Easy way to enter random complex WiFi passwords into your devices.

** Yes i'm aware that Google saves wifi passwords which can make it easier on devices tied to a google account**

Everyone would love to use a nice gibberish password for their wifi, but it can be a pain the ass entering that long password into your device. So some people opt for a less secure password. Below I'm going to show you two ways which greatly simplifies it.

First is to use NFC.

On your android device, you can use applications like Tag writer to create NFC tags.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nxp.nfc.tagwriter&hl=en

The second Method is to use an OTG adapter and a Yubikey

A video on how to do that can be found here.

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

None of this seems like an "easy" way to do anything. 

Actually the NFC was pretty easy. Imagine if you had a guest network with a nice long password. A person you wanted to connect to the guest network has an Android NFC capable phone. Touch the NFC... boom connected!

If its a Windows Phone you can use provisioning packages

WPA2 Enterprise is also a good choice as most of the tools are Personal only.

7 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Actually the NFC was pretty easy. Imagine if you had a guest network with a nice long password. A person you wanted to connect to the guest network has an Android NFC capable phone. Touch the NFC... boom connected!

and everyone has an NFC enabled phone? no... 

seems an over complicated solution to a non existing problem. 

Just now, HawkMan said:

and everyone has an NFC enabled phone? no... 

seems an over complicated solution to a non existing problem. 

In any case, it fits my needs perfectly.

I like to use a passphrase with words that only I would know. I make sure to add spaces and punctuation.

"My wacky cousin Bob is a slob and a blob!"

Just now, Circaflex said:

And that is all that matters tbh.

Yep, just thought this might fits someone else's need too.

6 minutes ago, Cnónna said:

I just use 1234567890987654321qwertyuiopoiuytrewQ no ones guessing that :shifty:

Except for the people who just copied what you typed and added it to a 1 billion+ Wifi password wordlist :D

Which using a i5 and an older GTX graphics card will find your password in under 8 hours.  Probably sooner if it starts with digits. In that case probably under 30 mins. ;)

17 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I use http://www.passwordcard.org/en but my guest network password is pretty weak, then again it is isolated and I am not really all that worried by it.

19 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yeah, they do the same thing...

52 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

pfff I use 12345asdf 

I use that for my bank accounts, all of them.N8AMexB.gif

57 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Except for the people who just copied what you typed and added it to a 1 billion+ Wifi password wordlist :D

Which using a i5 and an older GTX graphics card will find your password in under 8 hours.  Probably sooner if it starts with digits. In that case probably under 30 mins. ;)

am not that silly I left out a z in the middle :shiftyninja:

49 minutes ago, Skyfrog said:

My password is passw0rd. It's impossible to guess because I changed the o to an 0.

I'd have never guessed that WOW!

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

** Yes i'm aware that Google saves wifi passwords which can make it easier on devices tied to a google account**

Everyone would love to use a nice gibberish password for their wifi, but it can be a pain the ass entering that long password into your device. So some people opt for a less secure password. Below I'm going to show you two ways which greatly simplifies it.

The second Method is to use an OTG adapter and a Yubikey

So, how do you like the Yubikey? I've been thinking about trying one out.

1 minute ago, Joe User said:

So, how do you like the Yubikey? I've been thinking about trying one out.

honestly it's been YEARS ago that I used it for it's intended purpose. Now I just cannibalize it for 2 static passwords.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

honestly it's been YEARS ago that I used it for it's intended purpose. Now I just cannibalize it for 2 static passwords.

Fair enough, I guess they never really took off. They did have some promise though.

17 hours ago, warwagon said:

Imagine if you had a guest network with a nice long password.

These are for your guests?  That is not easier.. Its a guest network!!  Why would you make the  psk so complicated?  Make it something simple to type in, then if you wanted added security just use captive portal.  With a voucher or password system to keep your war drivers from using it.  Or for that matter just make it open and use a captive portal.. Hand them a simple voucher code..

A password can be simple to type in and remember, and still complicated for a bruteforce, etc.

For android you could also put your password in a QR code that auto connects them, for windows or apple might have some issues but you could still let them scan your code and then copy and paste the psk.

Again guest network would be limited to internet only, or maybe you let them use your printer?  Select things "guest" network should not be able to see any of your other stuff.  So it clearly does not need to be all that secure.  Now your wifi that you use and have access to your stuff.  Then that can be eap-tls based, enterprise for sure, or yea very complex psk for devices you might need to access your normal networks or other stuff that do not support enterprise wpa eap methods, etc.

I can tell you for sure none if this would make it easier for "guests"  Shoot most users don't even know how to do simple scan of QR code ;)  And now you want them to use a yubi key?  Your much better off just texting them the psk and letting them copy and paste it!!

I can tell you another thing, I would never give some "guest" device access to my normal network anyway.  You have zero idea what is on that device.. While they can use my internet - they can not talk to my devices..

Yubi key latest version went proprietary on their code.. All the security stuff says stay away.. 

• 2 weeks later...

user:  Yeah hello fbi

fbi: yes how can we help you

user: Yeah I forgot my wifi password

fbi: sure whats the name?

user: Billy Bob..

fbi: Yeah we show you on 123 Street

user: Yup that is correct..

fbi: ok one sec.. you ready..

user: sure

fbi: 3L1t3h@ck0r!

user:  Oh yeah - thanks, I am in...

On my isolated guest wifi, i made the password "incorrect".

That way whenever my guests try without asking me for it and it fails....it tells them the password is "incorrect" 

:woot:

• Like 3