'Crucifixion maybe too distressing,' theology students warned

Bible students have been warned they may see distressing images while studying the crucifixion of Jesus.

Universities are issuing a range of warnings to students in case they feel the need to leave lessons due to graphic content.

Others include veterinary students being warned they will be working with dead mice, archaeology students that they will see a skeleton and forensic science pupils that they will be studying blood.

Critics say the move will create a "snowflake" generation of students unable to cope with the world.

The University of Glasgow, part of the elite Russell Group, has introduced the warnings to its theology students studying Creation to Apocalypse: Introduction to the Bible (Level 1).

In one lecture about Jesus, it warned students it "contains graphic scenes of the crucifixion" adding that it would be flagged up to students beforehand.

The same centre has issued warnings to its veterinary students who work with dead animals and those studying Contemporary Society who will be discussing illness and violence.

It has defended the move saying it is to protect pupils' mental health.

A spokesman for Glasgow University said: “We have an absolute duty of care to all of our students and where it is felt course material may cause potential upset or concern warnings may be given.” 

Forensic science students at Strathclyde University have been given a "verbal warning at the beginning of some lectures where sensitive images, involving blood patterns, crime scenes and bodies are in the presentation".

At Stirling University archaeology students were given advanced warning that they would be shown an image of a well-preserved archaeological body in case they found it "a bit gruesome".

It has also told its gender studies students: “We cannot anticipate or exclude the possibility that you may encounter material which is triggering [ie, which can trigger a negative reaction] and we urge that you take all necessary

precautions to look after yourself in and around the programme.”

In some case students are allowed to absent themselves from the class and lecturers are advised to check on them later in the day.

Scottish Tory education spokesperson Liz Smith said it was just "ridiculous".

"Universities are meant to be a place of learning where concepts are challenged and tricky subjects debated," she said.

"That will become increasingly difficult if they go too far out of their way to ensure everything survives the politically correct test. Some of the examples set out here are patently ridiculous."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/05/crucifixion-maybe-distressing-theology-students-warned/

Dumb, da, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Like 3

More PC rubbish, what happens when these people get out into the big bad world and face any number of more traumatic experiences? Kids need to be exposed to difficult situations, obviously in a controlled way, in order to be able to face the world confidently.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

More PC rubbish, what happens when these people get out into the big bad world and face any number of more traumatic experiences? Kids need to be exposed to difficult situations, obviously in a controlled way, in order to be able to face the world confidently.

Yep. Don't DARE sing baa baa black sheep... it could be offensive.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

what happens when these people get out into the big bad world and face any number of more traumatic experiences?

I can't imagine anything would prepare someone for the real world more than bible class.......

I never thought I would see the word "triggering" in an official document. I'm ashamed at this, especially from a place that is designed to educate people, not hide them from events (whether they happened or not). 

• Like 2

What's next, the medical courses are going to be too graphic for those who are studying to become a Doctor? Let's not forget that med students might see a corpse, and therefore be traumatized for life!

Agree 100%! Kids are way to protected these days... How are these sheltered kids going to be able to handle seeing a real life crucifixion when they get out in the real word? LOL Kidding aside... The other examples were stupid but I can see how an image of a crucifixion could be unsettling to someone who didn't grow up going to that type of church. Hell, I am a recovering Catholic and the crucifixion is still creepy to me but than again all religions are weird cults.

Edited by oldtimefighter

I could almost see this in a grade school class - crucifixion was a pretty nasty form of execution. But in a college class? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Catholic school kids see a representation of the Crucifixion every day in school without being triggered. What does it say when your average 6 year old is made of sterner stuff than the college students? At what point is "fragility" taught as a life skill?

Just now, DConnell said:

Meanwhile, Catholic school kids see a representation of the Crucifixion every day in school without being triggered. What does it say when your average 6 year old is made of sterner stuff than the college students?

i think catholic school students are way more scarred for life than any precious snowflake seeing some "trigger"

2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i think catholic school students are way more scarred for life than any precious snowflake seeing some "trigger"

Is the religion-bashing really relevant here? Can we please keep that sort of thing in the Official Religion thread where it belongs?

1 minute ago, DConnell said:

Is the religion-bashing really relevant here? Can we please keep that sort of thing in the Official Religion thread where it belongs?

i'd say your comment was just a blatant. (and relevant)

1 minute ago, Jason S. said:

i'd say your comment was just a blatant. (and relevant)

All I was saying was that if a 6 year old can handle it, a college student should be able to. I only mentioned Catholic School at all because it was relevant as a venue in which children see a representation of a crucifixion every day.

Your comment was just religion-bashing, which has its own thread.

Let's try to keep this focused on how utterly stupid trigger-warnings in this context are.

I wonder why they didn't consider a trigger warning for the title "Creation to Apocalypse: Introduction to the Bible (Level 1)." The Apocalypse sounds pretty scary.

Maybe the campus website should have spoiler text code added so you can only read the scary thing if you want to.

The snowflakes...So sick of em.

Safety zones, triggers, etc. All from a generation who played sports where no score was kept, they were always told they were wonderful and special, grades were calculated on steep curves, everyone gets into college, no one is to blame for their actions and they're shocked to hear others disagree with their assumptions. 

Most of the generation is hardwired to be Valley Girls, one step away from Sly Stallone coming out of the deep freeze :angry:

11 hours ago, Hum said:

and the real historical Christ, wasn't nailed up.

Not as commonly depicted, at least. It's common knowledge that the nail was put through the wrist rather than the hand. But crucifix manufacturers generally go with tradition rather than accuracy.