I'm currently reading pulp sci-fi, which I'm ashamed of, but... I'm weak. So. There.

I will make the leap from that series to a collection of poems by Mazdak.

10 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Just packed up like 5 boxes of books from uni etc into the garage for long term storage. I'm currently reading pulp sci-fi, which I'm ashamed of, but... I'm weak. So. There.

I will make the leap from that series to a collection of poems by Mazdak.

Meh don't worry about it, I've never cared about the crap I've listened to on Audiobooks.

A year or two ago I went through the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent series. Teen fiction crap, but I enjoyed the storylines and characters and that's all that's matters. If you enjoy it then who cares what others think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently reading Erased by Kei Sanbe. It's a graphic novel or manga (what's the difference? Country of origin? Social stigma?) and I don't normally read the comic book format. I've tried many times, just don't like it. But other than the anime series (best series of 2016 IMO, live action or animated), it's the only other format it's in. There's no novel, just the manga/graphic novels, and they've only just began translating them to English. Officially anyway. There are fan translations. It's about a guy who inexplicably is thrust back in time a few minutes whenever tragedy strikes around him, and keeps doing it until he fixes it. I haven't gotten there in the book just yet, but in the show it's the first episode, but when his mother is murdered, he's thrust back to his childhood, where he's apparently to prevent a young classmate from being kidnapped and murdered by a serial killer who was never found (it's implied this is who killed his mother). The show was very good, surpassing a lot of great shows that came out, and apparently a lot of content didn't make it into the show.

If I can make it through this series, I'd like to read other graphic novels/manga. The Walking Dead being a big one. I've tried to start it (I watch the show), but can't get hooked on it. After all they've been through on the show, going all the way back to Atlanta is hard. Maybe if the show ever ends, I can start in on the books and take them separately.

I started House of Leaves late last year (got it for Christmas) and it's just not very good. The gimmicks aren't that impressive, though they haven't quite started getting crazy yet). Multiple pages of footnotes and every instance of the word 'house' being blue is about all it is so far. It's the latest version with all the tricks, and I've skipped ahead and seen them, just haven't reached them yet through progress. I feel like I see what the book's doing and I'm not falling for it. It's cleverness for cleverness' sake. I am curious what's down those stairs, but I don't get scared from horror, and if it's going that way, it's not going to have the desired effect. I dunno. I might keep going. Sometimes it just feels like more work than leisure to read it.

Can't recommend Ready Player One enough. The author's second book, Armada, is not as good, but worth your time if you liked RPO. It's really obvious what it's going for if you've read the book that inspired it (or seen the recent movie). I'm not going to say what that is, but reading a lengthy synopsis of Armada should give you a clue. Not trying to be mysterious, I'd just rather let it maintain some secrets, as it was a fun book to read. Ernest Cline has talent, he writes a bit of wish fulfillment (then again, so is Erased to anyone who's had classmates who were killed, I suppose), and he borrows a bit too much from pop culture, but he can tell a good story, which puts him over many others. At least, that's what I prefer reading, a story written by someone who knows how to tell a good story, as opposed to something that is technically sound, if the two must be exclusive. They usually aren't. But if they are...

I'm currently reading "Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting" by Pamela Druckerman.

My long-term goal, however, is to read all the books from Joseph Brodsky’s reading list.

• 6 months later...