Merging threads

The only issue that I have with having one big topic is all those pictures that get posted: I don't have much data and while I don't mind the odd picture there and there it can get out of hands when trying to manage my data allowance.

1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

The only issue that I have with having one big topic is all those pictures that get posted: I don't have much data and while I don't mind the odd picture there and there it can get out of hands when trying to manage my data allowance.

Well, requiring them to be hidden by spoilers might help? I'm not sure if images and such are loaded in the background if spoilers is used.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Well, requiring them to be hidden by spoilers might help? I'm not sure if images and such are loaded in the background if spoilers is used.

That may be a question for @DaveLegg to answer. Also that wouldn't be a bad idea if there was to be one big topic - then that way those who browses while at work can do so without fear of having something show up that could land then in trouble.

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes, the images are still loaded even when they are inside the spoiler tag.

I wonder if the devs would look into having it so that they only load when the spoiler is opened.

Just now, Danielx64 said:

I wonder if the devs would look into having it so that they only load when the spoiler is opened.

Or people post text in the text topic and photos in the photo topic.

Either or! :p

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Or people post text in the text topic and photos in the photo topic.

Personally, it's kinda hard to do as both usually go hand-and-hand. Sometimes I just like to randomly reply with just an emoticon, e.g. :huh: however as this isn't text but an image, it technically isn't allowed in the text thread anymore. In fact, with this new logic in place, one could say the use of emoticons shouldn't be allowed either in a text only thread. ;)

Ultimately, it's fine, as I've been looking to increasingly decrease my presence anyways.

P.S. It occurs to me, instead of merging all the existing topics into one topic, just create an additional topic for text, images and videos. Everybody's happy then!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Personally, it's kinda hard to do as both usually go hand-and-hand. Sometimes I just like to randomly reply with just an emoticon, e.g. :huh: however as this isn't text but an image, it technically isn't allowed in the text thread anymore. In fact, with this new logic in place, one could say the use of emoticons shouldn't be allowed either in a text only thread. ;)

Ultimately, it's fine, as I've been looking to increasingly decrease my presence anyways.

P.S. It occurs to me, instead of merging all the existing topics into one topic, just create an additional topic for text, images and videos. Everybody's happy then!

The difference is the emoticons are not going to, for example, land someone in trouble at work or eat up their data allowance as they are only 1KB in size. The images some of you post are 10 times larger and more, with gifs hundreds of times larger, if not MBs.

There's really no issue here, you guys can talk all day long in the Text topic and post pictures in the Photo topic til your heart's content. Those are the conditions which define the topics. If you don't want to post in them then it's completely up to you. Or, you can enjoy the topics for their purpose and we get on with things. It's a non-issue.

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

There's really no issue here, you guys can talk all day long in the Text topic and post pictures in the Photo topic til your heart's content. Those are the conditions which define the topics. If you don't want to post in them then it's completely up to you. Or, you can enjoy the topics for their purpose and we get on with things. It's a non-issue.

And use the spoiler tag as needed?

5 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

And use the spoiler tag as needed?

As needed for what? To hide images in? No, we've already covered this. It does not prevent the images from being loaded, and I don't think we're about to start changing the forum behavior and code to suit the "needs" of one topic.

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

As needed for what? To hide images in? No, we've already covered this. It does not prevent the images from being loaded, and I don't think we're about to start changing the forum behavior and code to suit the "needs" of one topic.

No I mean to stop people complaining about some of us postings videos in the text topic, @Nick H.knows what i'm talking about.

6 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I didn't see what the problem was anyway, the pics and gifs were hidden behind spoiler tags, so for everyone else, they should have known just from the member posting, it's probably a pic of gif, and move on.

I didn't see the problem ethier, but clearly thread lurkers were unhappy for whatever reason. I don't fully understand the logic though, text is allowed in the Picture Thread but images aren't allowed in the Text Thread. :huh:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Is Neowin having a bandwidth problem? When I did load an image it was a URL pointing to an image. I doubt that many users are still on a dial up. But whatever will be will be,:)

3 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Then you have to open each one up to see what it is, same bandwidth usage just less convenient.

Well based on my opinion and   interaction with:

@Hum

@brpsycho

@Frank B.

@Raze

@LimeMaster

@The Evil Overlord

@TAZMINATOR

@DConnell

@Arachno 1D

@Victor Rambo

@Boo Berry

@Gary7

@Circaflex

We sometimes conversate and post reply images/gifs for our own conversation, which anyone (And several have) can join in.

1. I do see an issue with someone clicking the spoilers and getting an image at work.

2. I don't want a mega thread on my slow ass work internet connection, pages never load and/or are blocked.  (Yes I browse neowin at work, it's called being productive... ;) )

3. Would a warning saying "spoilers" MIGHT contain  images be a compromise? Perhaps changing the thread name to random stuff thread? Whilst keeping the funny images.

4. I do see value in keeping threads separate.

There, tried my best at being objective.

Also, love neowin just for the fact this is being considered in a civil manner :D 

edit:

Would like to add:

People complaining about images on the text thread AND not   text on the image thread is HIGHLY BIASED

Edited by Draconian Guppy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Then you have to open each one up to see what it is, same bandwidth usage just less convenient.

I would open up the link in a new tab, not sure if it would load from this site or the URL that was posted..

A lot of you are talking about things like bandwidth but I, for one, am more worried about my boss seeing animated gifs of exploding cars and dancing kitten on my screen than surges of network usage from my pc. That, to me, is the main interest of the text thread. I can also do fine with spoiler tags allowing me to display images only when I really want to. The funny pictures thread, however, as much as I like it, I won't go there at work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brpsycho said:

A lot of you are talking about things like bandwidth but I, for one, am more worried about my boss seeing animated gifs of exploding cars and dancing kitten on my screen than surges of network usage from my pc. That, to me, is the main interest of the text thread. I can also do fine with spoiler tags allowing me to display images only when I really want to. The funny pictures thread, however, as much as I like it, I won't go there at work.

Separate reasons for me, ATM it's 5mb for around 100+ users so the funny pictures is a no no at work. I will go there occasionally. 

• Like 1

All I can think is here we go again...

This pretty much happens every year or 2, someone gets their panties in a bunch, goes on a march, finds a mod in agreement, and tries to sterilise the innocent fun some other members were having.

If this is going to be neowin moving forward, then ban all members metropolis and jokes threads, and be done with the whole thing!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

All I can think is here we go again...

This pretty much happens every year or 2, someone gets their panties in a bunch, goes on a march, finds a mod in agreement, and tries to sterilise the innocent fun some other members were having.

If this is going to be neowin moving forward, then ban all members metropolis and jokes threads, and be done with the whole thing!

My last post on this is that users should let the Staff do their job and not involve yourself in trying to post what is wrong with a Thread. If you see a problem there is a report post button. To openly post about it makes things worse. Do your job as a member and let The Staff do theirs. They know what they are doing..

23 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Well based on my opinion and   interaction with:

@Hum

@brpsycho

@Frank B.

@Raze

@LimeMaster

@The Evil Overlord

@TAZMINATOR

@DConnell

@Arachno 1D

@Victor Rambo

@Boo Berry

@Gary7

@Circaflex

We sometimes conversate and post reply images/gifs for our own conversation, which anyone (And several have) can join in.

1. I do see an issue with someone clicking the spoilers and getting an image at work.

2. I don't want a mega thread on my slow ass work internet connection, pages never load and/or are blocked.  (Yes I browse neowin at work, it's called being productive... ;) )

3. Would a warning saying "spoilers" MIGHT contain  images be a compromise? Perhaps changing the thread name to random stuff thread? Whilst keeping the funny images.

4. I do see value in keeping threads separate.

Or perhaps a new thread in which our "multimedia" random conversation is the standard? Label it as potentially containing images, gifs, etc. up front, so people can decide if they want to enter. I can see both sides, and while I agree that the images can be an issue for those with limited bandwidth, just telling people to post the images in the Random Pic thread isn't the answer either. The images were usually an integral part of the conversation rather than just random cool/funny images. It just doesn't serve the same purpose.

My vote would be for a new thread that would work the same way the Council used the Random Text thread. IMO that would be the best compromise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DConnell said:

Or perhaps a new thread in which our "multimedia" random conversation is the standard? Label it as potentially containing images, gifs, etc. up front, so people can decide if they want to enter. I can see both sides, and while I agree that the images can be an issue for those with limited bandwidth, just telling people to post the images in the Random Pic thread isn't the answer either. The images were usually an integral part of the conversation rather than just random cool/funny images. It just doesn't serve the same purpose.

My vote would be for a new thread that would work the same way the Council used the Random Text thread.

"Official Neowin Lounge"   aka come and slack with teh Council!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

"Official Neowin Lounge"   aka come and slack with teh Council!

Precisely.

57 minutes ago, DConnell said:

My vote would be for a new thread that would work the same way the Council used the Random Text thread. IMO that would be the best compromise.

"The Council"? Seriously? This is what is wrong with this community IMO. A vocal minority trying to dictate what is and isn't allowed. The Text topic clearly says:

Quotes, stories, jokes...anything that is text based can be put here.

If the Photos topic was being used for something other than photos it would be an issue too. However, it's clear that the Text topic was being used for all content types. It is not "bias".

I know most of the people who take part in the image posting joined during the "race to x million" posts era of Neowin, but let me tell you the last time a group of members tried to call the shots and how things were run they were swiftly shown the door. It's not happening. If you don't like that, be my guest and leave.

• Like 3