Which Windows for older machines?

I have some old Xp era machines that I wanted resurrect, a Dell desktop & an old dog of a netbook somewhere. I have copies of Windows 7 & 10 to hand. Is there any reason I should install one version of Windows over any other? I am thinking primarily about performance here.

1 hour ago, Lamp0 said:

I have some old Xp era machines that I wanted resurrect, a Dell desktop & an old dog of a netbook somewhere. I have copies of Windows 7 & 10 to hand. Is there any reason I should install one version of Windows over any other? I am thinking primarily about performance here.

Depending on the specs (which you probably need to give for a better answer)... you'll probably get poor/fair results (but about the same) with either 7 or 10.  What will be the purpose of them?  Why not just donate them or throw Linux on it?

1 hour ago, Lamp0 said:

both work work just as well.

Ive upgraded an old Optiplex 710 that uses dual core atoms and windows 10 is fine on it, as was windows 7. if they are P4 era W10 wont probably install

Edited by Mando

1 hour ago, Mando said:

both work work just as well.

Ive upgraded an old Optiplex 710 that uses dual core atoms and windows 10 is fine on it, as was windows 7. if they are P4 era W10 wont probably install

I think the Desktop is a Pentium D, it may have win7 on it already.

The netbook I think is a 1 core Atom.

16 minutes ago, Lamp0 said:

If any of them are Sata ...maybe an SSD might speed up the windows 7 machine ... 

The crappy laptop in this video is running off a $150 (price 5 years ago) 16GB SLC IDE SSD

When I said 1991 I meant 2001

21 minutes ago, Lamp0 said:

p4D has its uses...the netbook....hmm try an xfe based linux distro, or wedge a door open with it :)

14 minutes ago, warwagon said:

If any of them are Sata ...maybe an SSD might speed up the windows 7 machine ... 

The crappy laptop in this video is running off a $150 (price 5 years ago) 16GB SLC IDE SSD

When I said 1991 I meant 2001

ahh a now defunct Gateway laptop (post gateway 2000)

5 minutes ago, Mando said:

p4D has its uses...the netbook....hmm try an xfe based linux distro, or wedge a door open with it :)

ahh a now defunct Gateway laptop (post gateway 2000)