What books (are you) or (have you) read?

Currently on book 12 of the Arisen series by Michael Stephen Fuchs. 

Book 13 (final in the series) is still in the works with no ETA but if you read all 12 plus the two prequel style books you'll probably not catch up before it's out as I think it's pretty much in the editing stages now.

If you love Spec Ops style stories or Zombies, this combines the two for a fairly action packed series that's written more like a TV show in that each book ends on a cliff hanger rather than any form of ending. It's one long continuous story of a mission and how it evolves. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Always looking for book recommendations :)

I'll tell you one book I do not recommend that I just finished also, Peter Benchley - Jaws

The normal rule is that the book is better than the movie and up until this book I'd agree that this stands true. However, this book focused too much on "life" outside of the water and the Shark. The events of peoples deaths (yes this sounds dark) were pretty dull and over a little too quickly. Don't even get me started on the ending, such an anti-climax to what was already a pretty tedious story. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is UK only but at the moment you can get Ready Player One for 99p for the Kindle. 

Link

• 1 month later...

I'm all about the self improvement. So here is some books I have read this year.

-          The miracle morning by Hal Elrod

-          Rich Dad Poop Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

-          The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

-          4 Hour workweek by Timothy Ferriss

-          Tools of Titans by Timothy Ferriss

-          Let Go by Pat Flynn

The list is longer, its just as an example :)

• 1 month later...

I went on a spree and read some older sci-fi (people like Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, etc) and some text books (High Cost of Free Parking, a Linguistics text book brilliantly named "Linguistics"), burned myself out so now I'm reading really cheap fantasy, sci-fi etc. Junk food for the brain. The last one had a lesbian vampire. That level of reading. The One Who Eats Monsters. Some Star Wars books I haven't previously read.

My brain does not want to learn things and violently lashes out at anything with a complex sentence.

Just finished Children of Time..

The best thing about starting to walk last year (fitbit) I do 1.5 hours every morning and has given me back books ;)  In the last year have devoured 60 books.. Audible books are better than sliced bread ;) Once I started doing the book while walking it expanded to my commute which is another hour a day vs the radio.. So at 2.5 hours every day you can burn through 1 to 2 books a week.. Your typical audio book is only 10 hours or so - 15 long one, etc.

Previous was A Gift of Time by Jerry Merritt - highly recommend.. Before that was Genome, 2nd book in the The Extinction Files - not sure if the end or not?  By AG Riddle.. Infinite, but wasn't all that.. Previous I had consumed all of the books in the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson read by RC Bray who is just fantastic Narrator.. Reason I had listen to Infinite was he was narrator and comune is on my list just because he is the narrator... He did a fantastic job on the fear saga series even though I didn't really like the last book that much.  Really Really looking forward to #5 in Expeditionary Force that comes out audible next week (preorded that).. Right now just doing short stories in Explorations: Through the Wormhole, guess there a bunch of books like this in the series.. Just started 2nd story so not sure about it yet.

Prob do The Frequency of Aliens Sorrow Falls, Book 2 by Gene Doucette (A spaceship next door) after the Zero Hour... Can not wait to hear more from that freaking crazy beer can  Skippy...

Sometime here soon going to work through.. The Complete Essays of Montaigne.. Have not read any of them in year and years and years.. And the audible version got great reviews, prob will not finish all at once but do a few here and there.. Couldn't beat the 49 hours of listen time for 1 credit... Previous BEST purchase ever on audible was the The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, 51 hours... And Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry was a killer use of 1 credit that came in at like 63 hours ;)  Wasn't complete though had to go find the couple stories that were missing to complete all of Sherlock Holmes..

In the last year some of my fav series were

We are legion (bobiverse) by Dennis E Taylor - highly recommend

Old Mans war by John Scalzi - its a bit older started in like 2005 I think.. But Got on John Scalzi kick and worked through pretty much everything he has written.

Magic 2.0 by Scott Meyer - Funny as ######.. Sure hope there is a #5 to this one..

NPCs (spells, swords and stealth series) by Drew Hayes..

Star Trek: Legacies - was ok.. Threw me back to when I was a kid reading the old star trek stuff again.. Will be reading more.. Prey series on my list.

I mostly do scifi and fantasy, but some nonfiction thrown in now and then.. Endurance by Scott Kelly was great!!

I will have to keep eye out on other sections for more book related threads..

Currently working my way through the Rage War Series by Tim Lebbon.

It's an OK series, it's never gonna win any awards but it's an easy read and doesn't require much thought.

On 1/23/2017 at 6:01 PM, T3X4S said:

I am listening to a great audiobook right now.

For anyone who grew up in the 80s, and avid gamers - you will love Ready Player One.

Im sure many of you have heard, read or know about it - I highly suggest it.

Im on Chapter 26/40 - so please - no spoilers.

It is being made into a movie, directed by some guy named Spielberg in 2018.

saw the movie trailer a coupel months ago, so picked up the book.  it is *really* good, loved all of the 80's stuff he tied in.

i hope the movie is as good, but i'm not holding my breath from seeing the trailers now that i've read it

right now i've reading a compilation of Phillip K Dick stories, after watching the shows on amazon

Edited by Buttus

• 1 month later...

Since the last post;

I've finished the Rage War series, it wasn't too bad in the end. It did feel like it ended way too soon and the author could have strung it out for another book.

Fight to Live by Dave Bowman which is the second book in its series. I wasn't overly keen on the first one but the second felt a little better. I didn't feel like it brought anything new to the whole post-apocalyptic genre but wasn't bad to fill some time between other things.

Artemis by Andy Weir - couldn't help but compare this with the Martian which unfortunately it really couldn't. It was a good story but it didn't feel like it really went anywhere and the main character kinda got on my nerves, it felt like a teenager's wet dream at times with the super hot, intelligent female protagonist who didn't really hide any of it but was hell bent on rebelling against everything. 

I've just started Arisen book 13: The Siege - This continues to be one of my favourite series of all time, it's been a while since I read one of these but I was immediately brought back into the world in which I'm torn between needing to know what happens to X but never wanting this to end.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Right now I am reading:

The Gothic Stained Glass of Reims Cathedral by Meredith Parsons Lillich

Beneath a Surface by Brad Samms

and just finished

The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy #1) by Katherine Arden

On 1/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, John. said:

Currently reading Seveneves and loving it. Absolutely loving it.

I loved that book. It was my first Neal Stephenson read. 

2/3 of the way through the 5 dysfunctions of a team.  This is a good book that reinforces siloing is bad, how to recognize it in yourself, amongst other things.  Good read for up and coming managers and executives.  It is a very easy read and can be done on a rainy day.  

https://www.tablegroup.com/books/overcoming-the-five-dysfunctions-a-field-guide

this is the book: https://www.tablegroup.com/books/dysfunctions