Missing Tabula Rasa, what replacement would work?

Do you want a game like Tabula Rasa is that what you are asking about? Because there really isn't any MMO's like Tabula Rasa still to this day. Planetside 2 maybe, especially with the player done buildings now.  There really isn't a 3rd person (or 1st person for that matter) action based shooter with RPG elements that's also an MMORPG style game. At least not in NA or Europe.

The Mass Effect series is probably the closest I can come up with (and Andromeda is coming out soon.)  No MMO features of course, and I haven't actually played Tabula Rasa (my internet was just getting decent again when it died.)

There's Perpetuum, but I know very little about that one.

If you don't mind it being a little weird on the story handling (they keep changing it so I have literally no idea how it is from the beginning) Warframe is a lot of fun.  The basic gameplay is four person coop FPS matches in randomized maps on different planets, ranking up your weapons and 'frame and finding mods (which can also be ranked up) and there's plenty of quests to do and things to build and whatnot.

It's got a pay to get stuff done faster element, but it's mostly still free unless you're just that impatient/entranced.

6 hours ago, LostCat said:

The Mass Effect series is probably the closest I can come up with (and Andromeda is coming out soon.)  No MMO features of course, and I haven't actually played Tabula Rasa (my internet was just getting decent again when it died.)

There's Perpetuum, but I know very little about that one.

Perpetuum closed down, or is in the process of closing down. Sadly it never caught on even though it was a pretty good game. Quite unique.

6 hours ago, margrave said:

M.E. is awesome. Pre-ordered!

Thanks guys!

I would wait to pre-order tbh.  Don't get me wrong, normally I love Bioware and all. But after Inquisition, I'm not super sure they can handle a story heavy deep RPG anymore like they used to. Inquisition's story beats were just all over the place and some never got resolved or mentioned again. Then again, I have very little doubt that Andromeda will be a fine game - just the story seems to be the weakest point now.

6 hours ago, LostCat said:

If you don't mind it being a little weird on the story handling (they keep changing it so I have literally no idea how it is from the beginning) Warframe is a lot of fun.  The basic gameplay is four person coop FPS matches in randomized maps on different planets, ranking up your weapons and 'frame and finding mods (which can also be ranked up) and there's plenty of quests to do and things to build and whatnot.

It's got a pay to get stuff done faster element, but it's mostly still free unless you're just that impatient/entranced.

Warframe is an awesomely fun game. Highly optimized on PC and its also on consoles now (and fairly close to parity with the PC version these days). But as a compaion to Tabula Rasa, eh maybe the combat style (not really though lol space ninjas!) but not much else. That's why I didn't even think of Warframe earlier. I mean I've been playing MMORPG's since 1995 or so and play everything I can get my hands on these days. There really isn't much out there like what Tabula Rasa was, unless you just go with the combat mechanics, then sure why not :D

Tabula Rasa was a Richard "Lord British" Garriott ,of Ultima series fame, MMO.  His current MMO is "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" but it's more a spiritual successor to the Ultima series than a Tabula Rasa followup.  You still may want to check it out.  I kickstarted it but haven't really spent much time with it.  It's not a huge AAA title like Mass Effect though so if you go in expecting that you'll be disappointed.

If you absolutely want SciFi:

- and you want the simplified actionRPG gameplay/combat, then it's Wildstar

- and you want the visual and world style then there's the never ending and never dying Anarchy Online. Possibly the oldest still running MMO today, and with a recently upgraded graphics engine into the upgraded AoC and TsW engine. 

Eh, Anarchy Online is far from the oldest MMO going. Meridian 59, Furcadia (ugh) are both way older (like 4-5 years older) and then there is Realm Online, which was literally the first MUD accepted as an MMORPG and that's been going since 95 I believe. Anarchy was launched in 2001 if memory serves. Still, certainly old and I suppose if you want a sci-fi setting that's about as good as you could get other than Wildstar but that game is way, way different gameplay wise of course.

Wow, I wasn't even sure TR was out of beta.

Wildstar is a very solid game with the free combat style. It isn't FPS-type like TR, but the dodging and skill use is far more dynamic than almost anything else. There is also a lot to do.

AO... feels its age. Almost everyone multiboxes and various exploits/credit mining makes the ingame credits insanely inflated. I've been kinda following along in the RP community for like 7 years now... doesn't seem to be much being added, but they are keeping it alive. Even selling it through Steam now.