[Neowin Forums] How to remove non-techinal posts from your Mini Spy viewing experince?

It has come to my attention that some members do not like seeing posts that aren't of a serious nature. So I've decided to make a short post detailing how you can remove these from your viewing experience:

First things first: Switch to the Orion theme temporarily if you are using Darkside:

You can select the theme by going to the top right of the page and clicking on your member avatar for the menu dropdown.

Once you are done or if you were already using it, look at the Mini Spy:

w3FC2tE.png

At the top right hand side there's a link that says NSFW Filter Disabled. Click it so it changes to NSFW Filter Enabled, then refresh the page to update the contents of the Mini Spy.

EnRV5Nt.png

Now you will notice that the Mini Spy no longer shows certain threads. These threads are marked with a NSFW tag because they contain content not suitable for all ages. Threads can also contain this tag if they're deemed too casual, so thread authors put the tag in to reduce the amount of clutter in the Mini Spy.

We're still not done yet though. There's another feature I would like to explain. This feature I believe is called the Mini Spy Filter. It basically allows you to control which sections you see & don't see. So as you can already tell, it gives you greater control than the NSFW Filter.

Anyways, at the right hand side of each section or sub section you will see a coloured eye with the text Mini Spy - Included. This basically means that all the thread posts in the section will show up in the Mini Spy:

3IYYeAi.png

As with before, clicking the text will change the text to Mini Spy - Excluded. This obviously means posts from the section will not show up after a page refresh:

V65jTNI.png

It should be noted that you will need to check through each section as a lot of them have sub sections.

That's all folks! It's up to you which sections/threads you deem too unbearable to look at.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

This also works on The Darkside Theme for me anyway using Fx 51Beta12

The NSFW Filter doesn't appear on the Mini Spy when using Darkside. The other filter does though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

It has come to my attention that some members do not like seeing posts that aren't of a serious nature. So I've decided to make a short post detailing how you can remove these from your viewing experience:

That's all folks! It's up to you which sections/threads you deem too unbearable to look at.

Excellent job, LimeMaster.   Thanks for the information.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

The NSFW Filter doesn't appear on the Mini Spy when using Darkside. The other filter does though.

It shows in the thread where you have to change the setting for it not to show. I see what you mean though. That is way too bright for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

Thank you @Limemaster - now all that's needed is people to RTFM!

7 minutes ago, Raze said:

Excellent job, LimeMaster.   Thanks for the information.

Thanks guys! Hopefully it will make people aware of those features. I'm tired of dealing with people who don't like our Members' Metropolis threads.

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It shows in the thread where you have to change the setting for it not to show.

That's only the Mini Spy Filter. The NSFW Filter (which is at the top right hand of the Mini Spy) is not present in Darkside.

Just now, LimeMaster said:

Thanks guys! Hopefully it will make people aware of those features. I'm tired of dealing with people who don't like our Members' Metropolis threads.

That's only the Mini Spy Filter. The NSFW Filter (which is at the top right hand of the Mini Spy) is not present in Darkside.

I know that is why I posted this

I see what you mean though.

It should be on every theme or skin.

• Like 2

Just now, Gary7 said:

I know that is why I posted this

It should be on every theme or skin.

My bad. :)

Yeah, the devs need to fix it. Though the dev that coded Darkside doesn't seem to be around at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, xendrome said:

New feature request, an option to disable ALL non-technical forums from view/browsing, especially the political crap.

That is Baloney. You already can using that do not display thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

New feature request, an option to disable ALL non-technical forums from view/browsing, especially the political crap.

That's what this thread teaches you how to do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

No only for the mini spy, I'm talking about for the whole forum/site, across the board.

Oh, you should definitely request it then. I'm all for it. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

No only for the mini spy, I'm talking about for the whole forum/site, across the board.

But Frank and Circaflex were complaining about those threads showing up in mini spy.

That's the reason LimeMaster posted this tutorial for those people for good viewing experience..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TAZMINATOR said:

But Frank and Circaflex were complaining about those threads showing up in mini spy.

That's the reason LimeMaster posted this tutorial for those people for good viewing experience..

Right I get that, but the spirit of the issue is for people who don't want to see that garbage, hiding it in the mini-spy is a good start.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xendrome said:

You will lose half of the membership, just look at the post count on those sections you want removed.:)

42 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You will lose half of the membership, just look at the post count on those sections you want removed.:)

He means that he wants the ability to disable them from view. He wasn't suggesting that he wants them removed completely for everybody.

Edited by LimeMaster
  • Like 2

He means that he wants the ability to disable them from view. He wasn't suggesting that he wants them removed them completely for everybody.

When it is referred to as Garbage, one thinks it is to be trashed..

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

When it is referred to as Garbage, one thinks it is to be trashed..

Even if he thinks that. His suggestion is not a bad one. It wouldn't ruin any of the non-technical discussion threads. 

41 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

What LimeMaster describes in this tutorial is also actually already the default as a guest, we made it that way so it's safe to browse at work by default. 

I figured that would be the case. The tutorial was aimed at registered users. :) 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Even if he thinks that. His suggestion is not a bad one. It wouldn't ruin any of the non-technical discussion threads. 

Just look at the activity in those sections. Most of the members that post there would leave possibly. This section IMHO should not appear on the front page.

23 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Just look at the activity in those sections. Most of the members that post there would leave possibly. This section IMHO should not appear on the front page.

Thing is, his suggestion is for optional feature that a set group of members will use. It's not like it would decrease activity from the said sections, because the people who don't want anything to do with those sections don't visit them anyway. The feature would basically just expand on the wide variety of filters we have here already. I see no problem with that. 

• Like 1

Thing is, his suggestion is for optional feature that a set group of members will use. It's not like it would decrease activity from the said sections, because the people who don't want anything to do with those sections don't visit them anyway. The feature would basically just expand on the wide variety of filters we have here already. I see no problem with that. 

I believe at one time it was like that.