• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Have the recent details of the Nintendo Switch increased or decreased your interest/early adopter likelihood?

compl3x    6,290

So we know a fair bit more about the console. It's pricing, release date, and some of the games we can expect, has any of this altered your opinion either way?

I said that if Zelda was a launch title I might get one at launch, but I think I will allow others to do the early adoption while I lean back and see how it goes.

Andrew    2,861

I'm definitely buying one but I may wait until Xmas for a Mario bundle. I'm waiting to find out concrete details on how Zelda runs on the Wii U vs Switch, which may sway my decision.

I think the console has a lot of potential, but I think it is probably overpriced by £40/£50. It's an unfair comparison, but the internet is hell bent on comparing 3 year old PS4/X1 prices to a brand new console price. If it had matched the current RRP of both, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

margrave    1,390

Once I saw confirmation that the new Zelda was in fact a launch title, I preordered the Switch, and the Zelda. I can't wait for them, and the new Mario title as that looks awesome.

Vandalsquad    525

Not with the price in Australia.. Expected it, but always had a little hope they might try and have a competitive launch.

Switch $470

Decent controller $100

1 Game $100

Online $50?

$720 dollars.

Xbox One 4 games, 4K BluRay $400

PS4 Slim, 2 games, $420

Add $50 online for both.

PS4 PRO is $550. A new console with 10x the power.

I would have no problem with Nintendo pricing this at the price they have if it had any kind of competitive hardware, We're looking at a staggering 32gb of internal storage, a 720p screen, and a 3 hour battery life for a 3 hour charge time. I understand we can't fit the latest and greatest into a handheld and expect a decent price, but one or 2 decent things with the price they're charging would make it more appealing. And to be honest the blatant price gouging of customers of $120 for a joy controller, $120 for what is just a HDMI dock of plastic? And no doubt all VC Wii U games will have to be re-bought? Leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Time will tell if it pays off or not for them, guess we'll see in a year.

• Like 2

margrave    1,390

Wow, Australia prices are crazy!

Steve B.    467

At the moment, I'm skeptical, mainly due to costings. The cost of it, plus the games are pushing it beyond my price range now. With games costing £60, paid online and the rest, it's looking like I'm being priced out of it now unfortunately.

The games look great, but it's just too expensive for me now. £50 was pushing it tbh.

• Like 1

+Jimmy1    10,413

The pricing is too high.

I might buy it to play zelda then refund the console and sell zelda.

• Like 2

astropheed    2,309

It has decreased my interest in it to about 2/10, while before it was probably about 9/10. Almost every single thing they said about it was terrible and then I saw the price. I just kind of laughed a bit and promptly tried to ignore that it ever existed. It had so much potential...

I will however look forward to BotW on my Wii U.

• Like 2

LimeMaster    15,601
48 minutes ago, astropheed said:

I will however look forward to BotW on my Wii U.

Same. :D

Anibal P    2,055

I'm getting one, just not sure when

+Jimmy1    10,413

At that pricing? I will buy to only get a refund within 30 day

• Like 1

Mando    5,117

sadly my interest went through the floor with final pricing and the latest online play/rental thing.

too little to differentiate between the other bigger consoles already in the market, but im not the demographic they are selling it to. Woo gaming on a screen on the move...pity if im "on the move" im driving myself, not in the back of daddys broom broom. 

I fear we have another Wii U in the making, lovely kit that sold half a dozen bundles to the Nintendo loyal, suspect yet another lacklustre hardware box from nintendo that the general masses dont even give it a second thought. 

Eric    1,605

The pricing on everything is too high, IMO. Who wants to pay $70 for a proper controller that should come with a console?

• Like 1

+virtorio    3,163

I was planning on buying one pretty early on, but after the presentation, not so much. None of the launch games did anything for me. I'm interested in Zelda, but not convinced Nintendo can make a fun open-world game, and if they can, I'll just play it on on the Wii U.

If I buy one, I'll wait until price comes down or is bundled with a couple of games (I brought my Wii U bundled with Splatoon and Mario Kart 8). I can buy a 1TB PS4 bundled with Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky and Bloodborne for $529 NZD. The Switch console is $549 and games seem to be priced from $110 to $130. 

+mram    281

Nintendo Wii U, v2, but almost worse.

It really doesn't feel right.  They have compelling games, but not a lot, and nothing that could have just been provided on existing platforms.  I don't see an avenue for purely digital games.  Controllers again are a pure gimmick.  Less powerful system as a tradeoff for battery life, which is already pretty poor.

As entertainment goes, it's pretty hard to justify this vs something like an iPad for entertaining your kids.

All the effort put into controller tech is really really gimmicky.  XBox gave up on Kinect a long time ago for similar reasons (dev involvement).  No one will ever design top-quality games on a system that isn't precise.  So what you have here is something that feels like you're holding a large hot dog in your hands with four buttons and a stick.  Smaller and worse to handle than the WiiU "thingy".

There is nothing revolutionary here at all, every single game could have been provided on almost any other platform or other technology out there that Nintendo already provides.  If you were playing away from your home, you'll lose cartridges, low battery life, if you were playing in front of a TV it's weak - makes me feel again like hooking an iPad up to a TV.  Where's the juice, the power, the incentive?  I want those games on Nintendo platforms I already bought, so I'm insulted in general at this whole thing.

We'll see how it goes when the obvious furor dies down and people get a hold of it.

LostCat    1,327

It's about $50 more expensive than I hoped but I'll end up getting it as soon as I can.  My main priority in March is still updating my gaming PC since stuff is choking way too much.

RandPC    123

Went from moderately high to nonexistent.

+Asmodai    637

I was excited about it but now I'm going to wait and possibly pass on it.  There is no way I'm paying more for it than the Xbox One S.  I'm HOPING that MAYBE I'll be able to find one for cheaper on Black Friday or something later this year.  I will definitely NOT be buying this at launch though.  It's still the most powerful portable system though so if the price ever becomes reasonable (my definition of reasonable is lower than the Xbox One S) then I'll pick it up... maybe by then there will be more games I'm interested in as well.  Another option is if I get enough gift cards for Birthday, Christmas, etc. that I can put towards it so I'm not paying very much out of pocket then maybe I'll pick it up...

It seems all the news coming out about it just keeps getting worse.