Virtual Machine running kinda slow

I know the other thread is back on page 1 but it was a few weeks old, must've dropped off page 1 & then for some reason got bumped :-/ This topic is separate to asking about a free one & so this question doesn't get lost in all that debate .......

I'm finding that my web browser in my VM is very very laggy.

VM Workstation 12 Player

Windows 7 Pro

6GB RAM settings

2 Processor Cores

85GB HD

My PC is AMD Phenom 2 2.8Ghz.

I could be wrong as i'm no guru here but does it have 6 cores? I remember the number 6 for something to do with this. MOBO is ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 if that helps?

16GB RAM

The HD i've installed the VM on is a 2TB HD.

24 minutes ago, Co-ords said:

Are the VMtools installed & do you have no further driver issues in the VM?

beat me to it mate, make sure your VMTools is installed and up to date via the host console.

• Like 2

As far as i know i installed VMTools. I'd need that to be able to use USB devices etc right? I'm sure i needed to install it for something.

Is there a way to double check?

12 minutes ago, Technique said:

As far as i know i installed VMTools. I'd need that to be able to use USB devices etc right? I'm sure i needed to install it for something.

Is there a way to double check?

Should be a vmtools icon next to clock on the vm, also check on vm vid card that 3d accel is enabled, some browsers use gpu rendering.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Co-ords said:

Mando is the man... what he said ?

ofc thats If Workstation player works the same as Esxi. (im wagering it does) :) in Esxi it doesnt enable 3d acceleration on the VMs GPU by default. 

ill check later, dont have WS player installed atm.

• Like 2

Just the web browser is laggy? Do you know what model the hard drive is that the VM is running on? Is it one of those Eco drives possibly? I think Western Digital refered to them as Intellipower drives. 

The AMD Phenom 2 2.8Ghz is listed as mobile 2 core processor --> http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/cpu/amd-phenom™ You didn't put a mobile processor in your desktop machine did you?

To check the number off cores in your PC --> Press Control-Alt-Delete then "click" on task manger then the performance tab. How many CPUs listed?

@Mando is right about checking 3d acceleration is enabled.

You don't have a SSD? That's the biggest upgrade you can do to speed things up for your current PC and running VMs.

Edited by oldtimefighter

@Techniquegimme an hour or so, currently downloading VM workstation player 12 and ill build a W7 pro VM and verify the settings ive been on about for you. I gotta take a conference call with NetApp for work out of hours, but as soon as I have that out my hair, ill take a look properly, not a problem.

can you list what graphics card you have also please.

One thing I have noticed in setting up the VM, in setup, the following options, main one being the vGPU uses some of the allocated system ram (it makes sense when you think about it) and theres an option to enable 3D acceleration, ensure both are enabled & make sure you allocate enough ram to take the hit of 1gb of it potentially being used for the VM Graphics card, plus at least 2Gb ram to utilise as system ram for the VM. If you can also allocate at least 2 cores for use in the VM.

vmsettings.jpg

Edited by Mando

Ok ive just tested a VM with the settings in the post above and no lag what so ever in IE or chrome (both use GPU rendering if available)

so if those settings are the same on your machine, its either your CPU doesnt fully support the virtualisation features or the graphics adapter your using isnt being used in passthru. or the combination of ram allocated and cpu power (but i doubt that) doubt its your system hdd either. 

VM.jpg

On 22/01/2017 at 3:34 PM, Mando said:

Should be a vmtools icon next to clock on the vm, also check on vm vid card that 3d accel is enabled, some browsers use gpu rendering.

Yup it's listed. Version 10.0.10

@Stokkolm I only really use the browser in the VM tbh. I run it through that Sandboxie thing but it's also laggy without Sandboxie. The drive is a Seagate one IIRC

@oldtimefighter a mobile processor? As in for phones? Well i built this PC back in 2010 & IIRC when researching i was advised to go with that processor at that moment in time for my Desktop build.

with the ctrl+alt+del thing if i do it in the host machine .... 6 if i do it in the VM .... 2.

I do have a SSD yes.

@Mando Graphics is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460.

With your settings screenshot - mine looks exactly the same with the exception of i have hard drive listed on the left plus also on the left my Memory is 6GB whereas yours is 4GB. Everything else, both left & right pane is the exact same.

6 hours ago, Technique said:

@Stokkolm I only really use the browser in the VM tbh. I run it through that Sandboxie thing but it's also laggy without Sandboxie. The drive is a Seagate one IIRC

That's not that helpful. We would need to know the model. Open the Powershell console from your physical machine (not the VM) and run the following command: get-wmiobject Win32_DiskDrive | select Name, Model

Paste the output back here.

I am noticing that any Vmware VMs on my AMD servers are ridicoulsly slow.  Put them on intel and they are fast.  Yes there is a difference in processor, but I have freaking 32 cores available on my amd and anything more than 1 vm guest all run like dog poop.  Even on my 10 year old intels, they run lightspeed faster than my 1 year old amd. 

FWIW, Dual Opteron 6376

Molasses is a better term.

I am just going to install a fat os on it and call it a day...no more hypervisors on AMD's.

11 hours ago, Technique said:

Yup it's listed. Version 10.0.10

@oldtimefighter a mobile processor? As in for phones? Well i built this PC back in 2010 & IIRC when researching i was advised to go with that processor at that moment in time for my Desktop build.

with the ctrl+alt+del thing if i do it in the host machine .... 6 if i do it in the VM .... 2.

I do have a SSD yes.

@Mando Graphics is a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460.

With your settings screenshot - mine looks exactly the same with the exception of i have hard drive listed on the left plus also on the left my Memory is 6GB whereas yours is 4GB. Everything else, both left & right pane is the exact same.

Mine is on intel 2600k n w10 host ssd.

no perf slowdowns at all on vm its as smooth as the w10 host, probs your cpu or the platter, with sc302s post im leaning to cpu also. 

• Like 2

I know we have had some performance issues over the years with virtualization on AMD based systems.  They just never seemed to run as well as Intel based hosts.  Could just be anecdotal but I could tell every time I connected to a VM that was hosted on an AMD server.